So who's getting a 2016 Miata?

Antoine

Administrator
Well, I was cruising around in the Cosmo today and I thought, why don't I stop by the local Mazda dealer and check it out...Unfortunately, every Mazda dealer in my area is closed today (they're all part of the same group). Perhaps it was a "Cosmic" sign that I shouldn't even consider a new car...lol...Now I've seen the new Miata in person several times but I have yet to even sit in one or go for a test drive. The looks and package are growing on me and while it's highly unlikely I would ever trade in the Cosmo for a Miata (or any new car), I must admit it seems like a very appealing car for the price!

Which made me think...I wonder who's going to get one on Mazdas247 and will they keep it stock? ;)

If anyone has the new Miata already or is planning on getting one, I would love to know about it, thanks! :D

Well either NO ONE is getting a new Miata here or you're all just a bit shy... ;)

In any case, I took the liberty of dropping by my local Mazda dealer in Kobe for a quick check and to snap some photos. No time for a test drive this visit but I may in the future. Before I post the pics, I'd like to share my first impressions.

The new Miata is definitely a dynamic looking sports car despite its small size. The styling and new face is growing on me and while I love some angles, other views are not so hot. It doesn't help that they display the new model with small wheels and massive wheel gap. That can be corrected though so it's not a major issue. One real issue for some is that the JDM version (called the Roadster or ロードスター) is only available with the 1.5L SkyActiv engine at this time (if I'm not mistaken). The interior is stylish yet functional and materials seem solid. I'm not a "big guy" by any means but it did feel a bit small inside. Also, since the nose drops off rapidly, all I could see of the front were the large fender arches and a bit of the hood. As I spent more time in the Miata, I did start to feel its potential, that it wants to be driven and enjoyed. The engine with the stock exhaust does not evoke much emotion but I guess that can be remedied somewhat with an exhaust system upgrade. The engine is also guilty of not emitting an impressive sound but that's to be expected given the fact it's just a small SkyActiv 4banger. All that said, I think the stock version is a great relatively affordable sports car that with just a few upgrades can be a real blast to drive and an absolute looker!

Am I going to get one..? Highly unlikely but I would love to own the new Miata if I could afford to have more than one car in Japan.

Now enough yapping, on with the pics! :D

Drove this little beast in Sapporo today.

Before driving it I was upset by the fact they only sell the 1.5 in Japan. But the little girl showed me she has some grunt.

It feels sooo light and nimble. I just wish the sway bars were a tad more rigid.
The gear shifter is very short. Second gear felt a little hard to downshift from third.(gearbox not broken in)

Maybe because I had roof open, the car felt more spacious than an 86 I drove last year. The seat suits my huge Gaijin body a bit better.

It was also very interesting to see another version of the engine that's in my Axela AWD. The redline is about 1000rpm higher, and it has more mid range punch, without dropping off at the top.
Definitely remapped, and possibly with different camshaft springs for the higher rpm (guessing).

The roof was very easy to operate. As soon as you unclip it, the windows roll down a bit.

After driving a BMW 640i Grand Coupe minutes before driving the MX5. The little Mazda definitely left me with a much wider smile after the ride.
It was extremely interesting to compare two completely different cars that target very different buyers.

One problem though. The boot lid does not have anywhere to grab when opening, so a 1000klm Soul Red car already had lots of nail scratches on the bumper.

Verdict: Awesome, but a bit too expensive.

767980bf4ea41091aa0967d049060b7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Awesome driving and performance review...Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I was also disappointed initially to hear that you can only get it with the 1.5L SkyActiv engine here in Japan. Who knows though, we might see a boosted 1.5L in the future and or a larger engine option. I did read somewhere that a retractable hardtop version will be offered in the future.

One good thing about being FORCED to go with the 1.5L engine is that I believe it allows the JDM Miata to weigh nearly the same as the original 1989 Miata (if I'm not mistaken). This fact is supported by your report regarding how unbelievably light and nimble it is. If the weight claim is true, that is a very impressive achievement for a car that is relatively affordable. Spec wise, the new Miata seems like a perfect match for enjoying Japanese roads.

Speaking of cost, what's your reasoning for thinking it's a bit expensive? It's no doubt one hell of a sports car and fully loaded it's still less than a loaded entry level euro sports car...Mazda is trying to move upmarket which I think they should be doing...To increase the value of their vehicles as well as the company itself.

Ps...Great pic btw, the styling is very dynamic for such a small car. Very "inviting" as well. :D

Oh, how was the wind noise when driving with the top down? Windows down? Any turbulence? Never drove a convertible before!

Well I haven't driven one yet, did get to check out one at Miata day at Larz Anderson this past month. I really like it a lot! My wife asked if I'd ever sell the MSM and buy a ND, I said I'd love to own both! She said "no way" haha!
The crystal white pearl is my color choice it's a beauty! Maybe someday!!!
3118838992a5394a4482d49e28578b49.jpg

Last edited:
Well I haven't driven one yet, did get to check out one at Miata day at Larz Anderson this past month. I really like it a lot! My wife asked if I'd ever sell the MSM and buy a ND, I said I'd love to own both! She said "no way" haha!
The crystal white pearl is my color choice it's a beauty! Maybe someday!!!

Haha...Yeah, I told my "better half" that I like the new Miata but that it's very unlikely I would EVER sell my Cosmo. She's the one that actually said the best solution would be to have both! That was until she thought about the financials and then promptly shook her head and reminded me I can NOT have two cars (we have two already). Car ownership is very expensive in Japan which is why most families only have one car. I rent my parking space and I have to pay car taxes AND inspection fees plus gas is expensive...I'm feeling the pain just thinking about it now...Doesn't help there are always things I want to fix / replace / upgrade on the Cosmo.

