Recommendations for CX-5 skid plate and other off-road mods?

Sure wish they had these for '13-'16.5 (8.5") but understand since '17 (7.6"), '18+ (7.5) have lower ground clearance. I guess I will just order some from Europe. I did send CS an email to show support for older models.

If you are interested in CorkSport skid plate for 2013-2016.5 models send CS a free fax.

Phone number:
(360) 260-2676

taba2: Any pics of the skid plate? Still hoping they make one for '13-'16.5

Sorry, not yet, I've been traveling.

How different can the earlier fitment be? Maybe can just tweak the current skid plate to fit?

For offroading, something with a ladder-on-frame body and 4LOW are more important than a skid plate or a lift kit.

Be careful up there...Take that CX-5 offroad enough and you can total the car. It was built for light snow and maybe getting up driveways in the mud. Not really for 4x4ing.

Here we are in our 4runner up at Hollister Hills. No unibodies up there. The CX-5 is a million times more smooth and quiet on the road, but that's the trade off.

Attachments

• hollister13a.jpg
    hollister13a.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 178
Reactions: Jim
Totally agree.. but occasionally there are rocks on forest service roads. Just some extra protection.

I wouldn't take my CX-5 into some places I do with my GX 460 w/skids but nonetheless I have taken CX-5 into some dicey areas.

For offroading, something with a ladder-on-frame body and 4LOW are more important than a skid plate or a lift kit.

Be careful up there...Take that CX-5 offroad enough and you can total the car. It was built for light snow and maybe getting up driveways in the mud. Not really for 4x4ing.

Here we are in our 4runner up at Hollister Hills. No unibodies up there. The CX-5 is a million times more smooth and quiet on the road, but that's the trade off.

Sure, but I'm building an all-road car for overlanding, not an off-road truck.

And there are a lot of similar Subarus running around with skid plates and lift kits.

Installed the skid plate today at the dealership (there adding side window deflectors anyway). Mechanic said it was an easy install, fit perfectly.

Didn't take any pics, looks just like as in the video above.

I did ask if he believed it could be made to fit the previous generation, he said didn't know. Sorry.

Don't believe I ever mentioned, but I've ordered the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires (235/55-19, V, XL).

The WildPeak A/T Trail is Falken's On-/Off-Road All-Terrain tire developed for drivers of crossovers and SUVs who crave adventure and want a tire with the durability to explore off-road, yet matches the dynamic characteristics of modern crossover vehicles on the road.

Just waiting for my Gram Lights 57DRs to show before mounting.

You can totally fit those Falkens to your stock wheels and stop there. You’ll have achieved a noticeable improvement to your vehicle, with little to no downside.

I asked this question to CorkSport a few days ago:

"Can your skid plates for CX-5 2017+ be modified to fit 2015 CX-5?"

and just got a replay from Zach:

"We know the back half would work on it, we are looking into seeing what it would take to get the front half to fit the new facelift.

We are hoping for an answer around spring time if we can do that."

I ran across a steel skidplate that fits first gen cx-5’s...Here is the video on YouTube:

Looks interesting, but too heavy for my liking. I contacted the vendor for specs and they said 2mm steel at 12kg. Maybe interesting for the offroady cx-5 folks here.

Don't believe I ever mentioned, but I've ordered the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires (235/55-19, V, XL).

The WildPeak A/T Trail is Falken's On-/Off-Road All-Terrain tire developed for drivers of crossovers and SUVs who crave adventure and want a tire with the durability to explore off-road, yet matches the dynamic characteristics of modern crossover vehicles on the road.

Just waiting for my Gram Lights 57DRs to show before mounting.

You can totally fit those Falkens to your stock wheels and stop there. You’ll have achieved a noticeable improvement to your vehicle, with little to no downside.

Have any pics of the finished product? Also, any noticeable changes in fuel economy?

FYI, the Unibar cannot be securely attached to the CX-5 by the license plate screws alone.

I've had to have metal bars extended thru the bumper. Downside:

... this solution runs the risk of compromising the vehicle’s potential to shrug off parking-lot-speed impacts without damage. Bumpers add a cushion between those impacts and a vehicle’s frame, resisting damage outright and reducing the amount of energy that’s transmitted to the frame, but these metal hoops will transmit that energy straight to the frame, which could lead to damage, even in a very low-speed accident. By increasing the deceleration rate of the vehicle, it could also cause your airbags to fire in situations they shouldn’t.

Not sure if worth it.

I asked this question to CorkSport a few days ago:

"Can your skid plates for CX-5 2017+ be modified to fit 2015 CX-5?"

and just got a replay from Zach:

"We know the back half would work on it, we are looking into seeing what it would take to get the front half to fit the new facelift.

We are hoping for an answer around spring time if we can do that."

Ever hear any updates from CorkSport?

Thanks

Body Kit Kaddis for MAZDA CX-5 (Original Japan)

Manufacturer: KADDIS
Country of Origin: Japan
Suitable: on all modifications MAZDA CX-5 c 2012 to 2015
Complete installation kit!
It does not require fitting and thinking and conjecturing!
Japanese original quality!

The kit includes:
- The protection of the front bumper
- Protection of the rear bumper
- Thresholds
- Trunk
- Fender (fender flares)
- Lift Kit
- Suspension kit
- exhaust system
- Tuning hood
- Wheels

1432614406230_bulletin
What year is this beast? Can I get some details on the lift used?

Back