2007-2014 Mazda CX-9 Recalled For Corrosion Problem

Tapping my fingers waiting for the second letter to come. My wife and kids are in the car every day.... Frustrating waiting since the problem has been known for so long.

what caused the tie rods to go bad?. I wounder if Mazda will consider them an unrelated issue if you were out of warranty already.

Don't know. We've only had the car for 4 months, and the play wasn't enough to fail the CPO inspection. 'Course, that may reflect on the quality of the inspection as much as anything........

Tapping my fingers waiting for the second letter to come. My wife and kids are in the car every day.... Frustrating waiting since the problem has been known for so long.

I agree with that. Here in the NE, I thought we were at the front of the line. If I don't hear by February 1, I'm calling.

so how many of you actually had LCA replaced without the letter? i just bought 2011 so i doubt i will receive letter any time soon. Oh...and who ever posted service receipt ....there is no way mechanic changed 2 LCAs and did alignment (???!!!) in less than 30 minutes ...no way

We just recently bought our 2012 GT and was shown the work order saying they inspected the LCAs and will replace them when parts are available. I figured it wouldn't have passed CPO inspection if any recalls were outstanding. I just registered on mymazda.com last week, so I'm curious to see if a letter arrives.

just enter your VIN number here and it'll tell you the exact recall status of your specific vehicle

Mazda official recall URL: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayRecallOwners.action

I just checked my VIN, it can back with this:

Recall Incomplete. Remedy Not Yet Available.
Dealers will inspect the lower control arm ball joints on both sides for looseness.
If necessary, they will replace the lower control arms.

Last edited:
just enter your VIN number here and it'll tell you the exact recall status of your specific vehicle

Mazda official recall URL: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...lOwners.action

I just checked my VIN, it can back with this:

Recall Incomplete. Remedy Not Yet Available.
Dealers will inspect the lower control arm ball joints on both sides for looseness.
If necessary, they will replace the lower control arms.

Right--you have to call to schedule an inspection. Sitting back and waiting for Mazda will get you nowhere.

I called Mazda USA 2nd time now and here is what I gathered from this. You have to go to the local dealership for inspection. If part failed, they will not release the car and will provide you with a loaner until fixed. If you pass the inspection than you are putting yourself "on the list" for repair once more parts become available and in that case you should wait for 2nd letter

I called Mazda USA 2nd time now and here is what I gathered from this. You have to go to the local dealership for inspection. If part failed, they will not release the car and will provide you with a loaner until fixed. If you pass the inspection than you are putting yourself "on the list" for repair once more parts become available and in that case you should wait for 2nd letter

I called the local dealership a few weeks ago to find out if they've started repairs on the recall and they asked me to come in for the inspection. Our CX-9 passed the inspection and was advised to wait for the 2nd letter from Mazda. I think that the vehicle IS placed "on the list" once it has been inspected. So, yes, it might be wise to have the inspection performed just for peace of mind and to have it recorded that the vehicle was inspected.

Yeh, stealership service and peace of mind just never goes along, quite a few people reported other issues after lca service....whenever underqulified technicians touch suspension, there is a chance for opening a big can of worms. Still researching decent local mazda service that I am willing to leave my car with

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have a CPO 2012 GT that I recently purchased. I went online to check to see if my car has had the recall replacement done. The site generated a weird error and recommended that I call Mazda directly. When I called Mazda, the representative confirmed that my car is a part of the recall but that it is in the Phase 2 group of the recall rollout, which has not begun yet.

However, she then asked me if I wanted her to go ahead and ship the parts to the local dealer of my choice to initiate the replacement process for my vehicle. I of course said yes and she said the dealer will contact me when the parts arrive to schedule the replacement.

Long story shortened, even though she said Phase 2 has not begun yet, it appears as though I will be getting my done and out of the way sooner than later.

Received my letter today stating the parts are now available.
CX9.jpg

Last edited:
You brought it in for initial inspection though right?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I did take it about three-four months after the first letter, while I was having some other service done (transfer case fluid exchange at Hamilton Mazda, Hamilton, NJ)

I'm going to my local dealership Thursday, hopefully I can get this taken care of.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

I had my wife's CX9 at the dealership to fix the drivers window and asked them to take a look at the front ball joints for the recall. They replaced them without any issues. The mechanic said that Mazda had stated previously that 2mm of play was within tolerance but they have changed their stance and will replace all the CX9 lower control arms with the revised ball joints to prevent future rust issues.

My wife's car drives like new again. There had been a slight clunk in the front end and I was actually planning on replacing the ball joints and struts but thanks to this thread I got it taken care of for free.

I had my wife's CX9 at the dealership to fix the drivers window and asked them to take a look at the front ball joints for the recall. They replaced them without any issues. The mechanic said that Mazda had stated previously that 2mm of play was within tolerance but they have changed their stance and will replace all the CX9 lower control arms with the revised ball joints to prevent future rust issues.

My wife's car drives like new again. There had been a slight clunk in the front end and I was actually planning on replacing the ball joints and struts but thanks to this thread I got it taken care of for free.

Nice! How long did it take? I haven't made an appointment yet.

Back