Like you said though...Who knows what the future holds, maybe someday! I'm still hoping Mazda releases a new flagship rotary powered sports car.

Ps...Great pic! (2thumbs)

A little expensive if I compare it to my Axela for example.
I paid 2,600,000 with taxes and all on road costs. It has five seats, all the bells and whistles, and almost the same engine.
From that perspective I find it a little expensive as in the real world it offers a lot less in terms of every day usability.

However, it being a sports car and having its own chassis, suspension and many other unique parts, makes the higher price understandable.

With regards to wind noise; I drove it with roof down and windows down and never got annoyed. I really enjoyed the engine sound.
I am fairly tall(194 cm), so the top of my head/hair was being "chopped" by wind. Which is fair enough and actually reminds you that you are driving a roadster. And even with the roof down, I still had good head room.

Just registered on miata.net since there seems to be a larger online presence of MX-5 enthusiasts than here on mazda247. Sorry, this post may be a little long....

Anyway, I've been wanting a Porsche since I was 12 years old and I'm also into boating and wanting a boat about as long as the Porsche (had a small boat at one time but wanted to get back into the lifestyle). Been actively looking for the right boat but I'm so anal that any previously owned vessel needs to be in pristine condition and there are only a handful that would suffice. Making the wife crazy with my searches and finally one day last week, my son suggests to her that if you let Dad get the Porsche, maybe he will forget about the boat. She made the mistake of sharing his suggestion and I said "ABSOLUTELY"! Then I started looking at Porsches and soon realized that even though they are the penultimate sports car, it's hard to justify the expense of ownership unless you have lots of FU $$$$ which I don't have, unless the lottery office calls notifying me that I won the big one.

Which brings me to the MX-5. Always liked this car and the ND is probably the best version to date. I've been doing precursory research and will probably test drive one this weekend. If it's everything that I've read and seen about, there's a good chance I would take delivery sometime in Spring 2016. And if the lottery office calls, maybe that boat could be at the dock too!

I test drove a GrandTouring in Japan. It's really well put together, the interior feels premium and it's pretty zippy.
So if you can't afford a Cayman or a 911, the Miata will proudly be your baby Porsche.

No way my old lady will allow me to purchase one. But, boy do I dream. Haven't soon forgot the Driving Experience at TMS. Awesome car.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me if a set of golf clubs will fit in the trunk? If so do they fit with the top down as well?

The roof does not eat into trunk space.
I doubt a set of clubs will fit, but I could be wrong.

Sorry

I'm having trouble deciding on what my next fun car is going to be. While they're very different cars, it's either going to be an ND or a Golf R.

I'm having trouble deciding on what my next fun car is going to be. While they're very different cars, it's either going to be an ND or a Golf R.

The Golf R is definitely quicker, has more space and can carry more people.
If that's what you need, then it could be the car for you!

I can see why somebody would pick the Golf as a daily. But as a second car, I would go for the Miata.

Antoine,

Long time, no see.

I have bounced around so many cars since I first joined this forum like 13 years ago. Anyhow, I bought the new ND and am in the process of modding the crap out of it for SCCA and just for fun. So far I've got RSR coilovers (that I bought from a local Hawaii vendor who has a P5 turbo here), 17x8 Advanti Storm S1s with 235/40 tires, a full header-back exhaust (en route) and a tune...and some CorkSport front/rear sways. This car is definitely a dream. I got more pictures on IG @ Matth3wAJ.

If you don't remember me:
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/static/mazdaSpeedTuningPersonalTunerProfile19.html

Haha...Yeah, I told my "better half" that I like the new Miata but that it's very unlikely I would EVER sell my Cosmo. She's the one that actually said the best solution would be to have both! That was until she thought about the financials and then promptly shook her head and reminded me I can NOT have two cars (we have two already). Car ownership is very expensive in Japan which is why most families only have one car. I rent my parking space and I have to pay car taxes AND inspection fees plus gas is expensive...I'm feeling the pain just thinking about it now...Doesn't help there are always things I want to fix / replace / upgrade on the Cosmo.

Like you said though...Who knows what the future holds, maybe someday! I'm still hoping Mazda releases a new flagship rotary powered sports car.

Ps...Great pic! (2thumbs)
well the future may hold something special come spring!��

Im hearing a PRHT for 2017, announced next month????

I've heard the same, although that it might be a later 2016 release. We're waiting to see how it looks, if the wife likes it we will probably get one. I finally sat in one at the local auto show last weekend, very nice with plenty of room for my long legs.

I test drove the 16' MX5 Club and I was disappointed. The 13' MX-5 Club felt sportier and quicker even though the newer one is quicker on paper. My Mazda 2 has less body roll. A Toyota Sienna or Corolla has less body roll than the ND MX-5. It also feels tighter than the NC. I had trouble finding a comfortable seating position and my knees were hitting the dash. I'm not even that tall. I am 5'11. Lastly, the gear shift knob vibrates aggressively. Maybe some bushings can fix that.

However I still intend to buy one eventually. It is a great looking car inside and out. I will wait a couple of years to let the aftermarket catch up so I can install a turbo or supercharger.

Well I've driven a couple now and I would describe it as much more refined than my MSM. I fell in love with it and could see myself using this as a daily summer driver and relegating the 04 MSM as a track/autox car! And my color choice is now ceramic metallic ! Very intriguing color!

Back