How long did your brake pads last?

I tried Mazda customer care, they said I couldn't challenge the claim/warranty unless the dealership submitted a claim. Dealership won't submit a claim and next one is 50+ miles away. Said the paperwork would take hours when they know it is going to be denied. To take to another dealership, I'd have to get towed and cost me a fortune. Then they might not file a claim either. I'll likely try my luck with Mazda Corp, but not expecting any luck.

This is what the dealer stated. :

"Customer felt like calipers might be sticking, tech , checked and tested calipers and the works as should with no sticking, did find brake pads stuck in caliper brackets and due to no lube and dry and rusted up and seized that caused premature wear . will need new brakes to fix issue"

Still waiting on my quote/estimate. I asked him about my multi-point inspection, and he stated that's just a visual and that they can't see everything.

I tried Mazda customer care, they said I couldn't challenge the claim/warranty unless the dealership submitted a claim. Dealership won't submit a claim and next one is 50+ miles away. Said the paperwork would take hours when they know it is going to be denied. To take to another dealership, I'd have to get towed and cost me a fortune. Then they might not file a claim either. I'll likely try my luck with Mazda Corp, but not expecting any luck.

This is what the dealer stated. :

"Customer felt like calipers might be sticking, tech , checked and tested calipers and the works as should with no sticking, did find brake pads stuck in caliper brackets and due to no lube and dry and rusted up and seized that caused premature wear . will need new brakes to fix issue"

Still waiting on my quote/estimate. I asked him about my multi-point inspection, and he stated that's just a visual and that they can't see everything.
No lube on the brackets sounds like a flaw from the factory. Even at 7 years of age my pins and pads still had grease on them. Man alive that’s awful to hear : /

I have 63,000 miles so far and no problems but I guess on the next service it wouldn't be a bad ideal to request lubrication of the caliper pins.

Side note: my girlfriend just had her rear brakes and pad replaced at 140,000 miles and fronts are still OK. She has a 2011 Chevy Cruze and owned it from new, some highway miles but I never thought she was super conservative on her braking when I rode with her, I couldn't believe it.

Side note: my girlfriend just had her rear brakes and pad replaced at 140,000 miles and fronts are still OK. She has a 2011 Chevy Cruze and owned it from new, some highway miles but I never thought she was super conservative on her braking when I rode with her, I couldn't believe it.
I replaced the rear “brake shoes“ on my 1998 Honda CR-V for the first time at 180,000 miles and they still have about ⅓ of thickness left. The front needs the 4th set of pads at 180,000 miles though.

My rears made it to 61k miles; little pad left. Replaced the front pads at the same time; they might have gone another 10k miles.

Data point updated after a year and a half for DIY rear pad wear inspection / measurement.

2015 Touring CX-5 2.5 now at 103k (solo driver).

1 mm of fiction material worn after the past 20k miles in So. Cal environment. The rear pads are original and have 103k and are 4 mm on outside, 3 mm on inside, the slide pins still move freely and were not dry.

My prior post was 10 / 9 / 20.

The rear brakes on my 2019 Signature were worn out after only 20,000 km. I went to my dealership and they replaced the rear pads and the discs on "abnormal wear" warranty. It's a good idea to check first with the dealer in case they can pass a repair on the warranty. Also, I always have the repair shop to do a yearly brake maintenance. They told me it helped getting the replacement approved by Mazda.

I'm wondering if the adaptive cruise control can cause premature wear of brakes.

Last edited:
…I'm wondering it the adaptive cruise control can cause premature wear of brakes.
I can see where this could be a problem on long downhills, unless of course you downshift appropriately to slow the vehicle.

Back