Dreaded p2177 code (2007 mazda3 s)

Hello, Im here because I've had issues with the p2177 code for a while now. let me give you a timeline
June 2014 --car stalls at red lights, RPM's act funny at idle code p2177
august 2014 ---- Clean throttle body and the sensors, disconnect battery to reset computer
june 2015-- damn p2177 is back
july 2015 clean TB again, the code is back

what do I do? where do I start? I'm the only owner of the car (it's got 130k miles on it) and the only "mod" to say is a reusable air filter that is pretty clean

also, the way my RPS act funny is that when I start the car, they start at 2k then go down to 1.5 after 10-15 seconds and then up by a quarter for a brief 2 seconds, then back down to 1k.

TLDR. Code p2177 came on, what do I do?

I have the freeze frame data of the code but I have no idea how to read it or understand it :/ really need help with this..

I have the freeze frame data here if anyone can help me :(

294ht15.png

Possible causes:

Fuel Pump faulty
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor faulty
Intake System leaking
Exhaust System leaking
Wrong Fuel Pressure Sensor on Fuel Rail

If you've taken the intake or exhaust apart recently start there. Once it's solid it may be the MAF. Clean it ONLY with with MAF cleaner, if you got carb cleaner on it when you cleaned the throttle body that could made a bad situation worse.

The last is if the fuel pump is delivering enough fuel.

When I got it on my Maxima it was the MAF; only replacing it took care of the problem.

edit: I just noticed you have a 'reuseable' air filter: is it the kind that you have to oil? I've read a lot of people have had problems with the oil contaminating the MAF sensor. Just a thought.

Last edited:
well, I have cleaned the MAF, I disconnected the battery to restart the ECU, so the code went away for now but I'll update if the code comes back on.

its been 150 miles since and everything still good. however I feel as if my car start iddlin too high at 1,800 RPM, I will keep posting updates to those of you who have been reading.

Back