Volkswagen Ordered To Recall 500K Vehicles Over Its Own Malicious Programming

Hell yea.. get an awd tdi and tune it

Unfortunately, I don't think that combination was ever sold in the US. Maybe in the Audi A4, but not in the VW lineup.

EDIT: Well, not in the problematic 4-cylinder diesels anyway. There may be 6-cylinder TDIs with AWD, but those aren't affected.

What disgusts me is that the soon-to-be-appointed chairman described the crisis as threatening the existence of the company in one sentence, then spent the rest of the time talking about how they're addressing it. The USA Today article implies the opposite.

That wasn't my interpretation of the article. Maybe you and I define the word "could" differently. To me that just means it's a possibility.

But whatever.

Well, they really did do it to themselves. It's hard to have any pity on someone of age, with full possession of their faculties who chooses to play in a busy highway.

Obviously self-inflicted.

I'm certainly glad to not be an owner of any VW product, because owners are screwed to some degree too.

Obviously self-inflicted.

I'm certainly glad to not be an owner of any VW product, because owners are screwed to some degree too.

I have not followed it so much, but is the excellent Audi R8, and Lamborghini's various models also on the chopping block due to the parent company?

As if that wasn't bad enough, there are now suspicions being expressed about VW under-reporting injuries and deaths experienced in VW vehicles.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-07/for-volkswagen-new-questions-arise-on-u-s-injury-reporting

Experts now suspicious that VW has been under-reporting deaths and injuries per million vehicles in their cars. Note the graph below which shows that VW's self-reported figures are much lower than all other auto manufacturers. Interestingly, Honda and Fiat-Chrysler recently admitted to under-reporting and Honda paid a fine. You may be able to find your car brand on the graph. Mazda owners take note.

-1x-1.png

Last edited:
Volkswagen denies latest EPA claims

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/02/epa-slams-vw-for-more-violations.html

Monday's announcement adds more vehicles to the list of affected cars, including the 2014 VW Touareg, the 2015 Porsche Cayenne and the 2016 Audi A6 Quattro, A7 Quattro, A8, A8L and Q5.

The EPA said the German automaker installed software designed to defeat emissions tests on 2014 to 2016 vehicles with 3-liter, six-cylinder diesel engines. In September, the automaker acknowledged rigging emissions tests for four-cylinder diesel engines.

The new notice marks the first time a Porsche model has been implicated in the scandal.

As if that wasn't bad enough, there are now suspicions being expressed about VW under-reporting injuries and deaths experienced in VW vehicles.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-07/for-volkswagen-new-questions-arise-on-u-s-injury-reporting

Experts now suspicious that VW has been under-reporting deaths and injuries per million vehicles in their cars. Note the graph below which shows that VW's self-reported figures are much lower than all other auto manufacturers. Interestingly, Honda and Fiat-Chrysler recently admitted to under-reporting and Honda paid a fine. You may be able to find your car brand on the graph. Mazda owners take note.

-1x-1.png

Car accident deaths = paperwork trail/documentation. It would be fairly easy for an agency to audit false death reports by manufacturers. Honda and Chrysler got caught and so far Mazda is clean. VW looks a bit suspicious I agree. They are safe cars no doubt in fact probably the safest "feeling" car's I've driven but who knows what they're hiding at this point?

That said GM's heavy Camaro and freaking 4x4 Silverado are a bit surprising:

Kia Rio (149 driver deaths per million registered vehicle years)
Nissan Versa sedan (130)
Hyundai Accent, four-door versions (120)
Chevrolet Aveo (99)
Hyundai Accent two-door hatchback (86)
Chevrolet Camaro coupe (80)
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew cab, four-wheel drive (79)
Honda Civic (76)
Nissan Versa hatchback (71)
Ford Focus (70)

https://www.cars.com/articles/2015/...river-death-rate-small-cars-have-the-highest/

Last edited:
http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/03/news/volkswagen-scandal-carbon-dioxide-fuel-consumption/index.html

"the German automaker said Tuesday it had understated carbon dioxide emissions and fuel consumption figures when certifying some models.

It said about 800,000 vehicles were affected, and put a preliminary estimate of the cost to the company of the new admission at about two billion euros ($2.2 billion euros).
Volkswagen said it deeply regretted the new discovery, adding it would immediately begin discussions with relevant authorities to discuss the consequences."

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche-halts-cayenne-diesel-sales-volkswagen-probing-800000-more-cars/

Porsche has told its U.S. dealers not to sell any 2014–2016 Cayenne Diesel SUVs in stock. The stop-sale comes a day after the Environmental Protection Agency cited the 2015 Cayenne Diesel in Volkswagen’s second notice over Clean Air Act violations.

Porsche did not cite any reasons for the model-year expansions nor did it admit fault in using emissions-cheating software, as the EPA alleges, but said the “unexpected” notice caused it to “voluntarily discontinue sales” indefinitely. Other Volkswagen models with the Cayenne Diesel’s 3.0-liter V-6 engine, including the 2014 Touareg TDI and four 2016 Audi TDI models, were also named in the violation notice but continue to be sold.

Volkswagen To Recall More Vehicles In U.S., Canada Over Camshaft Issue
The troubled carmaker suspects the camshaft lobe may shear off

And this has what to do with the diesel issue? I have to ask, do you have a personal vendetta against VW for some past perceived injustice? This is a Mazda forum; we don't need to see every negative news story about VW.

Note, Mazda and several other manufacturers selling diesel-powered vehicles are also under scrutiny in Europe for excessive emissions. It's yet to be determined if this is the result of some "malicious" intent or just a fact that current laboratory tests don't simulate real-world conditions very well.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015...ons-idUSL8N1320KD20151108#VXAscFfJVB3tZdZm.97

Several Volkswagen engineers have admitted manipulating carbon dioxide emissions data, saying the ambitious goals set by former Chief Executive Martin Winterkorn were difficult to achieve, Bild am Sonntag reported.

The paper said VW engineers tampered with tyre pressure and mixed diesel with their motor oil to make them use less fuel, a deception that began in 2013 and carried on until the spring of this year.

"Employees have indicated in an internal investigation that there were irregularities in ascertaining fuel consumption data. How this happened is subject to ongoing proceedings," a Volkswagen spokesman said, declining to comment on the Bild report.

Volkswagen on Tuesday said it had understated the fuel consumption and carbon dioxide emissions of about 800,000 vehicles sold in Europe and later said it would foot the bill for extra taxes incurred by drivers as a result.

Volkswagen on Tuesday said it had understated the fuel consumption
Hyundai and Kia got caught a year ago for inflated EPA fuel economy claims. I just noticed Honda CR-V which just redesigned for 2015 MY with new Earth Dreams i-VTEC direct-injection 185 hp 2.4 L in-line 4 and CVT has lowered its EPA fuel economy ratings for 2016 although it basically unchanged from 2015. It seems overstating EPA fuel economy numbers is an industry wide practice.

EPA Estimated MPGs City / Hwy:
2015 Honda CR-V all-trims FWD 27/34 AWD 26/33
2016 Honda CR-V all-trims FWD 26/33 AWD 25/31

And this has what to do with the diesel issue? I have to ask, do you have a personal vendetta against VW for some past perceived injustice? This is a Mazda forum; we don't need to see every negative news story about VW.

Note, Mazda and several other manufacturers selling diesel-powered vehicles are also under scrutiny in Europe for excessive emissions. It's yet to be determined if this is the result of some "malicious" intent or just a fact that current laboratory tests don't simulate real-world conditions very well.

Yes this is a Mazda forum but I for one like this thread as it has turned into an aggregate on the articles and a voice for those to express their opinion. You don't have to drive a VW to be angry that your tax dollar were given to a company that deliberately lied.

Volkswagen sales plunge on emissions scandal
"Its sales in Western Europe, Volkswagen's home market, declined 1.3%. Sales in the U.S., where the scandal first broke, were up 0.2% in October, while Asia-Pacific saw a drop of 0.9%. Meanwhile, it sold 50% fewer cars in Brazil and saw its sales drop by 25% in Russia."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've seen quite a number of new gas VWs... I imagine they are offering some very aggressive incentives on the existing gas models.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VW Goodwill Package

On November 9, 2015, VW announced a "Goodwill Package" that it is making available to all registered owners of Affected Vehicles as of November 8, 2015. The Goodwill Package includes: (1) a $500 Visa gift card good anywhere Visa is accepted; (2) a $500 gift card good only at a VW dealership; and (3) a 3-year roadside assistance package.

VW's lawyers sent Hagens Berman a cover email attaching the letter it sent to owners on November 9, 2015, announcing the Goodwill Package. In that cover letter, VW counsel stated plainly that the Goodwill Package is provided "without any agreement for release of any claims." Since no release of claims is associated with the Goodwill Package, there is no reason why owners should not register for and take advantage of the Goodwill Package.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKBN0UL00320160107

German automaker Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) assumes it will have to buy back about 115,000 cars in the United States as a result of the emissions scandal, a newspaper reported on Thursday.

Without citing its sources, Germany's daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung said the company expected it would have to either refund the purchase price of a fifth of the diesel vehicles affected or offer a new car at a significant discount.

Volkswagen expects that the rest of the vehicles will need major refits, incurring significant costs for parts and a long stay at the garage as parts of the exhaust must be reconstructed and approved, the newspaper reported.

Volkswagen could not be immediately reached for comment.

On Tuesday, VW brand chief Herbert Diess said he was confident the German automaker would reach agreement with U.S regulators to bring nearly 500,000 diesel vehicles into compliance with U.S. emissions laws.

In an interview with Reuters, Diess said fixing older VW cars equipped with 2.0-litre diesel engines would be more difficult than bringing more recent models into compliance.

Some U.S. regulators and lawmakers have said VW may have to buy back older models. Diess did not say whether VW was discussing that, but said he was optimistic an agreement with U.S. regulators would be reached soon.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said on Wednesday that "recall discussions with the company have not produced an acceptable way forward. EPA continues to insist that VW develops effective, appropriate remedies as expeditiously as possible."

The U.S. Justice Department on Monday sued Volkswagen for up to $48 billion for allegedly violating U.S. environmental laws.

The Sueddeutsche Zeitung also reported that about 50 employees - including several division heads - had come forward as part of an internal amnesty program to help the company clear up the scandal.

Volkswagen has admitted it installed software in certain diesel models sold in the United States, that allowed the cars to pass government emissions tests, but then emit nearly 40 times the allowed levels of pollutants on the road.

Diess said Volkswagen expected the company would be able to repair by the end of 2016 about 8.5 million diesel cars sold in Europe that did not comply with emissions standards.

Back