Mazda Mobil start VS Viper smart start?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
I'm considering adding a remote start system to the car for the upcoming winter. Since I don't want to be carrying around a second key fob and the standard fob can't be reprogrammed to work with a basic remote starter I've starting looking at the mobile remote start systems that use a smartphone and app. The two that are in contention are the Mazda Mobile Start and the Viper Smartstart. Apparently the Viper system is coming out with an updated app soon. The MMS is about $450 where as the viper smart start module is about $150 but that doesn't include an actual remote starter so tack on about another $100 buck or so for that. I think it still comes out cheaper then the MMS system. On feature that I like with the viper system it that is says it will work with the iphone and siri. You can just tell Siri to start your can and she does! I don't know if the MMS system has that feature. It'd be nice to not half to always open the app. Does anyone have any experience with the viper smartstart system? How do you like it?

It'd be nice to not half to always open the app. Does anyone have any experience with the viper smartstart system? How do you like it?

I just have the regular fob (I have to push the button on the fob to unlock the car). However, I love the fact that if the fob is in my pocket I can just open the door, reach in and press the brake with one hand and push the Start button to start the car (no fumbling trying to get the key in the ignition and turning it at an awkward angle).

I imagine remote start would be even more convenient as long as any app that it required was easy to use. But all the high-tech security breaches out there are making me think maybe simpler is better.

Howdy Ride92,

I just got the MMS, and really like it, but I'd ordered my CX-5 with it installed in port.
I didn't want a separate Fob just for the Remote so having it on my Phone was perfect for
me.

Hopefully, AndyG will comment as he'd looked into the Viper and not sure how it turned out
but I think he finally went with the Compustar. Might Check in with him if he doesn't post on here.

Good Luck and let us know what you decided.

Apparently the Viper system is coming out with an updated app soon.

I'm wondering about the Viper system also. I found a promo for the new app on youtube:

I'd like to know if the performance of the app is really as fast as shown in the video or if it is just marketing bliss. I thought I read a comment from a user here saying that the Mazda app is slow to launch. Like minutes. If that's the case, I don't want it. But, if the Viper app is faster and with more options for wearables, I may go that route.

I'm wondering about the Viper system also. I found a promo for the new app on youtube:

I'd like to know if the performance of the app is really as fast as shown in the video or if it is just marketing bliss. I thought I read a comment from a user here saying that the Mazda app is slow to launch. Like minutes. If that's the case, I don't want it. But, if the Viper app is faster and with more options for wearables, I may go that route.

Howdy OM,

The MMS does take time, you have to open the app up with password, this takes one min or less,
then click on start function, wait one min or less, then click start button, then type in 4 digit pin,
then wait one min or less to load, engine starts.

The pin number and one min or less wait is required if you want to lock/unlock the doors,
turn the motor off, panic alarm, and car finder program.

I'm not sure if the Internet Connection and reception
is a factor on the timing issue.

Hope that helps a little, I'll bet as time goes on, they'll be more and better
app/programs come along.

With the MMS does the car turn off after you open the door? I hope not because that is annoying. The car should keep running as long as you have the FOB in your pocket.

With the MMS does the car turn off after you open the door? I hope not because that is annoying. The car should keep running as long as you have the FOB in your pocket.

Howdy Littlebear,

Sorry to say, yes it does shut off, and it also did on the 2 fob remote start
when I first started looking into that. I'm not sure about the aftermarket ones
like the Compustar and Viper, something to check into, but I'd have to say I'll bet they do.

I think it's considered a safety feature, I knew it going in, and wasn't
a deal breaker for me. I just like having the optional feature of being able
to start it, unlock it, find it, or set off the panic alarm/ or have an alert if the alarm goes
off.

I know we live in the era of high tech gadgets and there's always something new coming out. These new smartphone starter systems are interesting but they don't seem that "smart". I can see the headaches begin.

We use the standard FOB style OEM remote start system and it works fine. A simple 2-way push button takes 5 seconds to start the car. Yes you need another FOB, but the wife keeps that in her purse during the winter and pulls it out when needed. It's not like you have to use it every time you start the car. Yes the engine shuts down when the door is opened, but has turned into a non-issue.
Funny part, people complain that they need another FOB, but its ok to fumble around with your smartphone that is 10 times bigger than the FOB. The simple Fob would have the car running before you even open the app on the phone.

APPs will get better over time. I don't doubt if GoogleStore will come out with a better, faster and less expensive APP to run MSS. Code people can do amazing things.

Hello All:

I looked into the Viper SmartStart system for my 2016 CX5 GT, and even brought it to the Viper dealer for installation. At first, they said no problem, but after a week with the car, they determined they could not get the Viper system to work as they thought they could, it would not remote start. They even brought in Viper engineers but as of now (actually 2 weeks ago), Viper does NOT have a remote start solution for the 2016 CX5.

Ultimately, I researched the Compustar systems and brought the vehicle to a local Compustar dealer for installation. Compustar DOES have a solution for the 2016 CX-5. I left the car with them just before departing on a business trip, and the system was installed and working perfectly upon my return. Compustar has the Drone Mobile option, which is their smartphone app. It works via Verizon cellular and does pretty much everything the Viper one would have done. I also had the "EZ-Go" installed, which is a very small module you carry (attached to the key ring) and it unlocks the vehicle when you approach it (and relocks when you walk away). I am very satisfied with the Compustar. I did inquire with my dealer about MMS and they said they never did one before, and I didn't want to be their beta-tester. If anyone would like more detail, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Hello All:

I looked into the Viper SmartStart system for my 2016 CX5 GT, and even brought it to the Viper dealer for installation. At first, they said no problem, but after a week with the car, they determined they could not get the Viper system to work as they thought they could, it would not remote start. They even brought in Viper engineers but as of now (actually 2 weeks ago), Viper does NOT have a remote start solution for the 2016 CX5.

