2013~2016 CX-5 Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: Tools, Parts and Links

FYI: '13'-15 just calls for 80W-90 for rear diff & transfer which is a lot cheaper. I used a synthetic Amsoil and since I plan to change every 25-30K miles I don't think I would really get much benefit out of the SG1 in my '15.

Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: tools parts and links

FYI: '13'-15 just calls for 80W-90 for rear diff & transfer which is a lot cheaper. I used a synthetic Amsoil and since I plan to change every 25-30K miles I don't think I would really get much benefit out of the SG1 in my '15.
I have different view on this. Since new Mazda SG1 lubricant recommended now is almost 3 times more expensive than regular Mazda lubricant , I'd say something must be added to it for better performance or longivaty to Mazda's AWD system. The AWD system hardware basically is the same for all CX-5's since 2013 MY, I believe using SG1 should be beneficial to your 2015 AWD system.

I certainly can't dispute either way if it is better or worse. Unfortunately not a lot of info about this oil including the weight. I am comfortable with the protection my Amsoil is giving me.

I would be most concerned about those that haven't changed fluid since mine was apparently in an under-filled condition on rear diff and this area being prone to heat build-up I wouldn't want a low fluid condition for that matter alone. I remember a thread here somewhere where someone even overheated it playing in the snow.

EDIT: There is a heat sensor tied into the rear diff.

I like getting myself to a known state with fluids and levels.

Just fill it till the oil starts dribbling out of the fill hole. Allow it to drip till it stops then put the filler plug in and away you go.

FYI, Mazdastuff.com has the SG1 for $21.56

And how many bottles of diff fluid should I get? I only have 1 bottle of Mazda 80W-90 around at the moment since I've ordered it a while back but haven't done the service yet.

I would have two on hand... my front transfer was spot on but the rear diff took around 2/3 quart IIRC

I would have two on hand... my front transfer was spot on but the rear diff took around 2/3 quart IIRC

Should I be doing both at the same time or can I just do the rear and do the front later on? I have yet to change the differential fluid in the front or rear and my car is reaching 40k (yes I know I should have done it earlier...)

Should I be doing both at the same time or can I just do the rear and do the front later on? I have yet to change the differential fluid in the front or rear and my car is reaching 40k (yes I know I should have done it earlier...)

You should be fine..

Oddly, a few weeks ago I went to order the mazda 80w90 and it was out of stock and backordered. And had been for a minute. I wonder if they were doing some change to it considering it's not listed for the new cx5s

I ordered some of the Mazda SG1 oil specified for my CX-5 and I was just now reading the warning on the back of the bottle.

It seems that this oil contains Tricresyl phosphate and you shouldn't drink it. Good to know.

I didn't know what Tricresyl phosphate was so I looked it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricresyl_phosphate

Some type of friction modifier it seems. Nasty stuff.

I ordered some of the Mazda SG1 oil specified for my CX-5 and I was just now reading the warning on the back of the bottle.

It seems that this oil contains Tricresyl phosphate and you shouldn't drink it. Good to know.

I didn't know what Tricresyl phosphate was so I looked it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricresyl_phosphate

Some type of friction modifier it seems. Nasty stuff.
Like Mazda Moly 0W-20 oil, this expensive $29.95 per quart list Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 is made by Idemitsu. It's definitely different from much cheaper Mobil 1 gear lubricant.

f1044d6s-960.jpg

Like Mazda Moly 0W-20 oil, this expensive $29.95 per quart list Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 is made by Idemitsu. It's definitely different from much cheaper Mobil 1 gear lubricant.

f1044d6s-960.jpg

The bottle of SG1 that I have here is different than the above pic. It still says Idemitsu on it but it's all in English with a warning about Tricresyl phosphate and it's a quart.

Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1

The bottle of SG1 that I have here is different than the above pic. It still says Idemitsu on it but it's all in English with a warning about Tricresyl phosphate and it's a quart.
Yeah the back label of Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 I posted is the international 1 liter package. The warning message is different and is for EU market.

I finally crawled under my CX-5 and checked the rear differential fluid. I had to add ~4oz to bring it up to the correct level.

I finally crawled under my CX-5 and checked the rear differential fluid. I had to add ~4oz to bring it up to the correct level.
Not surprising as Kedis82ZE8 and several others had reported this earlier. This's exactly like engine oil capacity for 2.5L. Factory spec says 4.8 US quarts but then you found out even 5 quarts are not enough to reach the "Full" mark of the dipstick! Of course I was surprised to see all brand new CX-5's in dealer's lot were low on fluid levels including engine oil and coolant!

I'm not used to see a car manufacture providing incorrect fluid capacity in specifications. Not to mention Mazda seems low-balling all fluid level from factory may be trying to save some fluid cost???

BTW, where did you get Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1, and how much?

Not surprising as Kedis82ZE8 and several others had reported this earlier. This's exactly like engine oil capacity for 2.5L. Factory spec says 4.8 US quarts but then you found out even 5 quarts are not enough to reach the "Full" mark of the dipstick! Of course I was surprised to see all brand new CX-5's in dealer's lot were low on fluid levels including engine oil and coolant!

I'm not used to see a car manufacture providing incorrect fluid capacity in specifications. Not to mention Mazda seems low-balling all fluid level from factory may be trying to save some fluid cost???

BTW, where did you get Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1, and how much?

I wanted to support our site sponsor ($25.46), https://www.shopmazdaparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-lng-life-hyp-gear-oil-sg1-000077sg1qt

But this place had a better price ($21.56), https://www.mazdastuff.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=0000-77-SG1-QT

some very informative info in here, thanks. I have one question though. The manual says 80W-90 for my14, but can 80w-90 with lsd additive (friction modifiers) be used in the diffs, if that's all I can find?

some very informative info in here, thanks. I have one question though. The manual says 80W-90 for my14, but can 80w-90 with lsd additive (friction modifiers) be used in the diffs, if that's all I can find?
I wouldn't use 80W-90 gear lub with LSD additive as Mazda's front transfer case and rear differential are not LSD eqqiped although rear differential does have clutch pack. You can simply order proper gear lubricant online (see Conrad 16.5'd post above or the very first post), even the Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 should meet your requirement.

Latest posts

Back