The perfect license plate frame?

:
2016 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD
Just got home with the new 2016 and the first thing I did was take off the ugly dealer frames and the bright yellow "filler" plates as I wait for my real license plate. I hate driving around with that crap - looks so lame. I also had to get off the gross dealer decal they put on the tailgate but that's another story.

I don't want a "cute" or funny frame. I'm not even sure I want one at all. What do other people do? I know it doesn't seem like a big thing but the dealer frames/temporary promo plates were an eye sore.

I like it. I have that dark titanium flash color and I can't decide if i want it to blend in or stand out.

The best license plate frame is no frame at all. Those metal frame sometimes making noises and may scratch the paint. I actually don't install the front plate which looks a lot nicer!

BTW, I use dealer's "promo" plastic plates as a big gasket for rear license plate to prevent scratches and noises.

I like that chrome plate but I think I'm leaning towards no frame. I think in Oregon you have to have a front plate but I'm going to check into that because I'd rather not put one up there - I agree it looks way better. I threw out the dealer promo plates but I wish I would have kept them as a gasket now.

I threw out the dealer promo plates but I wish I would have kept them as a gasket now.
I'm sure your dealer will be glad to give you a couple of promo plates if you ask for it. Just don't tell the salesman what you intend to do to these. :)

I've been using this for 3 months. Love it.

I have already bought so many different things for this car that I think my wife might kill me if I spent 44 dollars on two of these. But its bothering me enough that I will need to do it at some point, maybe next month. :)

We got the thick Chrome plates. Matches well with the pearl white CX-5 and titanium flash mica Mazda6 because it blends with the existing oem chrome. Not too flashy but just right for my taste.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
71noejOV01L._SL1500_.jpg

Comes with great mounting hardware and bumpers so it hold the plate and frame away from the paint.
Yes! This is a right way to design a license plate frame. I hate metal-to-metal contact!

Something to be aware of: Depending on your state and therefore the design of the plate itself, you may or may not want a thick bottom bezel. Some are a lot wider and can impede on the words. e.g. the California one requires somewhat of a thinner frame style vs the wide type.

I went with a black plastic on the black with nothing on it. On the front went with a bumper kinda one its a soft rubber. Doesn't really help much the plate frame doesn't stick out much but I liked the cleaner look of all black on a meteor grey that I have.

I originally had a chrome (actually stainless steel) version of the zoom zoom, but after a collisionsthe front one got ruined (along with my custom plate which style had been slightly changed so I couldn't get the exact one again). When I went to replace it I found a black one that matched even better.
Just an example, not necessarily the best price. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Also when ordering online make sure the post is for TWO frames; sometimes it's actually only for one.
DzAP50i.jpg

I like the black on white look but I'm thinking chrome zoom zoom to contrast the titanium flash color on mine. I'll definitely make sure I get two! I wish Oregon didn't make you put one on the front. Looks SO much better without.

Back