2007-2014 Mazda CX-9 Recalled For Corrosion Problem

The lower control arms took about two hours according to the technician I talked to.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

I just had mine replace today. They even did an alignment, took about 2.5 hrs. If any of you get a chance take a look at the control arms. They have some sort of metal clip at the ball joint unlike the original ones. Even the ones that were replaced by my indy mechanic didn't look like that. They were more like the original ones that were in the car. I am guessing that since the clip is around the ball joint part it prevents the ball joint from separating from the arm.

An alignment would have been nice. I thought the dealership might offer a reduced rate but they didn't even try. Oh well, I am taking it to Firestone tomorrow for a lifetime alignment.

I just had mine replace today. They even did an alignment, took about 2.5 hrs. If any of you get a chance take a look at the control arms. They have some sort of metal clip at the ball joint unlike the original ones. Even the ones that were replaced by my indy mechanic didn't look like that. They were more like the original ones that were in the car. I am guessing that since the clip is around the ball joint part it prevents the ball joint from separating from the arm.

Same here--took the car in for inspection and it failed. They had the parts on site. They said the recall work included an alignment. Got a loaner and I am waiting for them to finish.

An alignment would have been nice. I thought the dealership might offer a reduced rate but they didn't even try. Oh well, I am taking it to Firestone tomorrow for a lifetime alignment.
Hmmm...I was told the alignment was included as part of the recall work. You should call them back, or call around to other dealers and see what they say.

JD what do you mean by lifetime alignment? do they do free alignments for the life of the car once you pay. How much is that alignment cost?

Firestone, used to have lifetime alignment deal...150 I think and as long as u own the car...free alignment

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JD what do you mean by lifetime alignment? do they do free alignments for the life of the car once you pay. How much is that alignment cost?
$200 for the life of the vehicle.

My wife received her 2nd letter last week...funny since she never received the first one.

Now she just needs to find time to schedule and get it done.

Scheduled it in for today. Brought my bike with me and told the service guy I'd ride my bike around in the city for 2-3 hours, unless he thought it would take longer than that.
"Oh it's gonna be way longer than that" he said. He gave me a loaner Mazda 6 with 400 miles on it, base model. P.S. I didn't like the 6 at all!
2.5 hours later he called and said it was ready. LOL. Only trouble is they didn't square the steering wheel. My term for that is the "sloppy alignment."
Good thing I'm putting new tires on within the next 3 weeks. Crooked steering wheels drive me nuts. I'll pay my trustworthy 3rd party shop for a full 4 wheel alignment with printout included once I get tires.

Last edited:
whoa, you just posted your name, address, phone numbers, and make/model & VIN number,

just a friendly recommendation: I would black that out quick, who knows what nut online will try to steal your ID.

My wife has an appointment today for this recall. I'll post back when I find out the outcome.

recall performed 1/30/16, excessive tire wear 3/11/16, wonder if Mazda dealer aligned

I am at the Mazda dealer to have them look at the car. The outer edges of both front tires are worn down to secondary rubber. Tires are less than one year old. AWD. Rears are pristine. I wonder if dealer was supposed to align during recall 8515G and failed to do so. There is no note on the service record re alignment.

Waiting room, expecting to hear some BS story.

Opinions?

I am at the Mazda dealer to have them look at the car. The outer edges of both front tires are worn down to secondary rubber. Tires are less than one year old. AWD. Rears are pristine. I wonder if dealer was supposed to align during recall 8515G and failed to do so. There is no note on the service record re alignment.

Waiting room, expecting to hear some BS story.

Opinions?

Yes, they must complete an alignment as part of the recall.

As for my wife, they completed the recall(I assume) yesterday without and hiccups....well, except for the fact that the transfer case needed to be replaced as well(not due to the recall).

OK, I also have to question the alignment. The invoice does not specify anything about an alignment. Can someone confirm that an alignment is necessary and should it appear on the invoice?

If you are changing control arms, I would think it would require an alignment or at least a check. Maybe they don't list it on the invoice and is included in the recall work, but I would expect an alignment report.

OK, I also have to question the alignment. The invoice does not specify anything about an alignment. Can someone confirm that an alignment is necessary and should it appear on the invoice?

If you are changing control arms, I would think it would require an alignment or at least a check. Maybe they don't list it on the invoice and is included in the recall work, but I would expect an alignment report.

Necessary or not, you should press them on it. If the recall states that the dealer perform it, you need to have the dealer clearly explain to you why they would not perform it. Unless they did a check and everything was within the proper tolerance, they should be doing it under the recall. Mazda reimburses them for the work, so there is no reason not to do it.

If they did alignment u should get the print out....no proof no alignment

So....guys who have completed recall service. ..who actually has alignment print out in hand?

So....guys who have completed recall service. ..who actually has alignment print out in hand?

"Technician found the front lower ball joints in the lower control arms
Replaced the front lower control arms, front sway links and performed alignment."

That's what my invoice says.

Back