Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 121 to 131 of 131

Thread: How long did your brake pads last?

  1. #121
    Banned Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

    '15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Posts
    6,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    I worked in brake development for 17 years and this is categorically not the case.



    Nope, not this either.

    Interesting notions but absolutely no truth in either of them. It*s all speculation and conjecture.
    How could you say that for example tibis comment is conjecture, when mazda 100% has a braking logic to reduce rolling moments when coming out of a corner.. they even publish media about it.
    Interestignly enough, my rear brakes produce a lot more dust than my fronts even though they provide less brake force and have a thinner rotor (less heat capacity)
    Last edited by Chris_Top_Her; 10-16-2019 at 12:33 PM.

  2. #122
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    2
    My rears went out at 38k miles, I was coming home from work one day and smelled burning rubber. Parked the car in my garage and literally heard the rear rotors cracking/expanding under heat. Upon perusing this forum, it appears to be caused by the faulty rear calipers as my Mazda is a 2016.5.

    Of course I'm used to working on cars with the manual e-brake so just found out that after I replaced the rotors and pads, that I potentially fucked up the calipers even more by not putting the car into maintenance mode and turning the caliper piston in (not compressing). I did all of this after-work since this was my only means of transportation and was wondering why there is no option for after-market rear calipers. I obviously have a problem with the rear-brakes, as I've seen in the TSB but will Mazda cover this even if the car is out of warranty (I bought it in March 2016 and its at 38k.)?

  3. #123
    Registered Member
    Donated: $15

    2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ABE area, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    How could you say that for example tibis comment is conjecture, when mazda 100% has a braking logic to reduce rolling moments when coming out of a corner.. they even publish media about it.
    Interestignly enough, my rear brakes produce a lot more dust than my fronts even though they provide less brake force and have a thinner rotor (less heat capacity)
    It's funny you mention that, I have the same issue. didn't have it with my '14, in fact I had very little dust at all compared to my '16

  4. #124
    Registered Member Anchorman's Avatar

    2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire UK
    Posts
    2,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    How could you say that for example tibis comment is conjecture, when mazda 100% has a braking logic to reduce rolling moments when coming out of a corner.. they even publish media about it.
    Interestignly enough, my rear brakes produce a lot more dust than my fronts even though they provide less brake force and have a thinner rotor (less heat capacity)
    They use carbon as a lubricant in most brake pads and it just depends on the formulation. My comment was about the car dipping by using the rear brakes. Weight transfer depends on the wheelbase and the centre of gravity. You could take the fronts out altogether as the weight still transfers to the front during a stop.

    With regard to “soft” material on the rear, they tend to use virtually the same material front and rear although from different manufacturers from a logistical point of view. The terms hard and soft in relation to friction material isn’t always straight forward because if you measure Brinell Hardnes, you could find the harder is higher in friction. The balance in wear rates is determined by the size of the pad, the piston diameter and the disc diameter.

  5. #125
    Registered Member
    Donated: $15

    2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ABE area, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,473
    Here's something about my 2016 and front rotors. I'm planning on changing front rotors and pads next week. Now, I always use Centric rotors, they're my favorite, but for some reason front rotors from Centric aren't available, from Tire Rack at least and a few other outlets, until December of this year, so I opted to go OEM. The dealer needed my VIN because Mazda apparently used 2 different rotors for the 2016 model year, something you won't find in aftermarkets, at least Centric didn't specify 2 different rotors. It's a decent looking rotor, $83 a piece, Centric rotors from Tire Rack were $79 for one. I'm going with the Akebono pads. Dealer, by the way wanted $94 for a set of front pads, none MV. Almost a $26 jump from 2 years ago when I replaced front pads on my 2014.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by madar; 10-18-2019 at 07:11 AM.

  6. #126
    Registered Member Anchorman's Avatar

    2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire UK
    Posts
    2,619
    The general consensus amongst vehicle and brake manufacturers is that pad and disc life are not important compared to performance. It is an aspiration to get two sets of pads to one set of discs but not a requirement. The main priority is to meet the raft of legal requirements laid down by legislation and in that respect we rarely have concerns about performance of modern braking systems. Work to improve refinement including things like noise and creep groan continue.

  7. #127
    Registered Member

    92 MX-3; 18 CX-5

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    They use carbon as a lubricant in most brake pads and it just depends on the formulation. My comment was about the car dipping by using the rear brakes. Weight transfer depends on the wheelbase and the centre of gravity. You could take the fronts out altogether as the weight still transfers to the front during a stop.

    With regard to *soft* material on the rear, they tend to use virtually the same material front and rear although from different manufacturers from a logistical point of view. The terms hard and soft in relation to friction material isn*t always straight forward because if you measure Brinell Hardnes, you could find the harder is higher in friction. The balance in wear rates is determined by the size of the pad, the piston diameter and the disc diameter.
    I stand corrected - thanks for sharing your expertise.
    I would swear that my 2003 Maxima used OEM organic pads in the rear and semi-metallic in the front.
    My only point: Not surprised to find rear pads wearing as fast or faster compared to front pads This is consistent with my experience maintaining over a dozen or so cars since early 2000 models. So, whatever the cause, rear pads seem to wear at about the same rate as front pads - and often rears are worn to replacement before the fronts.
    No one needs to worry that rear pads are wearing a bit faster - unless you have other braking problems like sticking calipers or parking brake

  8. #128
    Registered Member

    2014 mazda cx-5 touring FWD

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    149
    What about pad(friction material) original thickness on rear as opposed to front.My last car (1998 Buick Regal LS) had thinner rear disc pads when I replaced all four with Akebono(pricey) pads.Anybody know the original material thickness from the factory?

  9. #129
    Registered Member
    Donated: $20

    2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    1,151
    I am ending my 4th year with ton of life still left. Approx at 47k miles. The 1 thing I did was to yearly clean my brakes - calipers/pins after NJ winter's over. That extends the life quite a bit.

  10. #130
    ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

    '16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Red Bluff, CA
    Posts
    3,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    How could you say that for example tibis comment is conjecture, when mazda 100% has a braking logic to reduce rolling moments when coming out of a corner.. they even publish media about it.
    Interestignly enough, my rear brakes produce a lot more dust than my fronts even though they provide less brake force and have a thinner rotor (less heat capacity)
    Yes, not to mention Brake assist and EBD...

    https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/...safety/bk_ebd/

    Just had 50k service, tech verified 5mm remain rear pads, 8mm remain front pads.
    Last edited by mazdadude; 11-08-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    Mazda's I have owned over the years. (boom07)
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
    02.5' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - sold
    03' Mazda Protege5 AT - sold
    09' Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT - sold
    16.5' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current

  11. #131
    Registered Member

    2016 CX-5 GT AWD

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Idyllwild, CA
    Posts
    41
    I'm at 57000 miles on original pads. I live in the mountains, but am not an aggressive driver.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-17-2013, 12:27 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-06-2012, 07:46 PM
  3. How Long Have Your Brake Pads Lasted?
    By Hazenvagen in forum CX-9 Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-30-2010, 03:50 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 12:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •