2016 CX-5 Can't Charge A Phone

AudioJill

:
CX-5 grand touring 2016
Hi all. I have my first Mazda (coming off a Subaru) and I use my phone for navigation. In my Subaru, I would plug it in to the USB adapter that I put in the "lighter" outlet and it would prevent the battery from depleting during navigation and even charge it up. My new Mazda can't do either. I plug the sam phone with the same charger cable into the already existing USB ports and the charge is such a trickle, it only charges if the screen is off. Not really great if I'm navigating with the phone. It can't even maintain the current battery level, which would be fine with me. Anyone else have this issue, know how to fix it, or is it a repair issue?

I was going to try that last night but couldn't find it while I was in the parking lot. The downside of that also it that the charging wires is now across the radio controls and it's messy. I'll do it if I have to but it's irritating on a brand new car.
Thanks for the suggestion and I'll try it today.

What phone is it? Seems unlikely to be a car issue. Mine can hold charge on an iphone with navigation and screen on, and charge with screen off from the USB port. With a higher-amp converter in the lighter socket it will both charge and and run the phone.

Glad I have a 2015 with the power outlet in front cubby hole. Tried my phone using usb in console and it would not charge (android).

I have an Android, Samsung Galaxy 3 and put a new battery in it about 6 months ago. Again, no trouble with it in my Subaru, only one month ago.

i agree that the USB ports are not great for charging...they could probably keep a phone at the battery level you had it when plugged in, but not to actually recharge it. console outlet is much better. buy a high-amp dual USB car charger adapter and attach a long (1-meter) cable (microUSB for your android) and put the phone in the cubby slot to the driver's side of the cupholder and charge it from there from the cable. it doesn't interfere too much with the mazdaconnect controls at all from there. but there is a cable coming out of the console to your phone.

btw, this console-based charging will charge the phone even with the engine off, whereas the USB ports at the front will not.

2016 cx-5 GS - usb ports in dash (next to sd nav slot) both work fine for charging iphone 5s via usb cord - no battery drain

in console ac plug with also works well, snake the cord out through the cord cutout, place in cellphone cubby next to driver, or all the way into dash cubby

2016 cx-5 GS - usb ports in dash (next to sd nav slot) both work fine for charging iphone 5s via usb cord - no battery drain

in console ac plug with also works well, snake the cord out through the cord cutout, place in cellphone cubby next to driver, or all the way into dash cubby

+1

I have an iphone6, and it does not charge well from the USB ports. My wife has an iphone5 and it recharges easily from the USB ports. The USB does keep my phone at a constant state of charge when using maps (waze) or streaming audio. The charging port in the center console dose charge it up (iphone6) quicker.

Most new phones need 2A to charge and older USB specs can't provide this kind of current draw.
My 2014 will *maybe* charge my phone when it is off. I will not even get a charging icon when it is on.

I have purchased a 110V/USB 2A charger on Amazon which plugs into the outlet in the console. With it, I can charge my phone / tablet and power a laptop.

Last edited:
Just picked up a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD last Thursday, and this annoys me much more than it should. Its probably the only thing i dislike about the car. I understand that phones have started to require higher amounts of power, and they advanced much quicker than automotive tech. But USB 3.0 has been mainstream for at least 2-3 years now, which would provide enough power. Mazda, and actually most automotive manufacturers, have had plenty of time to implement updated ports. Anyway, i just ordered a USB Y cable to see if that works. For those who don't know what this is, USB portable hard drives used to come with them. This one basically has 2 USB Male connections (1 data+power the other just power) and 1 USB Female connection. I should have it later this week and I'll let everyone know if it works. It should, assuming the ports in the car are standard USB 2.0.

http://3gstore.com/product/716_usb-y-adapter.html

Here is a better image of what it is for those that aren't too familiar with USB cables.

