Premium gas

Always been Chevron for me.

I'll stick to 87 top tier gas

As will I...Always used Chevron 87. In Reno, There is ONLY 1 Pipeline bringing gas to ALL Brands...I believe that what distinguishes one from another are the additives that are used. never had a complaint with the Techron additive from Chevron and I rarely have to put any additional Techron (other than what comes in the gas) in.

In a pinch, I look for Shell which always has been good.

I did (mistakenly) put 91 in mine last week. My motorcycles all take 91, and I'd just gotten off my bike hopped in the car and needed to fill up. By instinct I hit 91 and didn't realize it until I was putting back the nozzle. No dyno runs or anything, but I couldn't tell the difference.

I did (mistakenly) put 91 in mine last week. My motorcycles all take 91, and I'd just gotten off my bike hopped in the car and needed to fill up. By instinct I hit 91 and didn't realize it until I was putting back the nozzle. No dyno runs or anything, but I couldn't tell the difference.

Yep. I put 92 in my CX-5 once by accident (didn't realize it until I looked at the receipt). No improvement in smoothness or butt dyno, MPG was perhaps a little lower (if any different at all).

Save your money, no benefit to higher octane in a US CX-5.

Mazda gets its HP numbers for the SkyActiv engines with 91 Octane fuel. The factory SAE numbers were achieved with 91 octane fuel/

Engine will NOT make more HP than the factory rated #'s but it will DEFINITELY make less HP with 87 octane fuel in hot weather. Engine will "detune" itself when it sense knock.

My Honda Civic will actually get a gas-cap idiot light when I once accidentally used premium. I don't think it damaged anything. It eventually went out after the next tank of regular. Long way of saying, No, I don't think it will improve anything.

Mazda gets its HP numbers for the SkyActiv engines with 91 Octane fuel. The factory SAE numbers were achieved with 91 octane fuel/

Engine will NOT make more HP than the factory rated #'s but it will DEFINITELY make less HP with 87 octane fuel in hot weather. Engine will "detune" itself when it sense knock.
Where do you see this? The sky active engine was specifically designed to work with 87 octane.

My Honda Civic will actually get a gas-cap idiot light when I once accidentally used premium. I don't think it damaged anything. It eventually went out after the next tank of regular. Long way of saying, No, I don't think it will improve anything.

The light has nothing to do with the fuel octane rating. The vehicle will trigger the light if it detects a vacuum. Your gas cap just wasn't shut tightly.

I also would like to see the link with data showing less HP, using 87 octane in hot weather. Ed

Hot air has less density and less oxygen than cool air so the engine will make less HP when it's hot regardless of what octane fuel is used. The ECU supplies fuel in direct proportion to the amount of oxygen in each cycle.

However, to claim that Skyactiv engines will knock in hot weather (until the ECU detunes the engine) is not supported by any evidence I've seen. Certainly, there is a knock sensor and the engine will protect itself if, for example, you put old fuel in that only has 83 octane. But the engine is designed to not knock when using 87 octane fuel, under typical hot summer weather so the ECU won't need to reduce timing advance or act any differently regardless of whether you fuel it with 87 or 92 octane.

Hot air has less density and less oxygen than cool air so the engine will make less HP when it's hot regardless of what octane fuel is used. The ECU supplies fuel in direct proportion to the amount of oxygen in each cycle.

However, to claim that Skyactiv engines will knock in hot weather (until the ECU detunes the engine) is not supported by any evidence I've seen. Certainly, there is a knock sensor and the engine will protect itself if, for example, you put old fuel in that only has 83 octane. But the engine is designed to not knock when using 87 octane fuel, under typical hot summer weather so the ECU won't need to reduce timing advance or act any differently regardless of whether you fuel it with 87 or 92 octane.

It occurs to me that SkyActiv engines are direct injection so the fuel isn't injected into the compression chamber until the piston is at the precise correct point for the RPM (piston speed) the engine is operating at to enable efficient combustion. In conventional engines the fuel is mixed with the air BEFORE compression even starts and that's when pre-ignition occurs: during the compression cycle.

Also, with a compression ratio of 13:1 I don't think they could retard timing enough to prevent knocking no matter what air temp if it was conventional injection.

I also remember someone posting dyno charts of an SA-G engine with a custom tune on premium vs. regular: it demonstrated solid gains across the torque band. But I wonder how real that was: the thing to always remember is that premium fuel has no more energy than regular, it just burns SLOWER to prevent pre-ignition which allows a high compression ratio. That's something SA-G already does, or should already do, with regular.

Back