2013~2016 CX-5 Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: Tools, Parts and Links

Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: tools parts and links

$39 shipped for 1 qt. Ouch.
You need more than 1 quart gear lubricant to replace both front transfer case and rear differential. The manual says both front and rear need 0.48 quarts, but in reality the rear needs about ⅔ quarts!

Mine is same as 2013. Correct. I needed more than one quart to change both. Front was seemingly spot on... rear needed more than half quart. Unfortunately I didn't measure. I don't think 3/4 quart but it seemed around or shy of 2/3 quart was what it took.

EDIT: Vehicle was cold and level.

And you can order some oil chang kits and engine / cabin air filters to make the order amount over $100 to waive the expensive shipping at our sponsor Med Center. Or you can try Amazon as the OP CX5-SO suggested:

I have coming from Amazon

OEM Tools 22297 23mm Metric Socket (THIS IS A VERY SHALLOW SOCKET)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

OEM Tools 22298 24mm Metric Socket (THIS IS A VERY SHALLOW SOCKET)

Genuine Mazda Fluid (0000-77-80W9-QT) SAE 80W-90 Rear Differential Oil - 1 Quart

I have coming from arlingtonmazda.com

DRAIN PLUG WASHER (ISH9956-41-800)
http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/DRAIN-PLUG-WASHER-%28ISH9956%252d41%252d800%29.html

Thanks go out for the member that gave the plug head sizes!

EDIT: 07-11-2016
MAZDA HAS CHANGED THE SPEC ON THESE FLUIDS FOR LATER YEAR MODELS. CHECK YOU OWN OWNER MANUAL FOR THE RECOMMENDED LUBE FOR YOUR CX-5.

EXAMPLE DIFF. BETWEEN 2013 AND 2016 YMs

lubes10.jpg

Can 75w90 full synthetic be used?

Mobil and valine seem to be common at stores

In 2016 and newer CX-5s Mazda specifies Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1. In previous model years Mazda specifies 80w-90. So you'd be safe using 75w-90 in previous model years.

In 2016 and newer CX-5s Mazda specifies Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1. In previous model years Mazda specifies 80w-90. So you'd be safe using 75w-90 in previous model years.
If I had a 2014 CX-5 AWD, I'd go ahead to use Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 as our i-Activ AWD hardwares between pre-2016 and 2016's are all the same. I believe Mazda did some enhancement on gear lubricant and SG1 is the result been used in 2016 AWD. At least I'd get Genuine Mazda SAE 80W-90 gear lubricant (0000-77-80W9-QT) from Amazon like the OP did if you have trouble to find a proper gear lub locally.

If I had a 2014 CX-5 AWD, I'd go ahead to use Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 as our i-Activ AWD hardwares between pre-2016 and 2016's are all the same. I believe Mazda did some enhancement on gear lubricant and SG1 is the result been used in 2016 AWD. At least I'd get Genuine Mazda SAE 80W-90 gear lubricant (0000-77-80W9-QT) from Amazon like the OP did if you have trouble to find a proper gear lub locally.

$9 and change at my local dealer for the mazda 80w-90, not bad. I'll have to go back for the washers though, dammit.
Thanks for the advise.

$9 and change at my local dealer for the mazda 80w-90, not bad. I'll have to go back for the washers though, dammit.
Thanks for the advise.
That's great price from your dealer as Amazon sells for $11.75 per quart! You need more than 1 quart gear lub for front and rear, and 4 aluminum washers.

Is the washer M18? I'd like to get it anywhere but dealer.

good video for the front transfer case for those who are up in miles and need to do......

just my 2 cents.... I think @ 40,000 miles or even 35,000 miles it should be done....

rear diff should be very similar but don't need ramps and no plastic panels to take off,

there's enough clearance to do the rear on a flat surface..... front will need ramps like in video..

I wonder if the rear clearance for 2017's is the same..... when I saw the 2017 in person it seemed lowered,

maybe someone with a 2017 AWD can confirm: park at a flat surface and from the rear

see if you can reach the rear diff without ramps....

Last edited:
Thank-you for this thread OP. I'm coming up on 30K in the next few months and have added this to the list along with an ATF drain/flush and brake fluid exchange. Incidentally MazdaStuff.com have the SG1 Gear Oil (0000-77-SG1-QT) for $21.56/Qt and the ATF Fluid (0000-FZ-113E-01) for $10.72/Qt.

Changed mine at 42K. The oil was fine in each case and did not smell bad. I changed it anyway, but I'd not worry about it below 80-100K miles frankly.

Stupid question: Does the FWD version have a front transfer case?

