2017 CX5 Changes?

I doubt there are going to be any real changes to the car. Like said before '16 was the mid cycle refresh so they will most likely ride this current configuration for a few more years, mostly un changed. I would like to see the addition of memory seats and paddle shifters though. If that happens I hope the '16's can be modded to accept those parts

I'd love it if memory seats can be retrofitted...

It is probably possible as memory seats is offered in Europe and Australasia for the top spec model. Conceivably, you could order the seats with stepping motor from Europe (LHD model) and fit the seats yourself. The reality is that it is likely to be so expensive that it is not worth it unless it is factory fitted.

Last edited:
I'd love it if memory seats can be retrofitted...
It is probably possible as memory seats is offered in Europe and Australasia for the top spec model. Conceivably, you could order the seats with stepping motor from Europe (LHD model) and fit the seats yourself. The reality is that it is likely to be so expensive that it is not worth it unless it is factory fitted.
Exactly! You also need a switch and some sort of control module and re-programming the car computer because now the car needs to recognize which key fob sending the signal.

I could see them adding the LED front grille like the 2016 Mazda6's have.

download.asp

I can also see them possibly adding the HEADS-UP display like the 3's and 6's.

I think that's what they'll do... just keep adding more options. Imagine they planned it this way from the beginning; easy to do and just enough to keep enticing people.

I found this quote from Biggers Mazda ;

“The interior of the Mazda CX-5 is projected to see a refresh, as well. It’s rumored to feature a more intuitive interface with a 7-inch touchscreen situated higher in the center console for improved visibility. Smartphone integration is expected to be standard, since this has become a high-demand feature on most new cars. The overall design of this interface should make interaction safer and reduce driver distraction.“

http://www.biggersmazda.com/models/2017-mazda-cx-5/

Also, found this review of the 2016 Mazda3 from The Car Connection;

“Mazda has also made big strides in the 3's infotainment offerings. Unlike the system in the larger Mazda 6 sedan and CX-5 crossover, with its laggy response, this system is quick with relatively easy-to-navigate menus that can be selected with the touch screen or with the rotary (iDrive-like) Command Controller.
The system's software can also be updated, meaning features can be added in the future without having to swap out physical hardware.“

http://www.thecarconnection.com/overview/mazda_mazda3_2016

Hope the 2017 CX-5 gets the software upgrade-ability(is that a word?!)

Last edited:

The interior of the Mazda CX-5 is projected to see a refresh, as well. Its rumored to feature a more intuitive interface with a 7-inch touchscreen situated higher in the center console for improved visibility.

Hopefully, that doesn't mean adding that hideous, afterthought-looking tablet-panel thing like the 3 and 6 have!

That info from that dealership is WAY OFF. They are talking about the 2016 Mazda CX-5. This statement:

"Industry experts believe the 2017 Mazda CX-5 should be powered by Mazda’s very capable 2.0L inline 4-cylinder engine, which can produce 155 hp and 150 lb-ft of torque. Other possibilities include the 2.5L I-4 engine as a potential upgrade for higher trims."

The above is outdated info. The 2.5 is already out and has been out for the 2016 and I believe the 2015. So their info on the infotainment system is also outdated.

Mazda updated the interior in the 2016 CX5 so they will not be updating doing major changes for a few years. Small minor upgrades but nothing big.

Last edited:
More than likely some standard equipment trickle down from GT to Touring to Sport... and maybe a new option or two that is available in markets outside the US for the GT.

The only changes that I can see for 2017 is the addition of PADDLE SHIFTERS, HEADS-UP DISPLAY, LED GRILLE since that is what the 3's and 6's have now. Mazda can easily incorporate those into the CX5.

The only one that I liked was the HEADS-UP display. It was a nice feature when I drove the 6. It's not a TRUE heads-up display like that on Corvettes which displays onto the windshield. I never figured out why Mazda didn't just have it display onto the windshield???

That info from that dealership is WAY OFF. They are talking about the 2016 Mazda CX-5. This statement:

"Industry experts believe the 2017 Mazda CX-5 should be powered by Mazdas very capable 2.0L inline 4-cylinder engine, which can produce 155 hp and 150 lb-ft of torque. Other possibilities include the 2.5L I-4 engine as a potential upgrade for higher trims."

The above is outdated info. The 2.5 is already out and has been out for the 2016 and I believe the 2015. So their info on the infotainment system is also outdated.

Mazda updated the interior in the 2016 CX5 so they will not be updating doing major changes for a few years. Small minor upgrades but nothing big.

Thanks for posting MN-CX5. That is interesting, guess we'll have to wait & see. I'm also holding out for the next incarnation to include HUD & similar display to the new Mazda6 /3/CX-3.

The only changes that I can see for 2017 is the addition of PADDLE SHIFTERS, HEADS-UP DISPLAY, LED GRILLE since that is what the 3's and 6's have now. Mazda can easily incorporate those into the CX5.

The only one that I liked was the HEADS-UP display. It was a nice feature when I drove the 6. It's not a TRUE heads-up display like that on Corvettes which displays onto the windshield. I never figured out why Mazda didn't just have it display onto the windshield???

Yeah I like the HUD aswell & waiting for it on the CX-5. Even though some of the more expensive cars already do it on the windshield, Mazda's version would still be a "nice" addon to have. Something "extra".

Is it definate then that the 2017 CX-5 will *NOT* be a fully redesigned, 2nd generation vehicle?

How long do Mazda model generations usually run before a redesign?

Is it definate then that the 2017 CX-5 will *NOT* be a fully redesigned, 2nd generation vehicle?

How long do Mazda model generations usually run before a redesign?

Not happening. Mazda just redesigned it so no major redesigns for at least another 3 years.

Back