New design Hidden Hitch / Draw-Tite Class III hitch on the market

MazdasForAll

:
2008 Mazdaspeed 3 & 1999 Miata Sport
There's a new Hidden Hitch (#87686) / Draw-Tite (#75217) (same hitch, both owned by Sequent). At first glance it looks identical to the Curt hitch, same mounting system. It's 6 lbs lighter than the Curt. The obvious difference between the two is that the hitch mounts just a tad closer to the bumper, so less chance of scraping. The Sequent hitches do not require a stabilization strap for luggage or bike carriers, though that is probably just a legal issue on the part of Curt. The Curt has a bigger receiver mounting flange and looks like a better mechanical design, based on the pictures.

There's a 6 lb difference (shipping weight) -- do they use a thinner material? Smaller rectangular tubing? How's the quality of the welds and the power coating?

I like the Sequent hitch for it's higher mounting, but the Curt hitch is tried-and-true and you can't go wrong with it. The Curt is US made, the Sequent is off-shore, my guess it's made in Mexico.

Has anyone installed one of these new hitches? I've owned two Curt hitches and both have been great. I'm looking for a hitch for my new CX-5.

--- Rich

I will let you know i just ordered from hitchweb.com only $161 CAD shipped to my address has to be a price error as every other hitch I've looked at to get in Canada is 250+++

install completed, i feel the hitch is of great quality! was a 45 minute install with another person and the car backed up on ramps using a pail to hold up the exhaust once it was released from its rubber grips. Releasing the rubber grips was the worst, WD40 helped but they were still stuck on those metal rods.

http://postimg.org/image/fg9s0g9if/785269ac/
Showing the bolts that must be tightened to secure the hitch two on each side
http://postimg.org/image/696q0fikb/4dd4c702/
Finally a shot from the back showing how little is visible, no bar just the receiver
http://postimg.org/image/vrkllf803/52f7311e/

Last edited:
Looking at pic 2 it appears that the muffler pin sits very close to the hitch mounting bracket. Considering it is meant to move around hanging on the rubber holder, doesn't it bang in to the hitch (even if occasionally). I wonder if Curt uses different mounting design for that reason.

Looking at pic 2 it appears that the muffler pin sits very close to the hitch mounting bracket. Considering it is meant to move around hanging on the rubber holder, doesn't it bang in to the hitch (even if occasionally). I wonder if Curt uses different mounting design for that reason.
I have a Curt 1.5" on my car and had the very same issue. Under certain conditions (mainly pulling steep grade with wide open throttle) I would get a nasty metallic vibration at the rear. Took a couple of adjustments of the hitch to get the proper clearances, but I finally got it sorted.

I have a Curt 1.5" on my car and had the very same issue. Under certain conditions (mainly pulling steep grade with wide open throttle) I would get a nasty metallic vibration at the rear. Took a couple of adjustments of the hitch to get the proper clearances, but I finally got it sorted.

1.5" ???

Nope never any banging, only ever hauled twice though for moving uhaul uboxes.

Nope never any banging, only ever hauled twice though for moving uhaul uboxes.

That's good to hear, thanks Chris. On my old car the muffler was banning in the U-Haul installed 1 1/4 hitch all the time; when I saw the clearance on the second picture the long suppressed memories resurfaced:). Is it the angle the picture was taken from; maybe is just an optical illusion and there is plenty of space up there for all I know. I would really prefer the Hidden Hitch 2'' over the Curt one mostly because of the more discreet fit (although the lower price doesn't hurt either).

qu131221_800.jpg

The Curt receiver sticks out from the cross beam further, causing more moment and stress. That's why it's 6 pounds heavier than the Draw-tite.

The Curt receiver sticks out from the cross beam further, causing more moment and stress. That's why it's 6 pounds heavier than the Draw-tite.

This is EXCELLENT information, and was the deciding factor in my decision. Couldn't be happier and thank you for the detail oriented post!

Here's the install of my DrawTite classIII hitch

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

hitch1.jpghitch2.jpghitch3.jpg

Back