Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How long did your brake pads last?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by katmar View Post
    How long did your front and rear brake pads last?
    Five years and 54,000 kilometers front. OE rears still in service.

Brian

'14.5 CX-5 Touring AWD, Soul Red | '14 CX-5 Touring AWD White

1st cx-5: 47K rears , fronts with some life left, but replaced both with Wagner thermo quiet
    2nd cx-05: 45K front and rears with some life left but replaced both with akebonos.

Both work very well.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Quote Originally Posted by Panda_415 View Post
    I think there is 2 strong factors which determine when you need new break pads / rotors ...

1. the way you drive / stop and go traffic / heavy breaking

2. actual road conditions such as weather conditions

I personally got the feeling my break pads / rotors will last a while
    due to my own personal driving style and that I live in mild climate conditions.
    But if you're in SF proper, those seven hills will take their toll! Take it from a native.

Registered Member

2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring FWD . 2014 CX-5 GT FWD

Quote Originally Posted by Bon Scott View Post
    My dealer has told me the past 2 visits that my rear pads and rotors are going and will need to be replaced. I have 60,000 kms (37,200 miles) on the vehicle. My brakes are now squeaking like crazy so I have an appt for Saturday am. To be honest, I expected more mileage here before having to replace pads/rotors. I'm also a bit confused as to why the rears went before the fronts. When I scheduled my appt, the service lady said it's normal for CX5 for the rears to go before the fronts.

Bon Scott
    That's about when I did mine (pads, but not squeaking) and yes, it's common now with ABS for the rears to go first. I'd be surprised if the rotors were shot unless the car is parked outside in the wet and snow and only driven short distances (IOW, rusting over every night). Having driven in Toronto's nasty traffic, I know you use the brakes a lot. Ask the dealer for the rotor measurements.

BTW, do your own brakes if you're at all handy. It requires no special tools, is way cheaper, and just as safe as leaving it to the dealer. The fringe benefit is that you will also gain an appreciation for what's really going on.
    Last edited by Thaumaturge; 09-14-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Registered Member

2013 CX-9 AWD, 2016.5 CX-5 AWD

Just a heads up for 2016/2017 owners....

There's a maintenance mode for the electronic parking brake. You should activate it before working on the rear brake pads.....see link

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ctronic-brakes

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Force distribution wears out first the rear brakes, not the ABS. There is more force applied at the rear, than at the front.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

53k miles rear pads replaced. They were at 3mm. My fronts are still good.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow How long did your brake pads last?

Quote Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
    Force distribution wears out first the rear brakes, not the ABS. There is more force applied at the rear, than at the front.

2016 CX-5 GT

Just hit 56,000 on my '16 GT. Had it in for an oil change yesterday and they mentioned the rears are close to the indicator and should be done. Fronts are still okay. Currently deciding which pads to replace them with as I always do them myself. (And yes, I know about the EPB maintenance procedure.)

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cinoclav View Post
    Just hit 56,000 on my '16 GT. Had it in for an oil change yesterday and they mentioned the rears are close to the indicator and should be done. Fronts are still okay. Currently deciding which pads to replace them with as I always do them myself. (And yes, I know about the EPB maintenance procedure.)
    Go with OE replacements. Mazda always does a good job developing pads that offer balanced performance. They're a little pricey, but worth the $$.

2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Cinoclav View Post
    OEM pads (TRW) are good But the stock rotors are shit. Try EBC/Centric, and donít cheap out if you like the way your brakes feel.

Alternatively, I recommend German OEM pads and rotors such as Textar, Pagid, Ferodo or Jurid pads which are dusty but smoother on your rotors for better wear. Thereís a thorough thread on brakes and why german is better over OEM here:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-Brake-Upgrade

Mazdas OEM rotors warp easily and are not this shiny material you want like EBC/Centric, or even better yet Zimmerman rotors.. hands down the best all around street rotors you can get. If you manage to warp a set of these I will personally congratulate you for thoroughly track testing your car whether it was on the street or an actual track. These rotors are track-proven as long as you can get sufficient cooling through the front bumper, where your fog lights are/should be.

What Iím trying to say is, all you really need to do is upgrade the rotors to better quality ones during your brake replacement. but if you want to go the extra distance and buy some quality German brakes, you will benefit regardless of whether you are a conservative driver or push your vehicle to the limit.

Oh, and if you do not brake hard often, be sure to do a firm stop (hard into the pedal, but still short of ABS where your tires start to lock) once in a while. This will evenly wear your pad and ensure a smoother contact to the rotor.
    Last edited by GJ-Molestor; 10-16-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT/Tech

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    For CX-5 we have to add 2 additional factors:

1. Sticking caliper pins due to lack of lubrication from factory.

2. Sticking rear calipers with Electrical Parking Brake due to improper tolerance on rear calipers with EPB.

These 2 are well known issues on CX-5 which will make your brake pads wearing out really fast!
    I'm at 14,000KMS (not miles!) and the rear brakes are squealing. I'm thinking I have an issue with one of those 2 items you listed. That said, with all the safety functions (pre-collision for example), is it expected for the brake pads to wear out quicker?
    My next oil change is coming up so I'll check with the dealer.
    If it ain't Boeing I ain't going

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by lightsandsirens View Post
    I'm at 14,000KMS (not miles!) and the rear brakes are squealing. I'm thinking I have an issue with one of those 2 items you listed. That said, with all the safety functions (pre-collision for example), is it expected for the brake pads to wear out quicker?
    My next oil change is coming up so I'll check with the dealer.
    Squealing brakes are not the same thing as worn out brakes (unless there's something wrong back there) and definitely not at 8400 miles! Get your dealer to check them out.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    I swapped my winters yesterday and again noticed the rear pad are getting down there. Fronts are fine. I ordered some OEM pads for the rear and will replace.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 53K Miles - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ (30% off "shipping" with code "MAZDAS247")

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

At what mileage?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast