2016 CX5 Armrest Latch Not Lining Up Right?

tinman831

I just recently bought a 2016 CX5. When I lower the armrest slowly, I notice that the hook on the lid touches the vinyl lip around the storage compartment below. If I press down firmly the hook will move out of the way and latch onto the plastic slot to lock it in place. It's annoying because I have to slam the lid down to let it close. If I shut the lid slowly I have to force the lid down so the hook moves over the lip of the bin. Is this normal for everyone else? See the picture below.

20150906_123337_zps7tmzczzh.jpg

I have a similar issue with my 2015 latch. Annoying at best.

I just recently bought a 2016 CX5. When I lower the armrest slowly, I notice that the hook on the lid touches the vinyl lip around the storage compartment below. If I press down firmly the hook will move out of the way and latch onto the plastic slot to lock it in place. It's annoying because I have to slam the lid down to let it close. If I shut the lid slowly I have to force the lid down so the hook moves over the lip of the bin. Is this normal for everyone else? See the picture below.

Good photo! I always appreciate someone who knows how to use a camera.

The male latch is designed to not contact the console until it hits the small molded female latch. This is the way my 2013 works and it still aligns and closes easily.

It looks like the problem described could happen if someone tried to man-handle the armrest further open than the 80 degrees or so it can go before it hits the hinge stops. I think if you disassemble it you will find out whether the hinge screws can be reset or whether you will need to bend the hinge arms back into their original shape. I've never disassembled mine so I can't offer instructions.

While I agree with Mike's comment about your picture (nice to see someone here supply a picture that is a clear representation of the problem!) I think it's chancy to try and diagnose a problem on a three year newer model with a very different armrest design than a 2013. If you can't get input here from someone who actually owns a 2016 and you're incapable of figuring this out yourself, run it by the dealer and have them correct it.

I think it's chancy to try and diagnose a problem on a three year newer model with a very different armrest design than a 2013. If you can't get input here from someone who actually owns a 2016 and you're incapable of figuring this out yourself, run it by the dealer and have them correct it.

It's generally a good idea to use the dealer to fix warranty issues if you have a Mazda dealer conveniently located. However, it's not clear this is a warranty issue (if it was found to be caused by excessive pressure against the hinge, the dealer could rightfully bill $$ for repair and/or diagnosis). Dealers are not obligated to repair damage but they can choose to as an offer of goodwill. But there is the risk they will bill for diagnosis if they determine it was broken by force. I also have no idea how convenient a dealer visit is for Tinman.

In any case, I did not use my 2013 to diagnose Tinman's issue (in fact, I didn't even offer a definitive diagnosis, I just offered a suggestion) and my comments were based upon the photo he provided (not another model year). Because the female part of the latch protrudes slightly, it's obvious the male portion should not contact the console before the latch makes contact with the protruding female latch. This is the obvious design intent. And the only plausible explanations for such a misalignment are if the hinges were not properly aligned when assembled, the hinge mount moved or the hinge was bent.

I'll leave it up to individual owners to determine if they have the necessary skills to remove the armrest but it's not rocket science.

Thanks for the input guys. I could easily take apart the center console and armrest and fiddle with it if need be, however, it's still under warranty and I'd rather the dealership fix it if there is indeed a problem. If this is how it's supposed to be, then I'd just figure something out myself. I've only had this car for less than a thousand miles, and used the storage bin once so it's never been "manhandled" in any way.

Here's how my 2016 looks.

tmp_22019-20150906_170438-1865744189.jpg

There is about 1/8 - 3/16" between the tab you have indicated in your photo and the inside upper lip on mine. Maybe it's the angle of your photo but you don't appear to have this much room.

My front latch seems to hit about the same place yours does. When I close mine, I just apply a bit of pressure with my finger to the latch and it closes much easier. My arm is in a similar position to close as it is to open.

I agree, let the dealer look at it.

So I went back to the dealership today to have them take a look at the issue. While I was there, I had a look at two other CX5's that were in the showroom and on the lot. Both of them have the same issue with the latches catching on the lip of the storage bin. At this point, I'm just assuming it is a design issue. I didn't get to take it to the service department to have them look at it since it was getting late, but at this point, I think I'm just going to MacGyver a solution. I'll post back if I figure something out.

Another bad thing is I left the dealership with my wallet 500 bucks lighter. I got tired of carrying an extra key fob for the remote start so I ended up buying the mobile start kit. Yes yes, first world problems. Loving my CX5 so far. :)

So unscrewing the rear hinge and trying to reposition the entire armrest assembly forward so the latch doesn't hit the lip of the storage bin proved unsuccessful. I could have filed the hook down a bit so that it doesn't hit the lip but I wanted to do something that was reversible if needed. I ended up cutting a small piece of cardboard down to size and inserted it underneath the hook. As shown in the pictures. It now shuts smooth as silk. If the solution lasts, I'll end up fabricating something a little more discrete and glue it to the lid.

20150908_223706_zpsykxscrpu.jpg

20150908_224300_zpsadoq3mhk.jpg

Another CX5 center console issue

20150906_123337_zps7tmzczzh.jpg

Yes we have standardised on these cars at work. A colleague of mine had the same issue about two months ago and now mine has gone. It has been two weeks and I am told another month and a half before Mazda will have the part. It is a tiny piece of plastic and very bad design.

Gordon

I have the opposite issue. It closes very easy and actually feels loose when closed. I suspect it is designed on purpose to hit that little piece of plastic for a tight fit. My wife is very hard on the center console, opening and closing probably more times than the average person. Great durability tester lol.

Just to note:

That part that latches, breaks off very easily, even without force. I'm not sure if the failures are occurring due to a tolerance issue or the design issue as shown and documented by the OP in this thread.

Back