Poor FM reception

charles999

:
CX-5 GX
Hi

I bought a used 2014 CX-5 GX (base model in Canada, no Nav, no bluetooth). The previous owner had the audio unit replaced for a Clarion CX-201. It works fine (USB, AUX, CD), except that FM reception is so poor that it unusable in this mode.
I demounted the unit from the dash, and found that the FM antenna was indeed connected to the back of the CX-201 (first thing I wanted to check). However there are two wires going to the FM antenna. A black and a blue one. The blue one is cut. Is this normal?

Here is a picture :
cx5antennaConnector.jpg

I also found out that this harness is being sold online for a few bucks. There is a blue wire but where should it be connected?
http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB14Agl...dapter-For-Honda-CRV-Civic-Fit-Mazda-CX-5.jpg

Or perhaps the blue wire provides positive 12 volts to an amplified FM antenna.

I believe that blue wire is used for powered antennas that raise and lower when you turn on the radio. So, cut for your application is correct.

Thanks. Anything else I could check?
Where is the actual antenna located? There is an antenna on the roof near the back of the car, but I thought it was the XM satellite antenna.

I have been asking this on my 2015 CX-5 Sport. Had what I think is a guess that it's in the rear window. My reception for college stations is no where near what I got on my Mazda5 with a whip antenna. Thinking about buying one of those adaptor cables and finding a place to put a whip antenna. If the FM antenna is in the fin it's not enough.

the blue wire should be connected to either accessory or the power antenna/amp turn on wire of the radio. The AM/FM antenna is integrated into the back glass and is an amplified unit requiring power.

the blue wire should be connected to either accessory or the power antenna/amp turn on wire of the radio. The AM/FM antenna is integrated into the back glass and is an amplified unit requiring power.

Can anyone confirm this? I wouldn't want to fry my stereo but would be my best bet in order to try to fix my problem.

thedaddyb is absolutely correct. The antenna is amplified and requires power for it to work. This is exactly why you have no reception on radio.

Folks who replied to this saying the blue wire should not be connected - please know what you're talking about before you give incorrect advice!

I received my new cable and installed it. I connected the blue wire of the antenna to a blue wire on the 16 pin connector on the back of the CX-201.
I couldn't find the installation manual of the CX-201, but the similar CX-501 have a blue "antenna power" wire listed in the manual.

So far so good. I get clear FM reception within my garage on channels I couldn't get outdoors.

thanks for your help.

Back