2007-2014 Mazda CX-9 Recalled For Corrosion Problem

Just FYI, no big deal, took only about 1 hour to do the recall,

I have a 2013 CX-9 model and my local Mazda dealer didn't hassle me to show the phase 2 or 3 letter,

I just made an earliest available morning appointment and they just did it with no issues

What dealer did you go to?

Just received my letter for our 2011 GT. It's the first letter, says another one will come as parts are available. Just purchased as a CPO, and dealer verbally confirmed they had looked at ball joints visually and they passed that inspection.

My wife has not received her's yet. 2009 CX9 in MN.

Does anyone know where they get the address from? It it from the DVS registration or somewhere else?

My wife has not received her's yet. 2009 CX9 in MN.

Does anyone know where they get the address from? It it from the DVS registration or somewhere else?

Did you register your car on line? There might be a recall notice tied to your VIN if you go on line.

Just FYI, no big deal, took only about 1 hour to do the recall,

I have a 2013 CX-9 model and my local Mazda dealer didn't hassle me to show the phase 2 or 3 letter,

I just made an earliest available morning appointment and they just did it with no issues

I spoke to this dealer - I think they only did the inspection for your car and did not change out any parts. They told me they do not have these recalled parts and would only order them if they determine during the inspection that signs of excessive wear are present.

I took mine in. It's ok. waiting for Phase 2 when parts are ready. While there I mentioned a hard shift into reverse. I guess there is A TSB Bulletin about a software update? I got that done and its smooth again

I took mine in. It's ok. waiting for Phase 2 when parts are ready. While there I mentioned a hard shift into reverse. I guess there is A TSB Bulletin about a software update? I got that done and its smooth again

yep mine too, I have a 2013, like your 2011, I feel a very noticeable thump like someone rear ending me,
much more noticeable if I'm parallel parking in the city and have to do multiple "D" and "R".

Also, seems to happen always when I'm on an incline, doesn't happen on level surface.
I make sure I hold the brakes for a good 5 seconds before shifting but still feel the thump / lurching.

I checked my CX9 for ball joint loosenes and they seem ok but there is a big difference in wiggling by hand vs thousands of pounds of force going around a curve at 45mph. Just sayin. I hate waiting.

I am at the Mazda dealer right now. I brought it in for an inspection, but one of the control arms failed the inspection so they are replacing them both. I was told Mazda will allow for a "toe adjustment" but not an alignment.

I'm surprised my 2010 has a corrosion issue; It has only experienced one Cleveland winter (2014-2015). Prior to that the car was in the Palm Springs, California area. I would have expected the issue on older CX9s exposed to more salt, etc..

Serious?? Replace lower control arms with no alignment? Raise your hand if you think that is crap! So i will have to come out of pocket for a safety recall... hmm

Serious?? Replace lower control arms with no alignment? Raise your hand if you think that is crap! So i will have to come out of pocket for a safety recall... hmm

I just called my regular mechanic who I trust very much, and he looked at the suspension diagram for my 2010 cx9 and said that replacing the control arms should not change camber or caster because of where the mount points were. He said the toe adjustment was OK.

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have a 2010 CX-9 with only 35,000 miles. We just had the front lower arms checked per the recall. They were found to be good until replacement parts are available. However, the tie rods had to be replaced for excessive wear. This problem needs to be on a recall also. Today it is at the dealership getting the fuel pump fixed. Luckily, the warranty is covering the cost.

Last edited:
Today it is at the dealership getting the fuel pump fixed.

Can I ask what dealership? I've had good experiences at Mazda of Bedford and Bass Mazda, but very poor experiences at Montrose Mazda - its really close and convenient, but I refused to go there.

It's at Montrose. This is the first time that we have had to use them. I hope they are able to fix it correctly. I will have to check out Bass Mazda.

I got the first recall letter, however, my car had a banging noise every time I turned left or right or going over bumps. Last week it got to the point where any slight turn left or right will randomly lock up the steering. I went to the dealer for a checkup and sure thing, it was so bad that refused to return my car unless both control arms were replaced. They did both arms in about an hour. No alignment needed. so far all good until the next recall. I have about 60k on my 2012 and I had the transfer case, rear differential seal, brake buster, bad fuel cap causing check engine, and now the control arms done. "All ford goodies" replaced. Lets see what goes next!

Had mine done today. We live in Ontario. 2011, around 80k km. Both lower arms done, 1.4 hours labour. Both front links replaced as well at no charge (although oddly, we had to pay for a couple of bolts). They also saw that the tie rod ends have too much play, and will be replaced under our extended warranty when parts come in. Just curious, anyone know what that would cost if we were paying for it?

what caused the tie rods to go bad?. I wounder if Mazda will consider them an unrelated issue if you were out of warranty already.

Steering problem after recall work done.

Recently had the Control arms replaced on my 2013 CX-9 GT by dealer under the Corrosion recall. On drive home from dealer, when I got up to Highway speed, I noticed a moderate to severe shake to steering wheel (left to right rotation). At slower speeds this stopped. I took it back to dealer and he confirmed problem and did a full alignment and balanced all tires. When this did not solve the shake, they rotated front to back and then even tried cross rotating. Nothing helped. The car drove perfectly before the recall work, so I had my doubts about a tire problem. Going back to dealer for third time in a few days. Has any one had a similar problem and what was the solution?

Last edited:
Back