Lease knowing I'm going to buy it..smart or dumb?

I see no problem leasing and purchasing at the end but you dont have to do 10K I would do closer to what you are going to drive and it will just add alittle to your monthly payment. if you are going to be closer to 12K or 15K be honest and include it in your monthly payment. I don't understand when people say I cant lease I drive 20K a year? just do a lease that $20K a year. The nice thing about the lease is it gives you options. Say if you lease and the car and gets hit after one year $15K worth of damage well you walk away after the lease and get a lease, if you owned that car well you have a car that had major damage and when you go to sell it you get killed via carfax or the dealer seeing paintwork. Plus you don't pay all the sales tax up front. Plus the money factor is really good on the CX5 lease. I would still shop it around to get the best deal.

+1, Lease what you can afford comfortably, but if that is what you are doing I see no issues with leasing first. Just do your research and make sure with the end of lease fee's you are not adding to your overall cost. Other than that it's a great option, especially when the future is uncertain because if things go pear shaped, you can simply turn in the car.

No one has discussed the factor of how long the OP plans to keep the car. That does make a difference. Strongly consider that.

If we're looking for sound financial advice, that's beyond the scope of this forum so I'll stick to the basics (some of which have already been covered):
1. Sounds like the OP (original poster) is finding a way to have lower monthly payments and has figured out a way for the mileage to not be a restriction. If the goal is for lower payments, it's not necessary a matter of lease vs finance. The bigger picture is car cost. The Mazda CX-5 ranges dramatically from $21k - $31k ish. If you can't afford the more expensive one, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Live below your means and you'll feel a lot more comfortable.

2. The car is only a portion of the overall cost of the car. Please don't forget insurance costs, gas and registration. When budgeting for a car, I knew I was expecting to drive over 80 miles per day. I typically had spent at least $250-300 in gas per month. That's pretty substantial and definitely limited what I could spend on the actual car. In fact, I was spending more in gas alone than the monthly finance payment for the vehicle. If you drive a ton, that might be the case. It might sounds stupid, but it is what it is. It doesn't matter how it's broken down. Think of the total cost per month with gas, payment, insurance included.

3. You may be in a different place financially at the end of the end of the lease. $3,000 may mean more to you now vs later -or- later vs now. Depends on what else is going on in your life, other obligations, etc. If you're getting married, having kids, then maybe $3,000 means a lot more to you now vs 3 years down the road. Just an example that came to mind, but I'm sure you can think of others that are applicable to you.

People thought it was silly that I took a loan out for a $1,700 scooter when I had money in the bank. Even my wife was like, "What? I'll just give that to you." Why did I do it? I had just lost my job and I was more in need of immediate savings (vs driving a car) that I wanted to realize ASAP. Most would buy a $1,700 scooter outright and enjoy the gas/insurance savings (vs a car) in a year or two). It takes awhile to start realizing savings after spending $1,700 at once. For me, by financing it, I was saving money the same month I bought the scooter. I had planned to sell it in a few years and would get most of my money back and by then I'd certainly have more income and the $1,700 wouldn't be that big of a deal. In my example, $1,700 meant more to me at the time of purchase than later. For that reason I made payments, meaning I consciously decided to pay little by little even though it would amount to a total higher cost when all was said and done vs buying it in cash all at once.

Many people in 2008 thought they were saving money buying a scooter when in fact, it took them years (longer than the time it took for the market to correct and probably longer than it took to find a replacement source of income) to realize any savings. Most weren't looking at $1,700 used scooters. They were buying $3,500 ones. You're not saving a single penny until you save enough to cover the $3,500 first.

Hey guys, still stuck in the same predicament. So what part of my plan makes it cost more than buying the vehicle? My understanding is just that say I lease for 4 years, and then buy for 4 years, is it just that I'll be paying interest for 8 years instead of a typical purchase loan of 4-6 years. Dealer keeps pushing it and I want to have a better understanding to let them know my hesitation. But I guess if I could get close to 0% interest on the lease that'd help alleviate that issue for part of the loan. Cause otherwise besides the interest, it seems I'm paying the exact amount of the car based on the expected residual value and monthly payment for the term.

At the end of the lease, can one re-negotiate the residual value of the car if he wants to purchase it?

L
If you are thinking of leasing just to afford it, its to much money for you. Leasing is for people who don't mind a car payment, drive low miles and always want the trouble free of driving a newer car.

Also remember if you lease with a buy out, your going to extend how long it takes to buy the car. So you take a 4 year lease then buy for another 4 years. No car is worth 8 years of payments and by then you'll be looking for another car.

Don't over extend yourself. Be smart and buy what you can afford. I just bought a 2016 GT loaded with options, but I saved over the last 4 years. No loan payments, cash deal. It's amazing how much they will come down when you say your paying cash. This was my first new car I saved up to buy and I'm so glad I did.

Save your money for more important stuff, like home and family. You'd be glad you did in the long run.

This ^

I think car dealers want to make as much money on a lease deal as on a sale. Otherwise, there's an advantage for the buyer. Are dealers willing to take less for the vehicle? If not, why wouldn't they refuse to lease? Does Mazda or a finance company give them a spiff for the lease? If so, that cost is built into the lease charges. Nobody gives anything away for free. Sharpen your pencil and make sure you take all the costs into account. Car dealers aren't in the habit of systematically losing money on every lease deal.

Back