Sylvie & Gold: The Completion

:
02 R53
Remember Christian Grey's Sylvia?

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...9218-my-buddy-christian-grey-s-new-fling.html

MEET THE EQUALLY SEXY TWIN....The GeoManc3r's Sylvie

And.....& the 1st Ever Documented M3 Encounter w/ GOLD....

The closest to stock spring rates there are!
Stock:F2.5/R3.0kg/mm
Tein Htech: F2.7/R3.2kg/mm
Drop: Sits right between Eibach & H&R:)
Front Drop:-30mm

Rear Drop:-35mm

Before:

Ahhhhhhhhftah: PERFECTION!!!!

Sylvie & Gold......
Looks Perfect, Rides Perfect.....
Complete!!!!!

Perfection? Nice, maybe, but perfection involves replacing those anchors of wheels with those that weigh less than 20 lbs each. Your suspension, ride, braking, and acceleration performance will thank you every time you drive the car.

There's no argument about the benefits of lower unsprung rotational weight, concept sir. Just marveling at what the guy did!:)
The theme embraced is OEM+......done to perfection. Rims will eventually be purposeful boredom therapy later, I'm sure.:)
The HTechs are probably the closest to stock springrates 1 can find....& they're linear.:)
Can't believe this to probably be just the 1st documented case of TEINitis on gen3s. If I were in the hunt for mid drop springs w/ stock-like comfort, these are it.:)

Last edited:
That's probably true, Minsanity, but you have to be careful about the bumpstop height if you don't stiffen some part of the suspension when lowering the car. Eibach provides shorter rear bumpstops for good reason. My plan is to compensate for a "sportier" ride by lightening up that unsprung weight. You'll notice that most high-end cars come equipped from the factory with light weight (sometimes forged) wheels to pair up with very low profile tires, which offer very little cushioning.

My Eibach Prokit came w/ shorter front bumpstops, rears were left at stock height as specified.
Sylvie's bumpstops were shortened, of course.
We're on the same page re ideal suspension/wheel/tire set ups, concept sir..... but Sylvie is a daily hauler in a region where RPF1s won't stand a chance vs. its road conditions. One of our buddies bent 2 w/o hitting any potholes.:(
It would definitely be nice to go coilies, RSB, forged rims, great tires whenever budget permits; & it would be very enjoyable if the daily commute is of wide open straights, hairpins & twisties.....but sadly, no. Daily is all about hours of static traffic & short city drives to school, work & home.
Comfort, beef, looks & hobo are the intentions here. Performance & the cost it comes w/ just couldn't be justified for this one.

Last edited:
Are you sure the fronts were shorter? The rear springs are 30% lower than the fronts (Eibachs).
I guess your road surfaces are far worse than the ones on which I commute, here in San Diego. My choice of wheels will be Enkei RSM9s at 17.1 lbs each.

I'm very positive. The fronts w/ the engine weight have greater risk of bottoming out on dips. Eibach listed it here.

Oh, Sylvie's natural habitat are the roads of Manila....worse than any I've seen, sadly...San Diego can relatively be heaven, concept sir.:)

You're correct about the bumpstop.
Ironically, I just got back from staying in Alabang/working in Calambas for 1 month, so I can attest to the less than perfect roads over there. I did stop by Alabang Mazda, last Saturday to chat with one of their sales people and to check out the vehicles that we don't have here in the US. I took photos of:
A large Mazda truck
Mazda 6 wagon
Mazda 2 sedan (which is being sold as a Scion iA, here)
I was planning to post the photos, soon but obviously, you've seen them all.
I'll have to add that the hospitality of the folks in PI is excellent and I really enjoyed my stay there.

The world is getting smaller by the day.:) Thanks, concept sir.
The kodo M2 looks so much better than the iA & the NA market Yaris, IMO.
True about the warmth of the weather & people.:)...& the sad state of the roads.:(

Last edited:
Back