OEM Radio & Speakers - Sound Quality

tchiarella

:
2009 MZ3i, 2014 M5s
Hey all,

So I'm kinda baffled here. Is the audio on the stock '14 mz5s really that bad? I have very little bass (Bass +6), low volume (ACL +7), and everything sounds very "tinny". Like retro-radio sound quality. I'm by no means an audio snob, but comparing this to my '09 mz3i the sound quality is utterly poor.

Before I go ahead and pull the radio to start checking wiring and connectivity, I thought I'd ask for a general consensus on just how bad the stock system is.

note - my wife said it "doesn't bother her" but it's bad enough for me to do something about even though I only drive the car maybe 30 minutes a week.

Yes it is that bad. I have a '13 Mazda 5 and an '10 Jetta. Audio is night a day.
Though a big part of the "bad audio" is the lack of noise isolation, one of the few weak points of Mazda. There is such a lack of insulation and the glass is so thin road noise comes roaring thu muffling the audio.

The stock radio has terrible amplification. Replacing the head unit delivers a major difference in sound quality. It'll be better but the stock speakers still suck, just not as bad as with the stock head unit.

Thanks, good to know I'm not crazy. What amazes me the most is that the FM radio sounds better than playing music through the Aux/iPod USB port ...

I had the driver's door panel off over the weekend. The stock speakers have paper thin cones. Anything would be an improvement.

The stock radio has terrible amplification. Replacing the head unit delivers a major difference in sound quality. It'll be better but the stock speakers still suck, just not as bad as with the stock head unit.
+1
#1 need is amplification. Even a tiny 4 channel amp will help greatly. Keep in mind replacing the stock HU means blank screen on the display console where the radio text would otherwise display.

Thanks, good to know I'm not crazy. What amazes me the most is that the FM radio sounds better than playing music through the Aux/iPod USB port ...
that is very hard to believe though I have read that some advanced radio stations broad cast FM in very clear frequencies but it can't be better than a physical connection. You may have a problem with the audio plug or cable. More likely, the audio source (the music file on the iPod, not iPod itself) is poorly encrypted. Try using a streaming music service like Pandora via aux in. It will sound 10x better than FM station bc of better audio encryption. Ultimately, both HU and speakers do suck.

+1
#1 need is amplification. Even a tiny 4 channel amp will help greatly. Keep in mind replacing the stock HU means blank screen on the display console where the radio text would otherwise display.

I've considered changing out the stock radio to our '10 MZ5 many times (and still considering it), but the only thing keeping me from doing it is retaining the stock function and look (i.e. display console showing blank, steering wheel controls, and piano black trim). How good is the fitment of the aftermarket trim piece that houses the aftermarket radio? And are there any workarounds to retaining the steering wheel controls?

How complicated is it to add a small amp to work with the stock HU? Or is it too much work and not worth it? All of our speakers have been upgraded, but unfortunately have not reaped any rewards due to the stock HU.

Most quality aftermarket HU should have the option of retaining the steering wheel controls as an option via learning function. The steering wheel buttons operate on resistance. Meaning multiple buttons use the same wire to communicate with the HU but each button has a different resistance. There’s a schematic floating around somewhere.

I have no experience with aftermarket bezels for Mz5 as I have no intentions of replacing it. I do have a mini amp that I’ve been meaning to install but just don’t have time or urge to. Do you have audio install experience? It is not difficult. You do have to splice and, ideally, solder some wires. Crimps work too.

The blank display is the biggest bummer IMO. However, you can fill the blank screen with item below if you are willing to fork out some money ;). Think of it as an integrated/custom Scangauge. There’s no confirmation that the RX8 CANBus is the same as the Mz5 but it works on earlier Mz3/MS3 so it is a good bet for us. Seems newer cars communicate differently so not a good bet for +12. Its been a long time since I last checked so there’s no guarantee the guy still supports it.
http://www.rx8club.com/series-ii-interior-audio-electronics-167/rxduino-development-chat-218257/

I agree with Silentnoise on this one. There's got to be something wrong with your audio unit (besides being pathetically cheap and crappy) because for me it goes like this as far as sound quality: (1 - being best and 4 - being worse)(I use an iPhone just for comparison purposes)

1. AUX Input (acceptable)
2. Bluetooth Streaming (ok)
3. CD Player (pathetic)
4. AM/FM Radio (super pathetic, my dad's 8-track sounded better)

I'm not interested in replacing a head unit but could anyone recommend some direct fit replacement speakers that won't break the bank? Product numbers or links most appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not interested in replacing a head unit but could anyone recommend some direct fit replacement speakers that won't break the bank? Product numbers or links most appreciated. Thanks.

