How long did your brake pads last?

My rear had 5% left as of today, after 60,000 km, and I am replacing. The front are at 50% according to the service department. I used to drive pretty aggressively and I live in a hilly city with lots of stop and go traffic.

I'm about to hit 30k and my rear pads look pretty worn. I ordered some OEM replacements from Mazda and this came. Does Akebono manufacturer our OEM pads? I thought it was someone else? This is for 2014.

qps39x.jpg

vffo5v.jpg

Also does anyone know who makes the value product line for Mazda?

For CX-5 we have to add 2 additional factors:

1. Sticking caliper pins due to lack of lubrication from factory.

2. Sticking rear calipers with Electrical Parking Brake due to improper tolerance on rear calipers with EPB.

These 2 are well known issues on CX-5 which will make your brake pads wearing out really fast!

I just bought a 2018 CX-5, and noticed that when I'm at a complete stop and then let off the brakes before accelerating, it kind of stutters. Is this part of the sticking calipers??

Interesting stuff.
I don't have anything particularly brilliant to add, but it is noteworthy that on every car I've ever owned with 4 wheel disc brakes, the rears were always the first to go.
Pads, rotors, seized calipers, whatever. Always the rears.
On cars with drums in the back, no issues.
In fact, my 17 year old Nissan Pathfinder with 315,000 Kms on it, is still running with the original drums and shoes.
I've never had to replace them, ever, and yes, I check once a year. Even the e-brake still works.
I'll be very interested to see what happens with my new car a few years down the line.
Cheers everyone.

The rears go faster, since they have introduced brake force distribution. In the past, when somebody was braking hard, the hole car was nose diving. With the new system in place, the force was distributed to the rear, to avoid nose diving. That is why the rear wears out faster, than the front ones. I just don't understand, why they don't increase the size of the rear brake pads and calipers.

I just don't understand, why they don't increase the size of the rear brake pads and calipers.

That would make too much sense.

Also why not use vented discs/rotors on the back? On most cars, they are solid steel.

Probably has something to do with cost.

We just passed 40,000 miles, and rear pads are at 3mm. Dealer says he's out of stock...ha ha, wonder why!

Hi,
My cx5 is now 80000 km and had 5mm left for past 8 months. 80% city. Will wait another 6 month to see if we need to replace pads.
Is new rotor is better or resurface is sufficient?

Hi,
My cx5 is now 80000 km and had 5mm left for past 8 months. 80% city. Will wait another 6 month to see if we need to replace pads.
Is new rotor is better or resurface is sufficient?

Most places won't resurface anymore, they just replace.

Just checked mine tonight during an oil change. With 48k on the clock I'm down to 1/4 inch up front and 3/16ths on the rear. I'll be doing a pad & rotor change at the next oil change.

120,000 km on 2013 - no brakes needed yet :) 3mm all round at today's service. Driving is city / rural. Almost never on the highway. I love my CX-5.

Last edited:
2016.5 CX-5. Replaced both rear pads and rotors at 22,400 miles. Showed the advisor the TSB regarding the parking brake, they said there's nothing wrong with the calipers or parking brake. https://photos.app.goo.gl/7LazA2rwgUvJd1Fq8

Unless it displayed the pads getting white from heat as is shown in the TSB or the outboard pad wearing abnormally faster than the inboard pad, they won't do it under the TSB. Had to bring mine back twice before they changed everything under the TSB. Pads and rotor change at 22k miles is insanely early not to have a problem.

Last edited:
Hi there. I got my Mazda CX 5 14' Touring in July 17 as a CPO. Mazda dealer shop gave me new tires but according to the paper work, they didn't give me new brakes
kDLXb95.jpg
. I drove about 36k miles in 16 months. With the black Friday sale, I decided to change my breaks. Here was my little surprise. ...
lS0Umtp.jpg
. Since I purchased the brake and already took it down,I decided to change it. My back should be worst anyways... it wasn't
BG46gwI.jpg
. I drive about 40 miles 4 days a week, 10 miles city. I do take long road trips 400-2k miles. I can see theses brake last another 30k with my driving conditions.

Do we have any warning, when the brake pads go low? Like metal tab touching the disks, or something similar?

Those brake pads look pretty good for the amount of miles on them.Hope mine last that well.Worth paying a bit more for OEM Mazda pads in my book. Jmaz

Do we have any warning, when the brake pads go low? Like metal tab touching the disks, or something similar?
Don't believe there's any low pads warning sensor or simple build-in metal tab on OEM pads.

Back