Ultimately, I researched the Compustar systems and brought the vehicle to a local Compustar dealer for installation. Compustar DOES have a solution for the 2016 CX-5. I left the car with them just before departing on a business trip, and the system was installed and working perfectly upon my return. Compustar has the Drone Mobile option, which is their smartphone app. It works via Verizon cellular and does pretty much everything the Viper one would have done. I also had the "EZ-Go" installed, which is a very small module you carry (attached to the key ring) and it unlocks the vehicle when you approach it (and relocks when you walk away). I am very satisfied with the Compustar. I did inquire with my dealer about MMS and they said they never did one before, and I didn't want to be their beta-tester. If anyone would like more detail, feel free to PM me.

Howdy Andy,

I was hoping you'd check in and fill folks in on how the Compustar is doing and about the Viper not being quite ready for
installation yet on the CX-5. Glad it's working great !!! If I hadn't gotten the MMS installed at Port I think this
would have been my choice as well.

Viper does NOT have a remote start solution for the 2016 CX5.

Companies like this make me sick, their website offers the 2016 CX-5 option as is they know it works. Apparently not.

I am very satisfied with the Compustar. If anyone would like more detail, feel free to PM me.

Oh, yes, several questions:

1) Can you let us know about how long it takes to launch the drone app and start the car?
2) Which phone OS are you using?
3) Is your login information saved or do you have to enter a password every time?
4) And does the car shut off when you open the door to get in?

Companies like this make me sick, their website offers the 2016 CX-5 option as is they know it works. Apparently not.

Oh, yes, several questions:

1) Can you let us know about how long it takes to launch the drone app and start the car? Drone app launches quickly, less than 10 seconds I would say, and anywhere from 5-30 seconds for the car to start once you hit the "start" command
2) Which phone OS are you using?Android (Samsung Galaxy S4
3) Is your login information saved or do you have to enter a password every time? Login information is saved; do not enter it each time. You do not have to enter a password every time if you don't want to; that is a user selectable option in the menu
Yes, it shuts off when you open the door. Installer told me no way around that

Last edited:

--Correct. I questioned that directly to Viper via their Twitter account once I saw the installer had major issues. I asked them why they listed my year and model on their website if it didn't work, and their answer was " well, it works as a security system, just not remote start" Seriously? How about saying that then???

Last edited:
Yes, it shuts off when you open the door. Installer told me no way around that
Just wondering why we want a remote start system then? Just for warming up the engine with the expense of shorting the starter's life as you have to start the engine twice each time you use it? I just can't see this is more convenient than Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry System other than you can make heater available sooner in the winter time. ;)

Just wondering why we want a remote start system then? Just for warming up the engine with the expense of shorting the starter's life as you have to start the engine twice each time you use it? I just can't see this is more convenient than Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry System other than you can make heater available sooner in the winter time. ;)

The remote start is for COOLING the vehicle off in summer and warming it up in winter. Nothing brings misery like sitting inside of a 160F vehicle (Arizona, Texas) after it's been sitting in the sun all day. On the other hand, getting inside a snow covered vehicle when it's 20F outside and waiting for it to melt the snow on the windows is also miserable. Hence the remote start.

As far as starters go. Most new cars are going to START/STOP which turns the car off each time you pull up to a stop light or if you are stuck in traffic. That function really wears out the starter since it will start/stop dozens of times each time you drive the car.

. Well to start with, I don't remote start the car every time I use it, just to cool it off on a hot day when it's been sitting in the sun or warm it up in the winter and melt the ice Off the glass. If those extra starts are going to burn out the starter I don't want the car. I've had remote starts in my last half dozen cars including Mazdas and including my wife's current 2015 CX9. None of them have ever needed a starter so it's not a concern

The remote start is for COOLING the vehicle off in summer and warming it up in winter. Nothing brings misery like sitting inside of a 160F vehicle (Arizona, Texas) after it's been sitting in the sun all day. On the other hand, getting inside a snow covered vehicle when it's 20F outside and waiting for it to melt the snow on the windows is also miserable. Hence the remote start.

As far as starters go. Most new cars are going to START/STOP which turns the car off each time you pull up to a stop light or if you are stuck in traffic. That function really wears out the starter since it will start/stop dozens of times each time you drive the car.
This is i-stop feature on Mazda but it's not available in the US. i-stop has a special way to re-start the engine, by stopping engine at specific position every time and re-starting the engine by injecting fuel with little or no help from starter - hence a very quick start with minimum burden to starter. Hybrid has engine to stop/start all the time but it uses drive motor turning the engine, not the traditional starter. There are very few gas/diesel engine cars have this stop/start feature in the US. I only saw a BME 535i once which has it but it's not as smooth and quick like Mazda's i-stop.

. Well to start with, I don't remote start the car every time I use it, just to cool it off on a hot day when it's been sitting in the sun or warm it up in the winter and melt the ice Off the glass. If those extra starts are going to burn out the starter I don't want the car. I've had remote starts in my last half dozen cars including Mazdas and including my wife's current 2015 CX9. None of them have ever needed a starter so it's not a concern
Since we keep cars for many years and my experience is the starter will go at certain point hence I have that concern. But can the APP of remote start control the HVAC (which I doubt it) or you have to preset the AC/heater/defroster in advance to prepare the next remote start? I imagine by using the Auto Mode would be the best with preset temperature. But what happen if your defroster was off but you need to start the engine remotely hoping the defroster is on to melt the ice in the cold winter morning?

Back