Rear Brake fluid leadage after pad/rotor replacement

rmccl54

:
Mazda 5 Protoge
After replacing my wife's pads and rotors, all 4, the brake light went on after the first day that she drove it. I suspected the worse but just after adding a bit of fluid the light went out. That seemed odd though, the fluid level was fine when I finished and one should not need to add fluid as I did not open any of the hydraulics. Just compressing the front piston and doing the Allen screw on the back to compress those.

Anyway, the light came back on after several days and I investigated and found that the drivers side rear was leaking. But only when in use, there was no spots under the car just in the inner wheel. Also there is no wetness noticeable from the outside.

http://imgur.com/a/3YtSq

Again, I did not open any hydraulics ...

So, has anyone have seen this. Seems the caliper is leaking and should be replaced? Am I missing something?

The hose is dry so it seems to be something else.

After watching while the brake was depressed and also setting and releasing the parking brake the fluid drips out near where the parking brake cable attaches. Seems like the bit that moves when the P brake is set and released. This pic shows it best.

http://imgur.com/dTPhhGy

So I guess that means the caliper will have to be replaced??

Yea... New caliper..

If you get one at a parts store bring a wrench and allen key with you to test the adjuster at the store.

They don't necessarily replace the gizmos inside our calipers.

I remember one guy had to get three brought to the counter before he found one that worked.

Last edited:
Yea... New caliper..

If you get one at a parts store bring a wrench and allen key with you to test the adjuster at the store.

They don't necessarily replace the gizmos inside our calipers.

I remember one guy had to get three brought to the counter before he found one that worked.

Thanks, great advice. .... I usually patronize rockauto.com for parts, perhaps I should go local* on this.

* "local" = national chain

I've had great luck with rockauto but haven't ordered rear calipers from them.

All the calipers are remanufactured (unless you buy OEM) and that usually just means piston and seals.

Those springs and clips may not be replaced or tested during the rebuild.

Back