Personally, I went with Pyle speakers (purchased from Amazon) in our Mazda5 and my Protege5. I think for the price you spend, they're a great value. However, I will say this: they barely made a difference in quality of sound in the Mazda5... if any at all to my ears (as noted already in this thread due to the crippling stock HU). In my Protege5, the same Pyle speakers sounded fantastic after I upgraded the stock HU to a budget JVC unit. Just my $.02.

The HU is indeed the weak link in the 5. I replaced mine with a Pioneer DVD unit and the difference was immense. I still haven't replaced the crummy stock speakers because they frankly sound OK with the better HU. Hank3, if you go with Crutchfield for your trim piece you end up with something that looks exactly like stock, as in completely impossible to tell it ISN"T stock, don't let that deter you. As for the display being blank, you will find that the improvement in display quality with almost any aftermarket radio will eclipse anything the stock crap had to offer. Now the steering wheel controls have confounded me thus far because my Pioneer was a few years old when it was installed in this 5, and finding the right adaptor has eluded me, not the fault of the car, rather the loose nut behind the steering wheel...

The HU is indeed the weak link in the 5. I replaced mine with a Pioneer DVD unit and the difference was immense. I still haven't replaced the crummy stock speakers because they frankly sound OK with the better HU. Hank3, if you go with Crutchfield for your trim piece you end up with something that looks exactly like stock, as in completely impossible to tell it ISN"T stock, don't let that deter you. As for the display being blank, you will find that the improvement in display quality with almost any aftermarket radio will eclipse anything the stock crap had to offer. Now the steering wheel controls have confounded me thus far because my Pioneer was a few years old when it was installed in this 5, and finding the right adaptor has eluded me, not the fault of the car, rather the loose nut behind the steering wheel...

That's good to know about the aftermarket trim piece. It's good to have options for if/when we decide to upgrade the sound. Can either upgrade the stock HU or go the amp route. Will have to weigh which one is more budget friendly and less labor intensive.

While the amp will be better for savings, the HU is worth the extra scratch. The trouble with adding an amp to the stock HU is that you are still limited by the HU lack of refinement. Basically, you can only adjust things so much with the stock HU, (Bass, Treble, Mid, Left, Right, Front, Rear) and thats IT. Any aftermarket HU will put that behind you and the better units available (some for pretty reasonable prices) will blow you away with their adjustability. Pioneer, Alpine, and Kenwood offer the sort of custom sound field tuning that used to be available only through a digital sound field controller, right on the HU. Just food for thought.

Awesome, ton of good info here.

Yea I'm debating taking the 5 into the dealer to get the audio unit checked out. None of the audio is acceptable to me and I have some hq music on my iPhone so I don't get it.

I'll probably try the aux in to see if there is a difference. I don't understand how there could be something wrong with the usb connection as its digital and should either be working or not working.

Sounds like it's time for some appradio [emoji4]

Personally, I went with Pyle speakers (purchased from Amazon) in our Mazda5 and my Protege5. I think for the price you spend, they're a great value. However, I will say this: they barely made a difference in quality of sound in the Mazda5... if any at all to my ears (as noted already in this thread due to the crippling stock HU). In my Protege5, the same Pyle speakers sounded fantastic after I upgraded the stock HU to a budget JVC unit. Just my $.02.

What size speakers did you buy. Different for the front/back? Thanks.

Personally I'd only buy JBL or Polk speakers if I could fit them in the budget or just wait until I could afford them.
No sense in spending money on new speakers that don't sound any better than the old ones.

Here's where I'd put my money.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

But tucking a small 4 channel amp back behind the radio would probably be a great option too.
I think I remember Vasy's video commenting on there being a good deal of space back there.
Maybe there's room for something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Back