Front end noise on 2016 CX-5

Hello everyone,

My apologies in advance for the long read and I hope I'm posting this in the right sub-forum.

When starting up my CX-5 in the morning and as I drive away, I almost always hear an extremely faint click/clunk in front and sounds mostly coming from the driver's side. It doesn't make that noise if I stop and start moving again during short pauses but if the car sat all day or overnight, there's a likely chance the sound happens again.

Just a brief history, my CX-5 is quite new with barely 3K miles on it but it has spent nearly two weeks about a month ago back at the dealer as they tried to figure out a hard-launch clunk. They basically took the left front apart twice, replaced the strut only to find the noise source as towards the transmission which made them undo all the changes they've previosly done. Duh.

I'm just wondering if the noise I hear now is related to the above though I don't hear any suspension noises when driving. Again, the noise I mentioned first only happens during first drive in the morning or after sitting for a long time. Anyone hear similar noises or might know what causes it and if it's normal?

Sorry for such a long post and thanks in advance to everyone who throws their two cents in!

-N-

I used to experience roughly the same thing with my Maxima. If my car sat in the garage for a few days or if I washed it the day before and started to drive off the next day I would hear and feel a clunk. After that I didn't hear it again. It was almost like something was sticking and moving the car broke it free. I wrote it off to being something to do with the brakes. Since it happened infrequently and didn't do any harm I never followed-up on it. It may be related to the brakes like a sticky slider pin or something like that.
Since it's under warrantly have Mazda check the brakes.

I used to experience roughly the same thing with my Maxima....

This sounds like exactly what I am experiencing with my 2015 CX-5 Touring. I'm pretty sure it's the strut tower bearing that's gone bad. As it turns out, I also had a Maxima with the exact same problem, and it made the same noises in the same way.

I've done some checking and the problem is pretty common on CX-5's, common enough that the repair is covered by a TSB (TSB 02-003/15, from what I've been able to find out). This TSB ALSO covers the same problem in Mazda 6's, which apparently use the same suspension design/components.

Has anybody taken this problem to their dealer and gotten satisfactory repair? If you did, was the dealer problematic? Any advice would be useful.

Thanks very much in advance!

If it is only happening on initial drive-away it might be the ABS check valve. That was what it was in my '02 Maxima anyway. It was a normal sound in that car.

I'm getting the same thing now. . . http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123849985-2016-Constant-squeaking-brakes

Mine used to just do it first thing in the AM, and it was just while light breaking. But now, when I go through a drive through, or pull up next to someone in traffic, I can really hear the noise when my foot is off the brake, and I slowly roll forward. I also hear it all the time still while lightly braking at lower speeds.

I'm pretty sure I found my problem... the six bolts that attach the strut tower brace had loosened slightly. I tightened them up and no more noises!

There are six mounting bolts: three on each side. Two are easy to see, four more are hidden under the cowl grill (plastic). Easily removed with four clips and you'll see them.

Being that the looseness was at the top of the struts the sound was identical to the strut bushing, also at the top of the struts, when the bar slipped on a turn or a small bump. I'm glad I don't have to take the car back to get dealer repairs at least!

Hello,
My Mazda 6 2014 and others Mazda 6 skyactiv have the same noise you describe. Is only with the first or second drive that the noise appears in the drivers side. After the car "warms" the noise disappears.
After 2 visits at Mazda they changed the bushings of the lower control arms, but the noise is still there. Since then I have tried my self to find a solution. I changed the Strut, the strut bearing and i mounted the coil protector. The noise don't dissapear.
I have only a clue: if I remove the cowl panel the noise dissapears. It seems to be a noise created by the torsional movements of the body.

Last edited:
As one (or more) of our members has pointed out above, it probably is the ABS (sanity) check. The sound is predictable like clockwork and happens at the same exact speed each time. There are no other noises that come from the front. It just sounded strange hearing it as none of the other vehicles I've driven made such noises except for one back in 2005.

Thanks to all who threw their two cents in!

-N-

I'm pretty sure I found my problem... the six bolts that attach the strut tower brace had loosened slightly. I tightened them up and no more noises!

There are six mounting bolts: three on each side. Two are easy to see, four more are hidden under the cowl grill (plastic). Easily removed with four clips and you'll see them.

Being that the looseness was at the top of the struts the sound was identical to the strut bushing, also at the top of the struts, when the bar slipped on a turn or a small bump. I'm glad I don't have to take the car back to get dealer repairs at least!

I just registered on the site just to say a huge THANK YOU! I've been having the exact same issue with my 2014 CX-5 and this was the solution.

Thanks Again!

Our '10 CX-9, '16 CX-9, and '16 Mazda 6 all make (made, '10 is in the scrapyard now, RIP) a similar noise. Back out of the driveway, hit the brakes a a click or clunk noise sounds in the front. Put in drive, go forward and hit the brake and we have a second click/clunk. Then no further noises until the next time I back up. Problem? The brake pads are a little loose in the calipers, causing the pad to move upon application in a different direction than the last use, making an noise as it impacts the other side of the piston in the caliper. This does not harm the vehicle, however replacing the pads with a quality aftermarket set eliminated the noise for us.

2013 cx5 low speed front end noise

Hello everyone,

My apologies in advance for the long read and I hope I'm posting this in the right sub-forum.

When starting up my CX-5 in the morning and as I drive away, I almost always hear an extremely faint click/clunk in front and sounds mostly coming from the driver's side. It doesn't make that noise if I stop and start moving again during short pauses but if the car sat all day or overnight, there's a likely chance the sound happens again.

Just a brief history, my CX-5 is quite new with barely 3K miles on it but it has spent nearly two weeks about a month ago back at the dealer as they tried to figure out a hard-launch clunk. They basically took the left front apart twice, replaced the strut only to find the noise source as towards the transmission which made them undo all the changes they've previosly done. Duh.

I'm just wondering if the noise I hear now is related to the above though I don't hear any suspension noises when driving. Again, the noise I mentioned first only happens during first drive in the morning or after sitting for a long time. Anyone hear similar noises or might know what causes it and if it's normal?

Sorry for such a long post and thanks in advance to everyone who throws their two cents in!

-N-

After repacing Sway bar links (cheapest first option) I repaced both Lower control arms with new after market arms, Still had the noise.. Finally I replaced both front Strut mounts and bearings.. Noise completely gone..

Back