Mazdas...err Toyota's...umm, Scion's Latest Model?

:
2018 CX-9AWD GT
I was recently reading up on the new Scion iA. It's a decent looking little runabout made by Toyota's "youth" oriented brand. When I saw pictures of the interior I was a bit shocked to see that someone had placed a Mazda on the inside? (hahaspit) Apparently Mazda makes the engine, transmission, created the styling...etc. Crazy...isn't Scion direct competition for Mazda? (screwy) I guess they got a really good deal...here's some photos.

This looks familiar...

hummm, so does this...

Looks like they pulled the interior straight out of the CX-3, instrument cluster, shifter, sport button, infotainment system, a/c vents, etc. I actually think the exterior looks more like a Mazda than a Scion. Fun, fun fun.

The Scion iA is actually the Mazda2. Since Mazda has decided not to sell the Mazda2 here in the states, Toyota/Scion is selling it here as a Scion. I believe they slapped a different front bumper on the car and replaced the badges... and that's about it. The sheetmetal, interior, drivetrain, etc are all Mazda2.

Scion does that sort of thing. Subaru makes one of the Scion models, Why not a Mazda made Scion as well?
I'm not a fan of the 'grumpy-mouth' grill.

Steal the FRS Chassis.
Make a few changes. Get back to 50/50 (the next point will likely accomplish that)
Throw a modern rotary engine in it.

Mazda would have a helluva coupe!

I doubt its coming any time soon, besides the MX-5 is practically here.

The rotary engine just can't get traction due to poor fuel economy and dirtier emissions, two benchmarks getting even more stringent.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/mazda-ceo-wankel-rotary-engine-wont-return

"In 2011, the RX-8's last full-year of sales in the United States, Mazda sold only 759 of the cars in its biggest market."

Toyota did the same thing with the Pontiac Vibe back in the day. Probably the most reliable pontiac ever made.

Scion's been struggling the last few years. Could be Toyota is just outsourcing the whole thing to save money while fulfilling contractual obligations. It wouldn't surprise me if the brand disappears eventually. It was created to appeal to young drivers in the mid-2000s who are now growing up and moving on.

Last edited:
Agreed. I owned a Scion tC in college. And while it was unique when it first came out, it didn't make me stay with the Toyota brand. That car rattled like mad, no matter what. It drove me bonkers. Gave me no issues otherwise. I traded in at 75k miles.

The Scion iA is actually the Mazda2. Since Mazda has decided not to sell the Mazda2 here in the states, Toyota/Scion is selling it here as a Scion. I believe they slapped a different front bumper on the car and replaced the badges... and that's about it. The sheetmetal, interior, drivetrain, etc are all Mazda2.
Humm, for everything I've read, the '16 Mazda 2 is being sold in the US. Where did you see otherwise?

front bumper looks bad compared to the mazda 2
Agreed, I'd argue that the front bumper/grill is the least attractive part of the car as a whole.

Agreed. I owned a Scion tC in college. And while it was unique when it first came out, it didn't make me stay with the Toyota brand. That car rattled like mad, no matter what. It drove me bonkers. Gave me no issues otherwise. I traded in at 75k miles.

I think this is what Scion are responding to, the young people who jumped on the brand and are now moving on to more "adult" vehicles. They introduced the iM as well, which although a bit "cartoony", is a step in a more serious direction than previous models.

There is a picture of one of these on the ultra racing fb page with their logos on it and a stb. Looks like they will be making parts for it.

Back