Clunking sound from rear when driving off first thing

Strummer

:
Mazda CX5 Grand Touring
Hi there.
I'm a new member to the forum, hope someone can help with my issue.
There are posts on a clunking sound from the rear, however I don't think my problem is covered by these posts.

When I start to drive the car (hot or cold) using drive, then reverse or reverse then drive.. going into drive after say 10 ft there is a clunk from the rear.. transmission?
This has got progressively worse.
The dealer has told me that it's due to a gap between rear brake discs and pads, plus the pads are becoming worn - hence the reason for the sound becoming louder.
Has anyone come across this?

I have a CX5; 2012; 20,000 miles; no hitch; no moving bits in the trunk/hatch.
Thanks...

Welcome!

It could be the shaft, axle, bearings, brakes, and many other things. You need to investigate more and find out where is the sound originating from more precisely. Ask a friend to assist, this might be the only solution to continue.

Looks like, again, you'll get no help from the dealer.

When I start to drive the car (hot or cold) using drive, then reverse or reverse then drive.. going into drive after say 10 ft there is a clunk from the rear.. transmission?

Does it always happen at the same speed or is it more related to distance?

Try this: Next time drive off very slowly for 30 feet, keeping it at walking speed. Then slowly accelerate. If it clunks only when you reach about 10 mph, then it is simply the ABS test/diagnostic procedure that happens every time you start a new trip. And if it's getting abnormally loud it could be a sign that your brake pads have worn (perhaps unevenly) or one or more of your calipers or discs have an issue.

My 2000 Volvo did this from day one and it is just normal. My Mazda does it much less noticeably. Just different systems.

Thanks gova..
I'm really fed-up with the local Mazda dealer.
My wife has a Nissan Juke and the response/help from the dealer is superior and cheaper too!!!
Looks like I'll have to start investigating.
For a car that's 14 months old with 20k this is disgusting - last time I'm buying a Mazda!!

Thanks gova..
I'm really fed-up with the local Mazda dealer.
My wife has a Nissan Juke and the response/help from the dealer is superior and cheaper too!!!
Looks like I'll have to start investigating.
For a car that's 14 months old with 20k this is disgusting - last time I'm buying a Mazda!!

You might want to take it easy as you have to live with it for now...

I've done it myself - get a helper who'll drive or listen to clunks and locate the source. You should get this resolved pretty soon. At least you will know what the issue is, if any.

Does this problem happen when you apply the brakes for the first time after changing direction?

Sometimes if the lugnuts are not tight enough, it doesn't sandwich the brake rotor between the wheel and hub very tightly, which allows the rotor to move slightly. When you reverse out and use the brakes, it forces the rotor up against the wheel studs in one direction, then when you drive forward and use the brakes, it will force the rotor in the opposite direction, also against the wheel studs, which could be that clunk that you hear. To correct this, make sure your lugnuts are torqued to spec.

Or....if it's not the rotor, it could be the brake pads themselves, shifting in the caliper. Sometimes this happens from brakepads that don't fit perfectly snug within the caliper, which allows for some wiggle room. This will also only happen when applying the brakes for the first time after changing directions. Solution, get brake pads that fit correctly, or fill the gap with shims to keep the pads from shifting.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first issue I've had with this car, compounded by the lack of help from the dealer - whom I also bought the car from.
As seepfriedsushi suggested the issue seems to be with the rear calipers and pads.
I would like to get this fixed under warranty, but have strong doubts that the dealer will do this.
Consequently, I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth.
I'll keep you posted as to the dealer response.

I've experienced PAds shifing in the calipers on most of my vehicles. Once confirmed, I forget about it. ed

Also look under the car, and try to wiggle the sway bar link (one on each side). You should have no problem reaching it by hand. If the bolt is loose it will wiggle and that thing can make a lot of noise.
In my picture it's the red bar. On your car it will be a black bar in the same spot it should have NO play in it.
swxFHfd.jpg

I've experienced PAds shifing in the calipers on most of my vehicles. Once confirmed, I forget about it. ed

Hi Guys and Thanks very much for all your suggestions!!
Apparently it is the Brakes.. the pads are NOT sitting correctly within the calipers.

I am reluctant to return to the dealer and let them fit Mazda brake pads.. because the same problem may happen again.
Does anyone know of another manufacturer of pads that would fit snuggly in the calipers?

Thanks,
Mark

How often do you use the park brake?
If not often, while sitting in park, cycle the park brake full on/full off a few times, then drive down your street applying the brakes a few times.
Maybe repeat this whole process one more time, then see if things are better the first take off of the following day.

How often do you use the park brake?
If not often, while sitting in park, cycle the park brake full on/full off a few times, then drive down your street applying the brakes a few times.
Maybe repeat this whole process one more time, then see if things are better the first take off of the following day.

Thanks CX5-SO,
Using the hand brake has cured the clunking sound.
Strangely enough I grew up using a manual in the UK, where using a hand brake is normal and ingrained.
A habit I need to re-acquire.
Thanks again....!!!

Back