Cutting vents in hood?

BigBlueDart

:
2012 Mazda2 Touring MT
So, me being a tight-wad and all, I'm kind of looking for a look (with some functionality, too) of the Seibon VS hood, but without the price. Also, I don't need a carbon fiber hood, and actually think I would prefer it painted, anyway. I'm just wondering whether you guys think that our stock hood could have some vents cut into it and how that might affect rust issues, paint job, etc?

So, me being a tight-wad and all, I'm kind of looking for a look (with some functionality, too) of the Seibon VS hood, but without the price. Also, I don't need a carbon fiber hood, and actually think I would prefer it painted, anyway. I'm just wondering whether you guys think that our stock hood could have some vents cut into it and how that might affect rust issues, paint job, etc?

If you cut vents into the hood, you'd have to be sure to finish the edges well enough and also probably have the whole thing repainted. It might involve sheet metal bending. I'm not sure the cost of doing it yourself would be less than buying a prefabbed hood.

If you cut vents into the hood, you'd have to be sure to finish the edges well enough and also probably have the whole thing repainted. It might involve sheet metal bending. I'm not sure the cost of doing it yourself would be less than buying a prefabbed hood.

What I have in mind is to cut holes and then either find some inserts to go in them, or just use some mesh bonded to the underside, probably with something to cover the edges. That way I could use a little paint that doesn't necessarily have to match the rest of the hood just to keep the cuts from rusting. I certainly wouldn't bother with a full repainting. Here's a link of a guy that did something similar to his Honda S2000, but that was an aluminum hood:

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/324009-diy-vented-aluminum-hood/

So, I took the hood liner off to look at the underside of the hood and how the supports lined up. If I were to go ahead with this I would cut in one or two of the areas indicated (probably not all three) and then either buy or make a louvred insert or just put some black perforated aluminum sheet on the underside like the guy in the s2ki forum did. Thought I would throw the pics up here to see what you guys think.
IMG_20150813_172348.jpg
IMG_20150813_172720.jpg

I'll admit it. A big part of what has me considering this is looks. Actual benefit? Some reduction in engine bay temperatures, possibly for intake temperatures, too. The stock intake setup probably negates any benefit in this regard, as does the Corksport intake with the air duct. If I go with the DDMWorks intake, though (or Corksport w/out air duct) then this might make more of a difference. Boost is a possibility, but it would be a few years down the road for me. Maybe this would help if I go with a more aggressive tune at some point?

Anyway, you guys just might be right, and I'm not married to this idea. I might never do it at all, or at least wait until I've got a better reason to do it. Then again, I might do it next week, if for no other reason than it seems like a fun but relatively inexpensive project. Time will tell.

what are you gonna do when it rains?

Umm... turn on the windshield wipers?

Seriously, though, a little water isn't going to hurt our engine bay. Not that much would even get through if I install hood louvers. I've hosed down my engine bay before with absolutely no noticeable effect on functionality or performance.

How about some stickers with pictures of hood louvers? It'll give you the look you want, and it's much easier to reverse!

With cutting holes in the hood just for looks? Yes.

I know, I know. I was just kidding with you. I really do feel the same way, too. What I might end up doing some time (if I can get my hands on some pressure transducers and thermocouples) is take some measurements beneath and on top of the hood. I'd also like to try and get a read-out of inlet temperature for an SRI with no air duct. Should give me a better idea of whether any benefits could be found from some better airflow in the engine compartment.

It certainly wouldn't be a noticeable benefit, except for louder induction noise. Which gives me an idea...cut a hole and route the intake up through the hole past the hood. Guaranteed ambient intake temps! Add some LED's for visual effect. You might even gain a horsepower or so.

At nearly $1,000, not including shipping, you can see why I might want to look at alternatives.
Actually it's about $1000 with shipping (yen is low right now). But yes it's worth looking at JDM b/c of the exchange rate.

Back