Volkswagen Ordered To Recall 500K Vehicles Over Its Own Malicious Programming

From another forum

I worked in the auto emissions test field for 10 years. This has gone on since the 1990's.This has been going on since CARB killed open loop operation for the California Clean Air Act in 1993. Every manufacturer is guilty of tuning to the test. However, there is no other test. If you drive the pattern of the test, your car will suddenly not perform its usual way. The car's on board computer is very capable of recognizing driving patterns. Today's new cars tune themselves to the driver. If EPA wanted to have lower emission at full throttle accelerations at 75 MPH, they should make that be part of the test. Coming back years later and saying that the cars perform differently outside the test is only something this administration could come up with. Right out of Orwell. This is politically motivated because all the manufacturers tune to the test.

And from the news
In a stinging defeat that could accelerate the decades-long decline of the United Auto Workers, Volkswagen AG workers voted against union representation at a Chattanooga, Tennessee plant, which had been seen as organized labor's best chance to expand in the U.S. South.

From another forum

I worked in the auto emissions test field for 10 years. This has gone on since the 1990's.This has been going on since CARB killed open loop operation for the California Clean Air Act in 1993. Every manufacturer is guilty of tuning to the test. However, there is no other test. If you drive the pattern of the test, your car will suddenly not perform its usual way. The car's on board computer is very capable of recognizing driving patterns. Today's new cars tune themselves to the driver. If EPA wanted to have lower emission at full throttle accelerations at 75 MPH, they should make that be part of the test. Coming back years later and saying that the cars perform differently outside the test is only something this administration could come up with. Right out of Orwell. This is politically motivated because all the manufacturers tune to the test.

And from the news
In a stinging defeat that could accelerate the decades-long decline of the United Auto Workers, Volkswagen AG workers voted against union representation at a Chattanooga, Tennessee plant, which had been seen as organized labor's best chance to expand in the U.S. South.

I don't understand the logic. Because (unverified number of manufacturers) have been (doing bad thing) for (unverified amount of time), and not been caught and/or punished (not true, actually) it is therefore Orwellian when one day they are actually held to the spirit of the standard? That's some mental gymnastics right there. Or maybe a stage of grief between denial and anger...

According to EPA's documents VW fessed up to the deception. The law is pretty clear - you can't implement a method to pass the test that doesn't work on the road.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends VW's sale of diesels in the US though, at least for awhile. With electrics around the corner, maybe ends it for good.

They certainly deserve a severe penalty considering all the people that were killed by this defect.
GM agrees to $900M criminal settlement over ignition-switch defect.
VW faces $18 billion in fines for cheating on emissions tests
Seems fair

They certainly deserve a severe penalty considering all the people that were killed by this defect.

No doubt outdoor air pollution kills a lot of people (3.7 million people just in 2012 according to the World Health Organization). Sixty percent of those deaths were due to cardiovascular diseases like stroke and heart disease which are exacerbated by nitrogen oxides. According to the EPA, diesel engines in the US alone emit pollutants that lead to 21,000 premature deaths each year and create a cancer risk that is seven times greater than the combined risk of all 181 other air toxics tracked by the EPA. It would be difficult to come up with a concrete number to pin on VW because obviously they are not the sole source of diesel emissions. But it could be roughly estimated using statistics. But premature deaths are not all of the impacts. According to the CATF, diesel pollution also affects our nations productivity, with more than two million work days a year estimated lost due to diesel pollution health effects. CATF project estimates that diesel fine particle pollution will account for approximately $139 billion in monetized damages or losses in 2010.

They will never be levied the full $18 Billion they could be fined for cheating but it's likely VW caused more deaths than the GM ignition recall. The deaths are just harder to pin down because they are the result of emissions from many different sources, not just VW tailpipes.

"exacerbated by" "lead to "difficult to come up with a concrete number" "roughly estimated" "using statistics" " estimated lost due" it's likely"

No doubt outdoor air pollution kills a lot of people (3.7 million people just in 2012 according to the World Health Organization). Sixty percent of those deaths were due to cardiovascular diseases like stroke and heart disease which are exacerbated by nitrogen oxides. According to the EPA, diesel engines in the US alone emit pollutants that lead to 21,000 premature deaths each year and create a cancer risk that is seven times greater than the combined risk of all 181 other air toxics tracked by the EPA. It would be difficult to come up with a concrete number to pin on VW because obviously they are not the sole source of diesel emissions. But it could be roughly estimated using statistics. But premature deaths are not all of the impacts. According to the CATF, diesel pollution also affects our nations productivity, with more than two million work days a year estimated lost due to diesel pollution health effects. CATF project estimates that diesel fine particle pollution will account for approximately $139 billion in monetized damages or losses in 2010.

They will never be levied the full $18 Billion they could be fined for cheating but it's likely VW caused more deaths than the GM ignition recall. The deaths are just harder to pin down because they are the result of emissions from many different sources, not just VW tailpipes.

21,000? That's child's play. Ask Ronald McDonald about some real body counts.

21,000? That's child's play. Ask Ronald McDonald about some real body counts.

True, but we choose what we eat, what we breathe, not so much.

And keep in mind, the 21,000 figure is deaths in just one year attributable solely to pollution from diesel engine emissions. This is why the EPA requires they get cleaned up by a factor of 40 vs. emissions from engines where VW cheated.

Last edited:
Saw a posting on the TDIForums reportedly from a plant work that production on diesel vehicles stopped last week.

I see a lot of people saying "I won't get fix applied to my car" but couldn't the feds in cooperation with the states force the issue by not allowing vehicle tags to be renewed without proof of recall work?

Last edited:
I see a lot of people saying "I won't get fix applied to my car" but couldn't the feds in cooperation with the states force the issue by not allowing vehicle tags to be renewed without proof of recall work?

Yes, if they are doing their jobs, that's exactly what they would do. It's a fairly straight-forward legal case.

This also leaves a whole bunch of VW purchasers with very valid monetary claims against VW.

My best guess is that torque will be reduced considerably and efficiency will take a small hit.

VW sales in US were already slipping prior to this news.

Now is the time for Mazda to pop in and take over the diesel market.

The fiasco at VW will only lower demand for passenger vehicle diesels in US.

Back