Also a related note, the 2017 no longer has any mileage limit for the rear differential oil. This is of course with the long life SG1 oil. Prior to '17, it said to change it "30,000 miles if operated primarily under any of the following conditions:
a) Towing a trailer or using a car-top carrier
b) Driving in dusty, sandy or wet conditions
c) Extended periods of idling or low speed operation
d) Repeated short trips of less than 16 km (10 miles)" OR if it was submerged under water.

Now it just says to change if it was submerged under water.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Maz 1.PNG
    Maz 1.PNG
    1.8 KB · Views: 2,035
  • Maz 2.PNG
    Maz 2.PNG
    4.2 KB · Views: 2,047

Changed mine at 42K. The oil was fine in each case and did not smell bad. I changed it anyway, but I'd not worry about it below 80-100K miles frankly.
Did you have a chance to measure the gear lub level in rear differential from factory?

Stupid question: Does the FWD version have a front transfer case?

Also a related note, the 2017 no longer has any mileage limit for the rear differential oil. This is of course with the long life SG1 oil. Prior to '17, it said to change it "30,000 miles if operated primarily under any of the following conditions:
a) Towing a trailer or using a car-top carrier
b) Driving in dusty, sandy or wet conditions
c) Extended periods of idling or low speed operation
d) Repeated short trips of less than 16 km (10 miles)" OR if it was submerged under water.

Now it just says to change if it was submerged under water.
attachment.php

attachment.php
FWD CX-5 doesn't have front transfer case. Mazda specifies SG1 for 2016(.5) CX-5 but the change intervals on front transfer case and rear differential are still the same as 2015 and prior CX-5.

Thank-you for this thread OP. I'm coming up on 30K in the next few months and have added this to the list along with an ATF drain/flush and brake fluid exchange. Incidentally MazdaStuff.com have the SG1 Gear Oil (0000-77-SG1-QT) for $21.56/Qt and the ATF Fluid (0000-FZ-113E-01) for $10.72/Qt.
Thanks for the info on online source of getting these pretty expensive OEM fluids. :)

just FYI, I confirmed with dealer, the aluminum washer for the front PTU and rear differential plugs is P/N 99564-1800 (18mm inner diameter)

not to be confused with the smaller aluminum washers for the engine oil and transmission oil plugs P/N 99564-1400 (14mm inner diameter)

just FYI, I confirmed with dealer, the aluminum washer for the front PTU and rear differential plugs is P/N 99564-1800 (18mm inner diameter)

not to be confused with the smaller aluminum washers for the engine oil and transmission oil plugs P/N 99564-1400 (14mm inner diameter)

Thanks for the info even with a true diameter measurement showed! :) Are you planning to do the gear lub change soon? If you do, please pay attention to the factory-filled fluid levels on both and see if the rear differential level is low like some people had found.

OP has listed correct part number for these aluminum washers but in different format which may be confusing. The link is dead because the Arlington Mazda Parts Store he referred is no longer available.

I have coming from arlingtonmazda.com

DRAIN PLUG WASHER (ISH9956-41-800)
http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/DRAIN-PLUG-WASHER-%28ISH9956%252d41%252d800%29.html

I was really surprised today at how under-filled my diff and transfer case were from the factory. I replaced both fluids at 39k km with Red Line 75w90 synthetic hypoid oil. The factory fluid was clear, nothing like in my Tahoe... Magnetic drain plugs were quite loaded though. Watch these when you do your own fluid change. Many mechanics at any shop would at best just wipe them clean. That's not enough, as the magnet sticks out of the base of a plug and has to be cleaned thoroughly with brake cleaner.

My wife's 2014 cx-5 awd has about 32k miles now so it's probably due for this. Just to get this straight, is there a front differential in the awd cx-5? I keep seeing people writing front transfer case. Isn't there only 1 transfer case? So my question is there is a transfer case, rear differential, but is there a front differential? Need to know how many washers I need to get.

ATF probably on my radar for later on. I'll probably do that. I've done differentials in the past but it's a messy and stinky job so doubt I am doing it for the cx (maybe my own car LOL). When do you guys change the brake fluids?

My wife's 2014 cx-5 awd has about 32k miles now so it's probably due for this. Just to get this straight, is there a front differential in the awd cx-5? I keep seeing people writing front transfer case. Isn't there only 1 transfer case? So my question is there is a transfer case, rear differential, but is there a front differential? Need to know how many washers I need to get.

ATF probably on my radar for later on. I'll probably do that. I've done differentials in the past but it's a messy and stinky job so doubt I am doing it for the cx (maybe my own car LOL). When do you guys change the brake fluids?

There IS a front differential; it's in the transmission. There is a front transfer case, on the rear of the transmission. Change all of the lubes all at once. The ATF is type FZ and not easy to find. Check Amazon.

Back