Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Build Thread

Donated: $10

Completely Stock P5

Went a little crazy with the P clamps. In my opinion though, it's better to have wires and shit routed nicely away from everything than just being everywhere.

Even though you'll never see anything underneath, you don't want wires all over the place. Routed everything neatly and used either P clamps or repurposed Mazda hardware to keep everything in place.

Another P clamp for the cam/crank/egt wires keeps everything in place. Be sure to leave enough slack to allow the engine to move slightly.

Decided to replace the brake booster hose with a silicone one which will last much longer. There is a check valve inside the stock hose which MUST be swapped over to the new hose to prevent the booster from seeing boost. This is important! I grabbed a couple spares at the junkyard and was able to slide it inside the silicone hose using some dish soap. Ensure you have the valve facing the correct direction.

Completely stock... (lol)

Completely Stock P5

I needed to address the cooling setup on this car. Nothing wrong with what I had before, I just didn't particularly like it. With the A/C condenser and power steering cooler now gone, I had tons of room in front of the radiator to work with now. I decided to build a fan shroud and mount two pusher fans instead of the pullers I had before. This serves two purposes; it frees up room behind the rad for a bigger turbo, and by building a shroud, makes the cooling system more efficient. Some argue that when fans are mounted on the front of a radiator, enclosing them in a shroud will disrupt some of the natural airflow at speed. Because I've got the fans controlled by the Haltech, I can have them come on whenever I see fit, and I maximized the size of them, so there really isn't much radiator that's covered by the shroud.

To start, I took some measurements of the PWR triple-pass radiator, and drew up a blueprint of what I needed. With material ordered, it was bent into shape to make the shroud.

Debated on welding the shroud to the rad permanently, but I want to be able to remove it for cleaning, etc. So, using weatherstrip around the edges to protect the rad as well as provide an airtight seal, I drilled mounting holes for rivets.

Fan holes measured and cut out

Decided to use some chrome acorn nuts (because they look cool) to mount the fans, and riveted the finished shroud to the rad.

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Completely Stock P5

Built up a 4 pin weatherpak connector and mounted the completed rad into the vehicle. Very pleased with how it turned out.

Turbosmart billet fuel rail adapter.

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

03 Protege5

Good work!

My only critiques are:
    1. The cam, crank, and egt sensor wiring is super awkward. All that cleanliness you freed up by eliminating the PS and AC is now cluttered by that bundle of wires. Run them to the back of the motor with your AN oil lines and chop down your wiper fluid filler neck.
    2. Battery - I don't know what you have going on in the hatch, but moving it back there frees up tons of room (and a bunch of weight) in the bay.
    3. The bolt holding the p-clamp down on the coolant neck is dirty =P

Completely Stock P5

Quote Originally Posted by Circuit View Post
    Good work!

My only critiques are:
    1. The cam, crank, and egt sensor wiring is super awkward. All that cleanliness you freed up by eliminating the PS and AC is now cluttered by that bundle of wires. Run them to the back of the motor with your AN oil lines and chop down your wiper fluid filler neck.
    2. Battery - I don't know what you have going on in the hatch, but moving it back there frees up tons of room (and a bunch of weight) in the bay.
    3. The bolt holding the p-clamp down on the coolant neck is dirty =P

Appreciate the criticism, however the objective was not to do a full blown wire-tuck. Function over form. I can't move the battery to the hatch as there is no room with my stereo equipment.

Completely Stock P5

626 Master cylinder upgrade. The stock protégé MC is 15/16" diameter. With the BBK, an upgrade is in order. The master cylinder found on the Mazda 626 and 929 (V6 models with ABS) is a 1" unit. 1/16" doesn't sound like much, but remember surface area increases exponentially in a circle. Given the math, the stock MC has a surface area of 0.69 square inches. The 1" unit has a surface area of 0.79 square inches. A 15% increase. The master cylinder is a direct bolt in, however new lines will have to be made as they now exit on the drivers side of the MC. This has the added benefit of a more stealth look as well. Stock shown on right, 626 on left. One from an automatic will also work, but will not have the nipple on the reservoir for the clutch master cylinder, so you will need to swap the Protégé one over.

Bending and flaring the lines was a challenge. They must make an immediate turn to avoid the space where the battery resides.

With the intake side catch can mounted, I could plumb up new lines. A 120* off the can into a 90* at the valve cover worked great and gave lots of clearance for the intake pipe. Clamped it to the fuel line using a -8 and -6 separator.

Msp 666 Aka Christine mazdaspeedp's Avatar

2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege

nice! will it be back up and running this summer? how did you get such a clean set of mazdaspeed pedals by the way
    motor build in progress. Weisco and Pauter Forged rods and pistons .9mm overbore 9:1 compression. Perrin fuel system and Doc B oil system. New motor mounts by AWR. And new oilpan by AWR. Spec stage 3+ clutch and factory flywheel,Rebuilt cylinder head with FS-ZE cams. Haltech standalone platinum 1000 with Custom patch harness.505 Intake manifold,Steedspeed exhaust manifold with CS Turbo back exhaust system custom fitted and modified cs S pipe, Garrett gtx2867 turbo, custom Fmic setup with Hks ssqv bov, deuchworks fuel pump, Id1000 injectors, Personal steering wheel and hub,GT Spec suspension parts,Mishimoto Radiator with slim fans and Mishi fan shroud,Irradium catch can,bandm oilcooler.Hydra transmission brace plate. Innovative wideband, haltech boost controll solenoid.

Completely Stock P5

From the dealer.

Certified Mazda Tech hornsfan10609's Avatar

2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege x2

I am in awe, incredible work bud. The ultimate Protege
    Mod List. "Jinba Ittai"

2003.5 Titanium Mazdaspeed Protege #1345 Purchased 7/20/10
    2003.5 Titanium Mazdaspeed Protege #1574 Purchased 10/25/14-SOLD
    2003.5 Titanium Mazdaspeed Protege #32 Purchased 3/23/19

2003.5 Laser Blue Protege5 Purchased 6/17/17 SOLD
    2009 Highland Green Mustang Bullitt #5998 12.9@110
    2002 Red Protege5 RIP:4/25/10

2002 p5 (MSP Powered)

What size Silicone hose did you use for the break booster line.

Completely Stock P5

1/2" or 3/8" or something... Had it lying around from years ago.

2003.5 MSP

Incredible work man, you never fail to impress!!

2002 p5 (MSP Powered)

Has the car been started yet? Or just finishing up loose ends

Completely Stock P5

Sorry it's been awhile since the last update.

Had to re-fab up some intercooler pipes. Didn't like the way they were before. Added in and repositioned some stuff, tacked them all up and they went off to legendboy for finish welding.

With the pipes back and given a fresh coat of gloss black, they were installed.

Cut down the washer neck, labeled it for meth, and ran the methanol line through the frame where I could and then used P clamps to secure it on the underside of the frame rail for a stealth look.

Completely Stock P5

Picked up the last remaining new Corksport 80mm Protégé exhaust. I already had the 2.5" P5 one, but wanted to upsize for more boost, so 3.1" will help in that regard. Unfortunately, they never made the 80mm for the P5, so the muffler section will need to be shortened by 4".

Notice the bullshit restriction where it's choked down to 2.5" at the front of the pipe. I understand WHY they did this (to mate with the stock tiny downpipe) but this just won't do for me... I will be using a stainless V-Band. Bullshit restriction removed:

With the exhaust temporarily hung, I could get to work on a new downpipe. Picked up some mild (alum) steel bends to work with, as the pipe will be ceramic coated when complete. Started by welding a 90 to the flange. I can get all 4 allen head bolts on there, but will likely still dimple the pipe slightly.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast