2007-2014 Mazda CX-9 Recalled For Corrosion Problem

tex2670

Grand Poobah
Just saw this recall.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/new...corrosion-problem-over-193000-owners-affected

2007-2014 Mazda CX-9 Recalled For Corrosion Problem: Over 193,000 Owners Affected

By Richard Read

Mazda has issued a recall for nearly 200,000 Mazda CX-9 crossovers from the 2007 to 2014 model years. According to a bulletin from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, some of those vehicles could suffer from a suspension flaw, which could increase the likelihood of a crash.

The CX-9's problem is rooted in the front suspension ball joints, which may be susceptible to corrosion. Over time, that corrosion could cause the car's front lower control arms to separate from the joints, which would prevent drivers from being able to steer their vehicles properly. Depending on when and where that happens, it could dramatically increase the risk of an accident.

The recall is limited to 2007-2014 Mazda CX-9 vehicles manufactured between October 24, 2006 and December 28, 2013. Mazda says that 193,484 owners in the U.S. are affected.

Due to a shortage of parts, Mazda is rolling out this recall in three distinct phases.

1. Because the corrosion problem is worsened by de-icing salts used on roads during winter months, phase one of the recall will focus on older vehicles -- specifically, those from model years 2007, 2008, and 2009 -- that are registered in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, Washington D.C., West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

2. The second phase of the recall will focus on 2010-2014 CX-9 vehicles in the same northern states.

3. The third and final phase will cover 2007-2014 vehicles in all remaining states.

Mazda plans to mail interim notices to owners in early September 2015, explaining the recall process. When replacement parts become available, owners will receive a second notice, telling them when they can take their vehicles to a Mazda dealer for repairs. Those repairs will involve replacement of both the left and right lower control arms. The fix will be carried out at no charge to owners.

If you own one of these vehicles and have questions, you're encouraged to contact Mazda customer service at 800-222-5500 and ask about recall #8515G. If you prefer, you can also call NHTSA at 888-327-4236 and ask about safety campaign 15V451000.

Meh...

My biggest question is whether I can hold out until my struts are shot so that I can get a discount on replacing them while performing the recall repair on the ball joints.

Thanks for posting this, just got my CX-9 and I will keep an eye out for the recall letter.

The actual recall wording says dealers will inspect for looseness and replace if neccessary. To me this means they aren't gonna do anything but tell you to spend 1500.00 on new tail lamp fluid.

What if you replaced both control arms already? will mazda reimburse for the expense?

That's usually what happens with a recall if you have already performed the repair out of pocket. The recall notice should have information about submitting your receipts for reimbursement.

I figure it'll be a year before we see anything down here for this since we don't use a lot of salt on the roads. Sitting at 57k and all is tight and quiet up front so I don't imagine we will get a replacement out of Mazda.

Just FYI, no big deal, took only about 1 hour to do the recall,

I have a 2013 CX-9 model and my local Mazda dealer didn't hassle me to show the phase 2 or 3 letter,

I just made an earliest available morning appointment and they just did it with no issues

Last edited:

I have a 2013 CX-9 model and my local Mazda dealer didn't hassle me to show the phase 2 or 3 letter,

I just made an earliest available morning appointment and they just did it with no issues

You got your recall letter already? Wonder when I will get mine...

You got your recall letter already? Wonder when I will get mine...

Hi YCT,

I didn't get the letter, just went straight in and showed them the recall notice I downloaded from this forum and they agreed to do it. They didn't ask for phase 2 or 3 letter.

Hi YCT,

I didn't get the letter, just went straight in and showed them the recall notice I downloaded from this forum and they agreed to do it. They didn't ask for phase 2 or 3 letter.

Got it, thanks for the info.

Does it feel any different and did it affect your alignment / tracking? Thanks.

- ZoomFive

Does it feel any different and did it affect your alignment / tracking? Thanks.

- ZoomFive

Honestly, I don't feel any difference, suspension and alignment is still good and tight like the first day of new car.

Funny you asked about the alignment and tracking, I just got back from a very long road trip and was testing out the alignment, on highway straightaways I didn't even have to hold on to the steering wheel, the car basically tracked by itself in a straight line.

All my tires are wearing evenly (I have Continental CrossContact LX20 Eco Plus tires from Tirerack, they are so much better than the OEM Duelers, the Duelers are pure junk in snow and ice, I got rid of them after only 10k miles and one snow storm, they slipped and slid everywhere)

Also, I have an AWD, so I swapped out the transfer case oil after the long road trip just to be safe and protect the transfer case gears after running the oil for so long continuously, especially since there is so little oil capacity.

Last edited:
Does everyone get this recall letter? I haven't received anything yet and I have a 2007 model.

Mazda has been prioritizing older CX-9's in the Northeast US; Since you have a 2007 in NYC, you should have been one of the first notified. I move around a lot, so I always make sure my contact info is up to date on https://www.mymazda.com - pretty sure that is how they knew my current address. I do the same at http://owners.honda.com/ for my other car.

I would just call the dealer; they know about it, you don't need the letter.

Back