Volkswagen Ordered To Recall 500K Vehicles Over Its Own Malicious Programming

Remember these suits take a LOOONG time...

difficult to substantiate that at this point isn't it ?

there is no resell value unless you actually re-sell it :)

it's all really a guessing game at this point -there's enough options and opinions out there for everyone to find one they like

By the time these suits even get to court, I believe the resale value of TDI autos will be well established, giving courts a good reference point!

yes, but the class action suits have just been filed or are being prepared - so how are the participants able to specify the so called value lost ??

horse before the cart, or lawyer in front of the ambulance as the case may be . . ., along with a lot of the sensationalized reporting about the whole mess IMO

VW staff, supplier warned of emissions test cheating years ago: reports

"Volkswagen's own staff and one of its suppliers warned years ago about software designed to thwart emissions tests, two German newspapers reported on Sunday, as the automaker tries to uncover how long its executives knew about the cheating."

"The company's internal investigation is likely to focus on how far up the chain of command were executives who were responsible for the cheating, and how long were they aware of it.

The Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung, citing a source on VW's supervisory board, said the board had received an internal report at its meeting on Friday showing VW technicians had warned about illegal emissions practices in 2011. No explanation was given as to why the matter was not addressed then."

"Separately, Bild am Sonntag newspaper said VW's internal probe had turned up a letter from parts supplier Bosch written in 2007 that also warned against the possible illegal use of Bosch-supplied software technology. "

"its Italian unit has told its dealers to stop selling them, Italy's Corriera della Sera newspaper reported on Sunday. It said that would leave 40,000 cars stuck on Italian lots."

Yep, DOJ's working closely with EPA on this fraud case.

It would be interesting to go to a VW dealership and see how "low can you go" on pricing.
You know they have got to be panicking over the inventory they are holding.

It would be interesting to go to a VW dealership and see how "low can you go" on pricing.
You know they have got to be panicking over the inventory they are holding.

"Stop sale" currently in place for used/new TDI's at VW US dealers, so they can't even play pricing game on something they can't sell. And the 2016 TDI's (not approved for sale in US) are also gathering dust at the ports.

(Not that I even want such a undesirable car.)

Last edited:
I've read from different sources online that even urea-equipped VW diesel cars failed emissions testing. Here's one:

"On the open road, a Volkswagen Jetta TDI blew through the U.S. nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions limit by 15 to 35 times. A VW Passat TDI (with urea aftertreatment) was 5 to 20 times the maximum.

A BMW X5 xDrive 35d diesel crossover equipped with urea aftertreatment and tested at the same time, however, met the emission limits under all circumstances."

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/I...ions-recall-widens-10-things-you-need-to-know

If true then the affected TDI equipped cars already on the road may need both the software and urea hardware in order to meet emissions testing. I wonder how this will play out in terms of the power/fuel economy/emissions equilibrium for TDI equipped cars. As a previous owner of a 97 Jetta, 2009 Jetta, 2012 Jetta, and 2013 CC I came to appreciate VW's gas turbo 4 engines as having excellent torque at 1500 rpm. If the TDI engines affected end up having as much torque as the turbo-4 engines with minimized mpgs gains then I can see sales effected. Especially with the TDI price markup. Total cost of ownership could spell decreased sales for TDI's in the U.S. depending on their post calibrated results. I can see other VW models, cars from Subaru, Mazda, ect take in some of those TDI customers if that were the case.

Last edited:
What pisses me off is all this talk of litigation and government intervention that could possibly kill the world's largest auto manufacturer thus making it impossible for me to maintain my vehicle in the long run. "I don't care who I screw over as long as I get my $5 and you admit you're wrong..."

What pisses me off is all this talk of litigation and government intervention that could possibly kill the world's largest auto manufacturer thus making it impossible for me to maintain my vehicle in the long run. "I don't care who I screw over as long as I get my $5 and you admit you're wrong..."

VW is too big to fail whether we want it to or not. Its a very important company for the global economy and very important to Germany. As a matter of fact I would purchase its cheap stock right now. I feel that this debacle was due to a few middle management personnel. They'll hopefully get caught and VW moves on. There are opportunities for VW to resolve these incidents though such as an open 3rd party source to for whistle blowers to report ethical incidents. This is intended for large corporations to protect their interests. The thing however is that VW's headquarters is run a very peculiar way. VW is a really interesting company involving a family ownership, government ownership, stake holders, and empowered workers all rolled up into one. VW was geared towards becoming the the #1 automaker in the world. It operates in a very different way with how we do business here in the U.S. I think VW will be okay but they should really make it right for its consumers.

