Swapping out OEM radios

pnambic

:
2012 Mazda5
Hey folks, we took a look at a 2015 Mazda5 Sport and really liked it. One of the many things my wife really liked was the USB iPhone control the radio had. But me being a cheap sob, I just have a hard time buying new. We ended up buying a 2012 with 38k miles instead for a few thousand dollars less. Trouble is, we didn't notice the lack of the USB interface in the 2012 until after buying it. Apparently, the USB isn't there until 2013 and later. Wifey is bummed.

Anyone here replace the 2012 head unit with a newer one? It looks like Ebay has them relatively cheap.
I'd need to swap out the aux plug on the console too. Can't seem to find a part number for that though.

Thanks

Looks like I wasn't as clear as I could have been.
I was looking to replace an OEM 2012 radio with an OEM 2013 radio and was wondering what the caveats were, if any.
After talking with the parts manager at a local Mazda dealership, it looks like its just not going to be cost effective to go that route - $40 for the usb/aux plug and the wiring harness would apparently need a lot of attention too as they're different between the two years. Aftermarket will have to be the way to go I suppose.

Vasy, thanks for all the effort you've put into your videos. I have enjoyed them quite a lot. I too enjoy modding. :)

Tchiarella, the GROM option looks interesting. Looking into it.

Back