Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: tools parts and links

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    I changed mine after vehicle sat in the garage overnight.
    NB1 Navigation Updates (985 NEW-2/2017) / Why Mazda moly oil? - Mazda TSBs / My Misc add-ons / Mazda owners manuals / SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

==================
    Current Vehicles:

'15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package & i-ACTIV AWD - Liquid Silver Metallic (04/2014 build-07/2014 delivery) - 34.5K Miles
    '12 Lexus GX 460 Premium (Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 150) / Torsen with ATRAC AWD
    '07 Infiniti G35x w/tech (Nissan Skyline V36) / ATTESA E-TS AWD
    '00 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L TJ - 5 speed / NP231 PT Transfer Case
    ==================
    Former Vehicles:

'02 Nissan Maxima GLE (Nissan Cefiro)
    '96 Ford Explorer 5.0L / AWD - Borg Warner 4404 viscous coupling
    '96 Mazda Protege LX (Mazda Familia (BH))
    '87 Nissan Maxima SE (Nissan Bluebird U11)
    '84 Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo (2-stroke motor would probably use less oil/150 miles per quart)
    '82 Buick Skylark (JUNK)

I changed the front and rear differentials AWD (6,500 miles)

The rear differential was tightened by some gorilla because it was tough to break the plugs. Finally did it and drained it. There was about 1/4 inch of metal shavings on the magnet and the fluid was nasty. When clutch plates break-in, they release tons of debris before they get their mating and wear in pattern. I'm glad I changed the fluid.

The front differential was a lot easier to remove the plugs BUT the drain plug didn't tighten down with the torque wrench properly and left me uneasy. I think they over tightened it at the factory or the threads were not properly cut at the factory. So I put down about 2 wraps of TEFLON TAPE on the bottom drain plug. I hand tightened it with a 3/8" drive until it felt tight and took it for a spin. No drips, no leaks. The front differential drain plug faces straight down.

The rear plugs were torqued to 30ftlbs and the fronts were tightened with a 3/8" drive to snug.

Here if the fluid at 6,500 miles:

This is what the new fluid looks like:

Last edited by Lbear; 05-21-2016 at 03:59 AM.

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    i feel lot better about having changed mine too. I plan to change AT fluid before 30K miles... still need to order that fluid and find a weekend with some time.

EDIT: I am glad this entire driveline is fairly easy to maintain. I cringe at what the '07-'15 AWD CX-9 owners have to go through to maintain the "lifetime" fluid in their transfer case.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    i feel lot better about having changed mine too. I plan to change AT fluid before 30K miles... still need to order that fluid and find a weekend with some time.

EDIT: I am glad this entire driveline is fairly easy to maintain. I cringe at what the '07-'15 AWD CX-9 owners have to go through to maintain the "lifetime" fluid in their transfer case.
    I might do the transmission a little earlier than that. Maybe around 15k miles. There is usually a lot of break-in clutch material on new transmissions, just like differentials.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: tools parts and links

Quote Originally Posted by CX5-SO View Post
    Genuine Mazda Fluid (0000-77-80W9-QT) SAE 80W-90 Rear Differential Oil - 1 Quart
    http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mazda-...s=mazda+80w-90
    According to owner's manual, both front transfer case and rear differential use Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1, part no. 0000-77-SG1-QT, with list price $29.95 per quart:

OP used different Mazda gear lubricant, Mazda Premium Rear Axle Lubricant SAE 80W-90, part no. 0000-77-80W9-QT, with much lower price:

I think I'd use Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 when the time comes.

2013 CX-5 Touring AWD A-T

As stated in manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by CX5-SO View Post
    As stated in manuals.

Thanks for the clarification. So Mazda changed recommended gear lubricant for its AWD system although the system is the same through all model years. Since Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 recommended now is almost 3 times more expensive than Mazda Premium Rear Axle Lubricant SAE 80W-90, I'd say something must be added to it for better performance or longivaty to Mazda's AWD system. It only takes a quart for the change, I'd definitely go with new and more expensive Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1. Wonder what gear lub did Lbear use for his 2016 CX-5?

OP, it'd be nice to add this spec change image in your original post to prevent the confusion on gear lubricant, as many members here will use your post for reference ordering tools and parts like I did. And again thanks for the very helpful info!

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    I used Amsoil in mine. No concern about lubricating qualities. Perhaps I will lose some .x on the MPG but not gonna sweat it. I've said this before but on rear diff... rear fluid was not at fill line on stock fill. I put in more fluid than what came out. A few others who changed said the same. FSM states to fill line for proper level.

EDIT: I plan to change every 20-25K miles so long life fluid does not really blend in with my maintenance schedule. Transfer case oil quantity was seemingly spot on though.
    Last edited by Kedis82ZE8; 07-11-2016 at 07:47 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

I used Amsoil in mine. No concern about lubricating qualities. Perhaps I will lose some .x on the MPG but not gonna sweat it. I've said this before but on rear diff... rear fluid was not at fill line on stock fill. I put in more fluid than what came out. A few others who changed said the same. FSM states to fill line for proper level.

EDIT: I plan to change every 20-25K miles so long life fluid does not really blend in with my maintenance schedule. Transfer case oil quantity was seemingly spot on though.
    For your 2015 CX-5 AWD, does the owner's manual specify gear lubricant for transfer case and rear differential the same as 2013's or 2016's? And are you saying the rear differential needs more than factory specified 0.48 US quarts to fill up to the filler hole? So one quart of gear lubricant may not be enough for the lub change for both?

CX5-SO, thanks for adding the specs!

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Mine is same as 2013. Correct. I needed more than one quart to change both. Front was seemingly spot on... rear needed more than half quart. Unfortunately I didn't measure. I don't think 3/4 quart but it seemed around or shy of 2/3 quart was what it took.

EDIT: Vehicle was cold and level.

Mine is same as 2013. Correct. I needed more than one quart to change both. Front was seemingly spot on... rear needed more than half quart. Unfortunately I didn't measure. I don't think 3/4 quart but it seemed around or shy of 2/3 quart was what it took.
    EDIT: Vehicle was cold and level.
    Very appreciated for your info! Otherwise for $30 a quart, I'd just get a bottle of Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 thinking it should be enough for 0.48 US quarts X 2 but ended up I've to get more during the change! Not good!

Registered Member

CX 5 Grand Touring / AWD Tech package

Any idea how much dealers charge for this service?

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $40
    CX-5 Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

I think I paid 80 with materials the first time I ever had it done

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD Soul Red

When changing the differential fluid... Do you just add/pump in the fluid until it leaks? Or is there a way to measure how much fluid should be added into the differential? Planning to do the differential fluid change soon.

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring titanium/black

Quote Originally Posted by runtohell121 View Post
    When changing the differential fluid... Do you just add/pump in the fluid until it leaks? Or is there a way to measure how much fluid should be added into the differential? Planning to do the differential fluid change soon.
    Just fill it till the oil starts dribbling out of the fill hole. Allow it to drip till it stops then put the filler plug in and away you go.

FYI, Mazdastuff.com has the SG1 for $21.56
    Last edited by Conrad 16.5; 12-27-2016 at 08:26 AM.
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast