2014-2015 Mazda 3 "OEM" Hitch

Goalieman

:
Mazda 3 Sport
Purchased this from the dealership today and had them install it. It was purchased, site unseen, as the part wasn't listed on their website and the Parts guy said yes, they carry an OEM hitch. Does this look correct with the huge gap between the rear bumper and the hitch?

Also, I'll be taking it back to the dealership as there's not enough clearance between the muffler and the hitch and the muffler hits it every time I go up a hill or hit a certain RPM.

Anyone else purchase the OEM hitch?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 323
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 322
That's not the way it should look. I got an aftermarket hitch made by Curt and there's plenty of space between the muffler and the hitch.

Attachments

• KIMG0227.jpg
    KIMG0227.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 247
  • KIMG0226.jpg
    KIMG0226.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
I'm not really seeing the difference between YelPro's and Goalie's... AFAIK, there's no official OE hitch made by Mazda, but it's quite possible that the salesguy thought that whatever the dealer carried was 'OE'. A lot of companies will make upgrade parts for cars, and they're considered OE. I know VW does this with a lot of stuff, like the "OE" mats made by Monstermat, or the OE Drivergear Springs made by Eibach.

It is difficult the tell the difference with the angles that the pictures are taken so I'll try to explain in words. Based on what @Goalieman said it sounds like the hitch is set further up into the rear of the car more than mine to the point of the back of his hitch is touching the back of the muffler. Since the muffler is mounted on rubber mounts, as the car bounces around the muffler will bounce off the hitch. With my hitch it is separated more from the muffler. Meaning my hitch sticks out the back of the car more. In the side view of my hitch you'll notice that there's nothing right behind it. I took my other car to work today so I can't take a picture of the bottom of the car but I think you get the jest of it.

You're right in that many "OEM" accessories are made by other manufacturers. I think the OEM Mazda roof rack is made by Yakama.

Back