Engine Oil Capacity after Draining

FusionGuy

:
2015 Mazda6 GT
Hey there peeps. Question for those who have done any oil/filter service on their 3rd-gen 6. Put the 6 on a set of Rhino ramps in my garage and let it drain overnight. Next day filled it with the specified 4.8 quarts, but nothing registered on the dipstick after starting the car and pulling it down off the ramps. Car took the entire 5 quarts and oil level was only 1/2 way up the stick. To get it to the top, I had to put near 5.5 quarts in. Anyone else experience this? Maybe because I had it "tilted" back on the ramps, there was more oil that drained out of the sump? I've seen some other posts about this on other forums, too.

First, I'd guess that it might have something to do with the guy who wrote the manual not anticipating an overnight drain.

Second, a dipstick is hardly a precision instrument.

Third, the imprecision of the dipstick is a big reason why you have 20-30 mm of range on the 'full' region.

If you're shooting for the top mark of the dipstick, and the stick is on the low end of its length tolerance range, I'd be concerned about the potential for oil frothing.

2.5L on CX-5 is the same way.... I never did overnight but 3-4 hours and that takes 5.25 quarts to get to full line on dipstick even though manual states 4.8 quarts with oil filter change.

Again, you're not talking about the level in a sight glass on the side of the oil pan - you're talking about the level on a dipstick that has to go inside a tube. That dipstick has a length tolerance range, as does the tube. Ideally, the designers have done their job right, and the full range on the dipstick will give you a buffer against either oil pickup starvation or oil frothing. Regardless, I'd always recommend shooting for the center of the full range, not the top mark.

5 quarts after a 1 hour drain and engine oil filter change puts mine right on the top mark. No issues - I would just use 5 quarts and add 1/2 qt at a time as needed if you do consume oil (mine doesn't on Mobil 1 but did on Mazda Moly). No sense sweating 0.25qts

I also find I need to add nearly 5.5 quarts to reach the full mark on the dipstick of my 2015 Mazda 6. I let it sit overnight before I check the stick to make sure I get a good reading. I use Mazda original replacement filter with Mobil 0-20. Seems to burn about half quart of oil over 5,000 miles also, and has done so since I bought it new.

I also find I need to add nearly 5.5 quarts to reach the full mark on the dipstick of my 2015 Mazda 6. I let it sit overnight before I check the stick to make sure I get a good reading. I use Mazda original replacement filter with Mobil 0-20. Seems to burn about half quart of oil over 5,000 miles also, and has done so since I bought it new.

That’s because of the Mobil 1 you’re using. Your car will stop burning it once you start to use a real oil.

I had the same oil loss issue using Castol oil for the fist year of service, and then switched to Mobile1. It just likes to burn oil......

Back