Request: How to activate turn signals without using the turn stick?

Medic5

:
2013 Mazda2
I'm sure some of you will think this is a stupid idea; however, I want to use the How-a To on here to remove my steering wheel, and install (2) Momentary Buttons on either rear side of the steering wheel so that I may simply press the button to do lane changes more efficiently and without moving my steering hands.

I have pretty decent electrical experience, I'm just not sure if there's a way to do this by simply adding a button with wires running to the turn stick? Otherwise I'm stuck making a whole new 12v circuit with flasher units which is going to be costly.

I plan on modding my steering wheel here soon with several buttons to make things easier for me (activating emergency lighting, etc...) I have the non-factory-button wheel currently.

Thank in advanced everyone!

Is it really that much extra effort for you to reach a couple of fingers over to the signal stalk, or reach over to touch a button? I understand wanting audio controls, or something, but what you're proposing seems a bit extreme. You don't even have to take your hands off of the wheel to activate the turn signals.

Is it really that much extra effort for you to reach a couple of fingers over to the signal stalk, or reach over to touch a button? I understand wanting audio controls, or something, but what you're proposing seems a bit extreme. You don't even have to take your hands off of the wheel to activate the turn signals.

Hey man... Lmao. I know, it's more of the hunt to keep modding! I just think it would be unique. Don't judge haha.

For starters anything on the wheel added needs to go through the clock spring. So you need at min the harness that is NORMALLY used for cruise/volume/etc for the wheel side, and then cut the wires on the column that go to the clock spring back to the ECM and audio unit normally to run into the turn signal switch.

This also means no volume buttons or cruise will ever be added through the wheel.

I wouldn't screw with it, it is indeed a stupid idea. Racecars don't use turn signals, and you shouldn't be driving at 10/10ths in any situation that calls for turn signal use.

I feel like holding down a momentary button would be more work than flicking the stalk anyways, if you use your turn signals properly.

I would utilize a 3-way toggle switch if you really had to have it.

Tony, some racecars do. In multi-class racing, slower cars will often use signal lights to indicate which side to pass on/etc.

Hey man... Lmao. I know, it's more of the hunt to keep modding! I just think it would be unique. Don't judge haha.

I'm not judging you. It's your car. I just don't understand why you'd do something so unnecessary just for the sake of doing it.

Back