How long did your brake pads last?

Don't believe there's any low pads warning sensor or simple build-in metal tab on OEM pads.
No squealers?? I thought all cars had them.
Actually I believe more vehicles dont have it on OEM pads. My 1998 Honda CR-V doesnt have it、and my 2001.5 VW Passat doesnt have it either. My 2000 BMW has a fancy disc pad low warning light in instrument cluster. But I learned the lesson that I shouldnt wait the warning light on to replace the pads. Once the lights is on, it would be additional $30 per wheel for a mechanical one-time-use sensor to replace!

At 76k miles, my fronts were still at 6, except for one pad at 4. They were wearing unevenly. I will be replacing them along with getting the front rotors resurfaced because they need it.

Rears are still good. I got them replaced at 52k miles.

At 76k miles, my fronts were still at 6, except for one pad at 4. They were wearing unevenly. I will be replacing them along with getting the front rotors resurfaced because they need it.

Rears are still good. I got them replaced at 52k miles.
Your uneven thickness on pads could be caused by lack of lubricant on caliper pins which is very common problem on CX-5. Make sure to pull、clean、and re-pack some rubbee-save brake grease. Thiss what Ive used on my recent Honda CR-V brake job:

12024852_ags_bk4_pri_larg.jpg

Your uneven thickness on pads could be caused by lack of lubricant on caliper pins which is very common problem on CX-5. Make sure to pull*clean*and re-pack some rubbee-save brake grease. This*s what I*ve used on my recent Honda CR-V brake job:

12024852_ags_bk4_pri_larg.jpg

Thanks Yrwei...I will be sure to do so.

About 70k on my CX5. Rear pads were down to about 20-25%. I ordered all news pads and rotors and installed today. Found the front pads had at least 50% material left! Oh well. Everything swapped out and good to go on all four corners now. Maybe I*ll get 10 years off this new set :D

Akebono ProACT pads and Carquest Plantinum painted rotors.

How long did your front and rear brake pads last? Just curious what the average experience is, and what to expect.
Just replaced rears on 2016 CX-5 at 52,000 miles. Fronts are in the 'green zone' on the dealership scale.
I live in Los Angeles and I'm ALWAYS in stop-and-go traffic.

Did you use the factory brake components? I'm in LA too, and I'm at 56k. I need to check the rear brake condition, though. They make a weird squeaking sound, when I'm backing up.

thank you!

For CX-5 we have to add 2 additional factors:

1. Sticking caliper pins due to lack of lubrication from factory.

2. Sticking rear calipers with Electrical Parking Brake due to improper tolerance on rear calipers with EPB.

These 2 are well known issues on CX-5 which will make your brake pads wearing out really fast!

**I've been a shade tree mechanic for years, and never saw rear brake pad wear on a vehicle like the '16 CX-5 I just bought, at 38k miles. Replacing now with OEMs, but thank you for the input about the EPB, and lack of lube. would never have thought of the EPB being too tight a tolerance. **

doesn't this site have the ability to set up a poll?

that would help a lot more than trying to scan 8 pages to see individual data points...

DIY data point. 2015 touring 2.5 rear pads measured @83,000 miles off the caliper brackets with calibrated tool. Outside pads were 1mm more than inside pads which is typical from what has been observed by others. Slider pins moved freely although minimal grease noted when each removed and regreased. Backing plates measured 6mm. Pad friction material wearing at a rate that seems much less than other forum members report. I informed my daughter that I will fit new rear pads @100,000 miles due to the inside pads 4mm and outside pads 5mm remaining. The metal mounting clips were scrubbed clean and treated to a vinegar soak and cleanup of brake dust accumulation. Cleaned wheel barrels and reassembled with safety check / test drive around the neighborhood and retorqed lug nuts.
So. Cal. Driving environment.

Interesting thread. Just to add, the wife's CX-5 is a little over 52,000 miles and the inside rear brake pads are down to 2mm. The fronts are still in the green. Will be getting the rear brake pads replaced soon. I thought it was weird that the rear brake pads are wearing out more, but from this thread that looks to be normal.

Not surprised that rear pads are wearing as fast or faster compared to front pads. For many years now manufacturers have been formulating the pads specifically for that outcome. They can't change the physics - braking is front wheel biased. But, OEM rear pad friction material can be made softer so that they bite better and contribute as much as possible to braking. The result, I think, is that they do wear as fast or faster compared to the front brakes.

**I've been a shade tree mechanic for years, and never saw rear brake pad wear on a vehicle like the '16 CX-5 I just bought, at 38k miles. Replacing now with OEMs, but thank you for the input about the EPB, and lack of lube. would never have thought of the EPB being too tight a tolerance. **

38K on brake pads? Not great, but not bad if the miles are mostly city driven. EPB concern would be evident by then with scorched rotors. So that may be something to consider. A Mazda dealer should be able to check records to see if the TSB action for EPB was taken on your vehicle even if you did not buy it from a dealer.

I believe, that for the early wear on the rear brakes, is cause by the electronic brakeforce distribution system. It applies more force to the rear, this way when you apply a sudden brake, the car won't dip.

Not surprised that rear pads are wearing as fast or faster compared to front pads. For many years now manufacturers have been formulating the pads specifically for that outcome. They can't change the physics - braking is front wheel biased. But, OEM rear pad friction material can be made softer so that they bite better and contribute as much as possible to braking. The result, I think, is that they do wear as fast or faster compared to the front brakes.

I worked in brake development for 17 years and this is categorically not the case.

I believe, that for the early wear on the rear brakes, is cause by the electronic brakeforce distribution system. It applies more force to the rear, this way when you apply a sudden brake, the car won't dip.

Nope, not this either.

Interesting notions but absolutely no truth in either of them. It*s all speculation and conjecture.

Back