Transmission Cooler - Anyone installed one?

It's not uncommon on the CX-7 to add one, there are a number of users that have. I don't understand the need for a snarky reply - my question was if anyone had.

The CX-7 and CX-5 are different cars. I'm always intrigued by posts like this, I had hoped you would backup your claim with facts. But it sounds like you are interested in adding one because someone on the internet did it on their car??

I've just installed the "Engine Link" OBDII with a LELink adapter. There's no native PID for transmission temps, but I'm searching for one. I'm curious about the average temps myself.

...sent...

I installed a B&M cooler on my Mazda6 (2007) never had any of the issues that others had.
I spoke with the ASM at my dealer and he thought that the cooler on the CX5 is a "Great Idea" for towing. He also thought that Amsoil in the tranny is a "Great Idea"

The CX-7 and CX-5 are different cars. I'm always intrigued by posts like this, I had hoped you would backup your claim with facts. But it sounds like you are interested in adding one because someone on the internet did it on their car??

I didn't make any claims. I asked a question, had anyone installed one?

I know that the Cx-7 and Cx-5 are different vehicles. I asked because I have a concern for my vehicle's longevity and the longevity of my transmission. We may be moving to southern colorado where there are plenty of mountains and temps swings that are really large. It gets hot in the summer and fairly cold in the winter. I am concerned with hauling things to a mountain cabin during the summer heat, up and down steep terrain.

I asked because people here have knowledge I don't. I make no claims to knowing if it is needed. All I stated is that people have done it to the CX-7, mazda5, and Dmac43 to their Mazda6. It is not an uncommon thing to add to a vehicle and many people have.

The goal of my post was to see if anyone had, nothing more. The first reply I got was "did you find something the engineers didn't think of" to which I wrote the reply above. The engineers didn't think of it with the CX-7, or the mazda5, or the mazda6 - I realize that engineers know what they are doing, they also have cost and build constraints. They have to create a solid vehicle that will work in 95%+ of all situations, and they clearly have. It's the 5% that I'm concerned about, and I don't see the harm in asking a simple question. If you have a problem with the post, why even bother replying?

I've just installed the "Engine Link" OBDII with a LELink adapter. There's no native PID for transmission temps, but I'm searching for one. I'm curious about the average temps myself.

...sent...

I've looked with every OBD app I have and nothing.... Scangauge link above looks most promising.

I saw some guys were able to come up with one for toyota trucks, I was thinking of giving that a go if I can figure out how to re-create it in the app I have. If I'm able to make it work I'll post up the results.

As has been written in this thread, the transmission is preheated and cooled by a heat exchanger in the engine coolant. I pull a trailer a lot during the summer. I installed a ScanGauge and set it to show engine coolant temperature. My thinking is that I can monitor it and if I see any rise above the thermostat regulated temperature i can alter my driving. (slow down, Slow down on hills, even stop and let the engine idle for a while if needed.) The car seems to keep it's cool under all conditions. The trailer is about 900 lbs.

Does your ScanGauge show the transmission temp? How far from engine temp does it vary?

I really don't think transmission temps are an issue for this vehicle. It has a lot less friction going on, and the tq converter is the major source of heat in most slush-boxes, which Mazda has minimized greatly. I think they knew what they were doing on this one and would let it alone. Just my 2c

Hey, when snarky is called for, snark is good! Sometimes I think we live in a world where too many people are afraid to speak up and be critical of ideas that are forwarded without any supporting evidence, without anything to back them up.

As to a CX-5 oil cooler, I haven't seen any evidence that the transmission fluid gets too hot. This is not your grandfather's Chevy. It's a good idea to monitor the temperatures first because cooler is not always better.

I agree. What evidence is there to support the need? Even grandpa necessitated supplemental cooling, because he was hauling a trailer or using it for heavy duty.

Not many CX-5s are seeing heavy duty use, nor do they typically pull trailers...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I disagree. Using the 'if there was a better way, the engineers would of designed it so' line is not snark, it's just being a pompous ass. Engineers design things for certain parameters and if someone thinks they are going to be outside those parameters, of course they are going to be curious as how to modify an item to handle the extra stress. No one asked what conditions OP was going to be in and why exactly he felt he needed a cooler. If he does burn up a tranny because of a lack of a cooler, is snarky comments going to pay for his new one? If OP were to get a nickel with every 'the engineers didn't design it to do that', he could probably buy two.

Yes, people are correct in that monitoring is the first step of possible trans cooling. I know nothing of the layout of the transmission lines to even know if you can tap into them for cooling as well as giving the system the correct readings. There would have to be some sort of automatic valve for winter use. A lot of times with modern car mods there is the 'return on investment' question; you could do the modification, but is the time and money spent, could you just as well gone out and purchased the correct vehicle to do the job you want your present car to do?

I'm too new here to break out my snark cannon and as active as I've seen these CX-5 forums, snark use should be used sparingly.

I know nothing of the layout of the transmission lines to even know if you can tap into them for cooling as well as giving the system the correct readings. There would have to be some sort of automatic valve for winter use.

All CX-5's with the AT-6 come with a transmission cooler. Mazda engineers are a little ahead of the game.

I hope that didn't come across as too 'snarky' for your taste.

Wikipedia Mike! I get the feeling the Wolfman spends a lot of time doing research before he replies with what's usually spot on. I'm sure he's already read this thread because he spends a lot of time on the CX5 forum.

Wikipedia Mike! I get the feeling the Wolfman spends a lot of time doing research before he replies with what's usually spot on. I'm sure he's already read this thread because he spends a lot of time on the CX5 forum.

Sorry, don't know who you're referring to (Wolfman?). I was responding to Brucifer?

All CX-5's with the AT-6 come with a transmission cooler. Mazda engineers are a little ahead of the game.

I hope that didn't come across as too 'snarky' for your taste.

As long as it falls within the levels specified by Mazda Engineers. From what I can gather from other threads, this is your forum anyways. Unless others are just mocking your standard response to everything.

Not to resurrect an old thread but I used an OBD reader connected to the Torque app and was able to monitor my transmission temperature on my 2013 cx-5. I did this because my tranny began whining and and I had sudden decrease in MPGs. Ultimately, Mazda replaced the transmission at 32k miles. It doesn't currently have a hitch and I have never towed anything with it. Now I am moving cross country, and would like to pull a small trailer, and needless to say, I do not trust this transmission. Maybe it was a fluke.

As long as it falls within the levels specified by Mazda Engineers. From what I can gather from other threads, this is your forum anyways. Unless others are just mocking your standard response to everything.

He is correct about the cooler; however its not like the cooler you find on towing trucks. Its a small ass cylinder heat exchanger that runs engine coolant throught it if I read the diagram correctly. If I am mistaken, then it doesn't even do that and its just a small heat exchanger. Its probably a little bigger than the oil filter tbh.

Back