VW is too big to fail whether we want it to or not. Its a very important company for the global economy and very important to Germany. As a matter of fact I would purchase its cheap stock right now.

What's the trick to buying VW stock "cheap right now"?

Because I've been investing/trading for 30 years and I don't see any way to buy it for less than $115/share. And I would consider that far from "cheap".

What's the trick to buying VW stock "cheap right now"?

Because I've been investing/trading for 30 years and I don't see any way to buy it for less than $115/share. And I would consider that far from "cheap".

Its about $99 as of this writing. If it goes down down further I think there's some profit to be made. Current VW employees could probably get even cheaper if they have some type of employee discount. It was $162 on 09/17/2015. Peaked at $250's back in March.

"Cheap" is not what makes a stock a good investment. VW already carries more debt than most automakers and settling this huge fraud case across many nations only adds (severely) to financial weakness.

It pisses me off the innocent workers may lose their job. VW wrote its own death wish. Nothing to be upset about a company self damaging themselves and going the way of the dodo. After all, isn't litigation part of the free market economy?

Dutch Volkswagen dealers halting sale of diesel cars over emissions scandal

Dutch Volkswagen dealers are halting the sale of diesel cars that may be affected by the German automaker's emissions-rigging scandal.

Pon, the Dutch importer of Volkswagens, Audis, SEATs and Skodas, says in a statement that the temporary sales halt applies to 4,100 cars that its dealers still have in stock.

Czech carmaker Skoda Auto, which belongs to Volkswagen AG, says 1.2 million of its vehicles had the engine that manipulated emissions data.

Skoda Auto spokesman Jozef Balaz told Czech public television on Monday that Volkswagen plans to recall all those cars and will cover the cost.

A European environmental organization says it has found some new models of Mercedes, Volkswagens, BMWs and other new cars consume much more gasoline than lab tests claim.

Gov. Haslam: VW Chattanooga could face job problems if cars don't sell

Tennessee government provided an estimated $358.2 million of the original $577.4 million in incentives that drew Volkswagen to located its Passat in Chattanooga with local governments providing the remaining $219.2 million.

And this year, Tennessee, Chattanooga and Hamilton County governments committed to more than $260 million in incentives for a new line of SUV production.

Emissions Scandal Puts Volkswagen CFO in the Hot Seat

The scandal has put Chief Financial Officer Hans Dieter Ptsch in the hot seat, as he confronts the daunting task of determining how much money VW will need to fix the millions of cars involved and to finance fines and settle legal claims against the company.

In the process, he will need to establish how much of the German auto maker’s billions of dollars of potential liabilities might be covered by insurance, move to plug any gaps in its auditing process and reassure vendors, bankers and investors of its health.

And, because the CFO is typically a company’s chief risk officer, Mr. Ptsch must quickly figure out how “deep the corporate rot is,” and begin mending the company’s reputation, said Christopher Bogart, chief executive of Burford Capital, a litigation-finance firm.

Since it isn’t clear how far the emissions problems extend, the CFO and his team must be prepared for a long-running, complex and expensive process.

VW’s insurance may cover some of the liabilities, but not everything, particularly follow-on litigation, Mr. Bogart said.

Volkswagen Ordered to Sell Its Stake in Suzuki

Last edited:
1.8M commercial vehicles affected

Guenther Scherelis, a spokesman for the commercial vehicles unit — which makes vans and pickups — confirmed a report in the daily Hannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung that 1.8 million of its vehicles were affected. He didn't give further details.

"Cheap" is not what makes a stock a good investment. VW already carries more debt than most automakers and settling this huge fraud case across many nations only adds (severely) to financial weakness.

Yeah I hear ya. If there's one type of industry where large corporations somehow survive despite problems (that would've collapsed other types) are car manufacturers. GM for example.

If there's one type of industry where large corporations somehow survive despite problems (that would've collapsed other types) are car manufacturers. GM for example.

If I were bullish on VW stock (and I'm not), the last thing I would do is use GM as an example. GM may have "survived" but shareholders lost everything.

Latest posts

Back