weird issue

joe944

porschefreak
Contributor
:
2002 mazda protege 5
My car on occasion will stop accelerating ON AN INCLINE-like it misfired or something. In the past I have slowed down, dropped a gear and the car will boost right back up again like nothing happened. Check engine light will flash, but I can unplug my battery cable and the light will go away until it happens again.

Doesn't happen every time I go up hill.

A few times though, over the last 6 months, I will actually have to pull over and shut the car off. Once I do, car will pull right up hill with no problems.

All new plugs and wires and have cleaned the plugs, although I am wondering if I am overtopping the oil a bit.

Also, I am wondering if this may be a gasoline problem.

Has only happened once on a downhill slope. Never a straight slope.

No, after however many years and however many miles, the plugs, coils or wires have had enough and are crying out to be replaced. So doing the math, 3-2=1. You say plugs and wires were replaced so that leaves coils.

And just FYI, unhooking the battery does absolutely NOTHING to fix any problem. Whoever told you that has scammed you!

Last edited:
coils have been replaced as well. not sure. it is definitely misfiring though. i knew it all along. should have taken my own advice before I blew up on the forum. thanks for your help. 236k miles and counting.

Do you have an android fon? If so, then you can get a bluetooth code reader and an app called torque and read codes yourself, then only the car can scam.

Reader - $6 App - $5

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

And do you know for sure what the mechanics say they replaced was actually replaced? That could be a scam as well...........

The misfire could also be sticking EGR or intake leak. Check the accordion section of the intake hose and make sure no cracks anywhere. EGR is a pain to get to but can be done with 1/4 drive ratchet, monkey hands & a good imagination to get the 2 bolts out without being able to see them. There are threads with pics of this on the forum.

Doesn't the EGR cause idle problems not acceleration misfires? I had this exact problem and new ignition coils and spark plug wires fixed it for me. If you read the code at Autozone/Advance, the code might tell you the cylinder bank that is causing the issue. Replace the ignition coil and spark plug wire for that bank.

same people that scammed me with the false codes

If the check engine light was lit, you have a code.

Aside from unplugging stuff on the engine, you cannot create false codes.

Coils should be replaced during a tune up on these engines, for some reason they fail somewhat frequently. Keep an extra with you, if you run with a bad coil, it'll fry your catalytic converters.

EGR problems can cause the P0300 as well.

flashing check engine light is bad it means parts in engine will fail soon and you shouldnt keep driving it. it sucks to hear but guys and gals on here have had bad coil packs right out of the box so one failing after a few thousand miles isnt unheard of. get the codes read and try replacing the pack on that side of the engine and see if that cures the issue.

Back