full size spare??

alpahbg95

:
mazda3 s
So this is my first post and I have done my research. I am looking for a good place to find a 5 wheel for my 2011 mazda3 s hatchback. I bought it used with no spare, dumb i know, and i have been worried that i will be in a really bad situation with no spare. any ideas where i can get a wheel and tire for under 100$. it has the 17'' 10 spoke rim if that helps.

I also live in atlanta.

So confused...

You don't have a spare at all? You're really insistent on a full-size spare and won't settle for a compact?

rather go full size. just preference. don't have to go full size. and nope not even the original jack.

I test-fit a full-sized tire (unmounted) in the spare tire well of my 2013 Mazda 3 Sport (hatchback). It was a 205/55R16, and it fit (although just barely) in diameter, but was far too wide, so it stuck up above the top of the space significantly. I don't think anything wider than about a 155 mm section width would fit. It is very hard to find a normal (not "temporary use") tire that narrow and with sufficient load capacity.

• 155/60R15 is a stock size for the front of a Smart ForTwo (so they are available), it might fit especially on a 4.5" wide wheel (if you can find a 15x4.5 in the Mazda3 pattern), and it has almost enough load capacity to use on the rear (load index 74 in standard load: 827 lb @ 44 psi)
  • 155/70R15 would match the diameter of the stock tires better, but I doubt that this size exists
  • 175/65R15 is available, and is closer to the full size diameter, and it has enough load capacity to use on either front or rear (load index 84 in standard load: 1019 lb @ 51 psi)... but its width would not quite fit in the available height
  • ... and of course you can go all the way to the regular size which sticks up way too high

A spacer could be used to raise the cover for the spare tire well area, allowing for but then it would stick up above the height of the rear seats when they are folded.

For a really cheap wheel, I suppose a steel wheel from a salvage yard is the way to go. Here, I wouldn't expect to be able to buy a wheel and tire for $100, of any size or quality.

Back