rC8tChgZpjG172o5Za8HvlYUdf7sY9NO81HnD7erLbwVDlKshkfqqwGy_kb4iI_Un0pEYhdvxH6K_tDW53aNr6Bp_X51U-BOQU3wqVRETlcQXA1hPfJ69Pf-_PsfSpJMjookPFs9D_AwJyffuCe3d6WwpFeTjeWI3cwevv0Sotm07PEa_8mrsxgEVJZOyZ_8NC3vqctsEV539L85GVd-TiULn4Orgs2d-vxF3sJJFy9F4YFjv2zdF_T8JtY76ROZTSMD9ZdrddMZlHjQr6qvt7Z4qytEIm3EcGoSw22CV59TGa4jsZCY_pnQmEhZHe5A67vH8TPQcyjtpmOrU1cfTVJ6bgOOVJ0CMDoSrEMkqkJMQgtmh_CHDhi8XFxdIsXvs0R5MHbR_YX4V8eThGlITGCPVxrJF_tn8ofzy-lypziwIxdXspKQt0ay5awLRk3z61xmJqRrW1d8swNMhCbeNqgthiIrpmMkaX_mh-Wa82ln2L_Fo6UtyNHFXtTmrdTZQZI4xqADggfPNNJUrQV_OQvJbyo7nVQ6zZwK5AaMN-fH=w604-h483-no

Just picked up a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD last Thursday, and this annoys me much more than it should. Its probably the only thing i dislike about the car. I understand that phones have started to require higher amounts of power, and they advanced much quicker than automotive tech. But USB 3.0 has been mainstream for at least 2-3 years now, which would provide enough power. Mazda, and actually most automotive manufacturers, have had plenty of time to implement updated ports. Anyway, i just ordered a USB Y cable to see if that works. For those who don't know what this is, USB portable hard drives used to come with them. This one basically has 2 USB Male connections (1 data+power the other just power) and 1 USB Female connection. I should have it later this week and I'll let everyone know if it works. It should, assuming the ports in the car are standard USB 2.0.

http://3gstore.com/product/716_usb-y-adapter.html

Well, USB is a standard and even USB 3 (which I doubt is what Mazda has) only supports up-to 1.5A when no data is transferred. For many new phones 2A is ideal for charging. Keep in mind that the charger you get with your phone is not USB complaint.
For this reason, a cable like yours or this one might help, because it disables the data-transfer function (I have yet to verify this actually works in the car though!). Note that a USB 2 port could provide the same current, if it supports Battery charge spec, which is a newer, 2010 spec.
What you really want is "Type-C", but that's not widely available yet, even on phones.

Last edited:
Well, USB is a standard and even USB 3 (which I doubt is what Mazda has) only supports up-to 1.5A when no data is transferred. For many new phones 2A is ideal for charging. Keep in mind that the charger you get with your phone is not USB complaint.
For this reason, a cable like yours or this one might help, because it disables the data-transfer function (I have yet to verify this actually works in the car though!). Note that a USB 2 port could provide the same current, if it supports Battery charge spec, which is a newer, 2010 spec.
What you really want is "Type-C", but that's not widely available yet, even on phones.

Thanks ALafya!

Though you are correct that disabling the data would, most likely solve this problem, i personally feel you are then taking away a convenient feature of the car... USB audio. Bluetooth audio isn't always the best method. The Y cable i shared should do the trick though. The "power only" port should allow enough power for my iPhone 6+ to charge, while the "power+data" will keep the device connected to the Infotainment allowing USB audio to be available.

The USB port is pumping 0.5 amps AT BEST. Even the Galaxy 5s and iPhone 5S (iirc) uses 2.0A charging. 5V 0.5A will maintain a phone's charge at best.

Agreed the USB ports are worthless on the iPhone 6 plus, let alone to charge an iPad. On the 2016 there's no more 12v power outlet except under the armrest. This 12v power outlet stay on when the ignition if off. This means I have to unplug a USB charger to prevent battery drain. Does anyone leave their USB charger in the 12v outlet? I wonder if it drains the battery.

I'm looking for a strong and reliable USB charger that is sufficient to charge an iPhone 6 plus AND an iPad. The cheap crap I bought off of eBay broke shortly. Any recommendations?

The cable I posted above does not take away anything. It is power only if you press a button, data + power if you press it again.
Note I am using it mostly with my workstation at work and, because I usually don't charge the phone while driving, I have not tried it in the car yet.

Not happy to read that the power socket is now permanently live, I have plugs into my 2013 car for my dash cam, and car charger, so now I have to consider how best to get round it.
Unplugging after every trip is a none starter, really who wants the socket permanently live?

On my car both power sockets are dead with the car turn off, I use the console one for the two items mentioned above, and the dash one to view my plug in voltage meter, which permanently lives there.

Now why have mazda taken away a socket, its not as if from reading the posts that the USB is capable of fully charging a phone, my three year old laptop has USB 3, I would expect a revised car to have the same.

Last edited:
Back