New to me 2012 Sport - audio options

Should be picking up my new-to-me 2012 Sport on Monday - whoop whoop!! Since I have the Sport, there is no Aux (at least, I don't think so) and no Sirius/XM, so I'm looking to upgrade the head unit. I have zero need for navigation (that is what smartphones are for) and video playback - I just want satellite and aux connectivity. Any suggestions for a good head unit? How about speakers?

Looking forward to a new (relatively) ride! :)

Wow, pricey - I think I could get a new head unit at Crutchfield for less than that. Any suggestions on speakers? I'm assuming the fronts and rears are both 5x7s?

Yeah, you can find it cheaper if you shop around. I found it at $197 a couple places, but yes, it's not inexpensive. No, the front and rear speakers aren't the same size. The fronts are 5x7s Z(you can fit 6x8s there, too) but the rear you'll need to get 5 1/4s, due to shallow clearance mainly. There is a set of 5x7s that fit the rear because they're so thin/shallow: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068R57N/RetroSound-R-57N.html?tp=105. I talked with the guys at Crutchfield extensively a couple years ago when I was thinking about upgrading (couldn't - money had to be put to another use unfortunately) and got some nice suggestions. It's really dependent on how much money you want to spend. Keep in mind the front has separate tweeters up above along the windows that may stop working if you put in new speakers. Not sure about that, but I know some people here have upgraded theirs successfully. The people at Crutchfield are super helpful, too.

Last edited:
My 13 1/2 year old daughter has confirmed that the Aux port does indeed work on the 5, so life is wonderful as far as she is concerned :)

Back