Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How long did your brake pads last?

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    This will probably be my May project... rears looks pretty simple

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/M...ide/index.html

EDIT: I threw Paul a donation. His work is bound to save many on these service items.
    Last edited by Kedis82ZE8; 04-13-2018 at 05:37 PM.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 53K Miles - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ (30% off "shipping" with code "MAZDAS247")

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow How long did your brake pads last?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    I'm gonna throw a new hardware kit on the rear as well. OEM only about $14

PN: K0Y12649ZA ('13-'15)

Does this shim kit include 2 different type of brake greases in the background?

On Honda the OEM brake pad kits do include these shims and brake grease. And your Mazda OEM rear brake pad kit doesn't include any of these?

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    The OEM pads I bought came with those two. I'll let you know tomorrow when the shim kit arrives if that also includes them.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

This will probably be my May project... rears looks pretty simple

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/M...ide/index.html

EDIT: I threw Paul a donation. His work is bound to save many on these service items.
    Paul's Travel Pictures do offer excellent write-up.

Two comments here, most importantly his write-up only applies to 1st-gen CX-5 without Electrical Parking Brake, not for all "1st generation 2012-2016 Mazda CX-5 SUV" as claimed. Use Lisle 28600 brake caliper piston tool to back off caliper piston most likely would damage the EPB mechanism! Use Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes procedure provided by Anchorman and posted by tomcat1446 instead of special brake tool to back off the caliper piston on EPB equipped 1st-gen CX-5 for rear brakes.

Secondly, the write-up says to use an open-end wrench to loose a caliper bolt. I'd never use a open-end wrench, a "Flare Nut" open-end wrench should be used if everything else failed.

The OEM pads I bought came with those two. I'll let you know tomorrow when the shim kit arrives if that also includes them.
    Then what is the purpose of getting this extra shim kit?

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Good point...Yeah.. I wouldn't use an open end wrench either. I was thinking more of general guidance for the non EPB first gen models.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Then what is the purpose of getting this extra shim set?
    I didn't purchase the shim kit for the lubricants. I just wanted to replace all aspects of the rear brake hardware. If all for naught a waste of less than $15 which won't likely make things worse.

I didn't purchase the shim kit for the lubricants. I just wanted to replace all aspects of the rear brake hardware. If all for naught a waste of less than $15 which won't likely make things worse.
    I see. Normally OEM brake pad kit will include everything needed, including brake grease, to be replaced as outlined in the Service Manual. That's why I always get OEM kit. Please let us know what are the additional pieces in the shim kit not included in your OEM brake pad kit.

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Yeah.. the OEM pads don't include the shim kit.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda 6 Sport

Good point...Yeah.. I wouldn't use an open end wrench either. I was thinking more of general guidance for the non EPB first gen models.
    why not? I've used open end wrenches to do the rear brakes on a Mazda 6 and it was super easy

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    I just liking having contact points on all sides of the bolt and try to never use 12 point sockets on anything of importance.

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    I swapped my pads and shims this morning. The hardware came with greases as well. Make sure the spring piece of hardware shim is compressed enough because I didn't do that the first time and wear indicator popped off one of the pads. Easy enough to put back on though. I just took my time. Jacked up by the rear differential, jack stands on each side, tires under for extra safety and chocked front wheels on both sides.

I swapped my pads and shims this morning. The hardware came with greases as well. Make sure the spring piece of hardware shim is compressed enough because I didn't do that the first time and wear indicator popped off one of the pads. Easy enough to put back on though. I just took my time. Jacked up by the rear differential, jack stands on each side, tires under for extra safety and chocked front wheels on both sides.
    So the only item in your hardware skim kit K0Y12649ZA not included in your OEM brake pad kit is the metal spring piece?

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Everything here was included in the hardware kit.

The only redundant items with brake pads were the brown and black grease packets. Just pads and grease. Nothing else pictured above came with pads.

Arrow

I just liking having contact points on all sides of the bolt and try to never use 12 point sockets on anything of importance.
    Agreed. But from my experience 12-point socket or wrench is good enough appling force against all 6 corners of bolt or nut. I've never stripped any bolts or nuts by using 12-point as long as bolts and nuts are in good shape. Standard open-end wrench is a different story with only 2 out of 6 contact points when force applied.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast