Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring Long-Term Verdict Review (Motor Trend)

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT

2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring Long-Term Verdict Review (Motor Trend)

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Touring 2016

Good review. I am a bit surprised they picked on the cloth seats. I currently don't own a CX-5 but have driven one as a rental a few times with the cloth seating. The seats seemed fine to me. I would also think, but don't know for sure, that the basic underlying foam materials that are used in the cloth seats would also be used in the leather seats so I am not sure the leather seats would be dramatically different as far as comfort goes.

2106 CX5 2.2D AWD MT 175PS, Tech pack, Sunroof, full LED

Have owned both, there is very little between the two. They are comfortable, their weakness for me is the lack of support. I prefer a sportier seat with tighter support around the lower back.

Registered Member
    Donated: $25

Mazda CX-5 2015 GT AWD

I was surprised to read that the suspension of the CX-5 was revamped for 2016. Does anyone know whether there are discernible differences?
    Cars I've owned:
    2015 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD 2.5 2010 Mazda 3 GT Hatch 2.5
    1995 Volvo 854 Turbo 1988 Mazda MX-6 GT Turbo
    1980 Audi 4000S 1976 Mazda RX4 rotary
    1974 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe 1973 Mazda RX3 rotary
    1970 Volvo 144S 1967 Rover 2000TC
    1962 Fiat 1200 Spyder 1958 Mercedes 190
    1958 Austin A55 1957 Sunbeam Rapier
    1951 Rover 75

Registered Member

2014 Mazda3

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebit View Post
    I was surprised to read that the suspension of the CX-5 was revamped for 2016. Does anyone know whether there are discernible differences?
    Mazda tweaked it for better ride and handling but I don't have the specifics on it. What I do know is that sound insulation was added in some areas to help with wind and road noise.

Suspension feels slightly better, it was already very good though. My diesel is quieter, engine, road and wind about 20% I would guess. Although tyres come into play, I now have 19" toyo proxies, I don't hear them as much as the 17" geolander or nokians I had. The 2.5l I tested was also very quiet, think Mazda done a good job in this area.
    Last edited by Dr_Watson; 08-07-2015 at 04:56 PM.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 2015 GT AWD

Noise reduction, yes - I read that before. But I hadn't heard about suspension tweaks.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Curious about changes... typically to the softer scale as model year/same generation progresses
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 50K Miles - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ (30% off "shipping" with code "MAZDAS247")

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring Long-Term Verdict Review (Motor Trend)

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebit View Post
    Noise reduction, yes - I read that before. But I hadn't heard about suspension tweaks.
    It was mentioned in 2016 Mazda CX-5 pricing announcement during the press release:

"IRVINE, Calif. (February 9, 2015) - Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today announced pricing for the refreshed 2016 Mazda CX-5 compact crossover SUV. The 2016 CX-5 is available in three trim levels – Sport, Touring and Grand Touring – in either front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive. While the exterior retains its distinctive SUV looks, updates to the grille and other design features further evolve with the latest expression of the Mazda brand.

Particular effort went into improving the interior quality of the ornamentation and materials used and also the functionality and usability of the cockpit zone, based on Mazda's unique Human-Machine Interface (HMI). Enhancements include updates to the front and rear seats and suspension system, as well as to sound insulation performance throughout the body, which results in greater ride comfort and cabin quietness. Mazda's renowned AWD system is also updated for 2016.
    "

Registered Member

CX5

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    Curious about changes... typically to the softer scale as model year/same generation progresses
    Manufacturer often tweak suspension for different countries/markets. The NZ/AU CX-5 facelift version got firmer suspension to make it sportier. It rides and handles almost the same as the Honda Accord Euro Tourer (Acura TSX Sport Wagon in the US) which is impressive for a tall riding vehicle. Sound like US version has gone firmer as well.

Kudos to Madza's engineering team in producing a car that can take on Audi's Q3 but a lower price point. Honda used to have some brilliant engineering too but that was 10 - 15 years ago.
    Last edited by limleong; 08-07-2015 at 10:20 PM.

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Watson View Post
    Suspension feels slightly better, it was already very good though.
    "Feels slightly better" is subjective and therefore nebulous.

Is it softer or firmer?

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Good review. I am a bit surprised they picked on the cloth seats. I currently don't own a CX-5 but have driven one as a rental a few times with the cloth seating. The seats seemed fine to me. I would also think, but don't know for sure, that the basic underlying foam materials that are used in the cloth seats would also be used in the leather seats so I am not sure the leather seats would be dramatically different as far as comfort goes.
    32K miles on my cloth seats. They look and feel new. I am pleased.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by littlebear View Post
    Mazda tweaked it for better ride and handling but I don't have the specifics on it. What I do know is that sound insulation was added in some areas to help with wind and road noise.
    It is tempting to throw some dynamat in my 2015, I've got to say. I think for a few hundred bucks I could change the entire "sound" of the ride.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Amazing how at NO point do they tell us what kind of MPG they get. All I see is "The EPA rates at...", lol. WTF?! A LTR with NO mileage reports (I clicked also on the Road Trip, and the Fill Ups section, linked at the bottom, as well. Would it have been another place besides those two, or the summary?)? Such fail, Motor Trend. Such fail. Considering its purpose, that is one of the most important things about the vehicle. It kindof caused me to discard the rest of the article as "out of touch".

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM. View Post
    "Feels slightly better" is subjective and therefore nebulous.

Is it softer or firmer?
    Main difference I feel is the car is more composed over rougher roads, certainly quieter, which again, is quite surprising since I moved to the larger wheel. This could suggest that the suspension is softer, I need to see if the body roll is more or less once I get a chance to push it a bit more.
    Last edited by Dr_Watson; 08-08-2015 at 03:28 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast