CX 5 2.2D Akera AWD nasty chirping noise from engine bay

Furbz

:
Mazda CX 5 2.2 DE Akera AT AWD
Good day All,

i have a CX 5 2.2D Akera AWD.
i love the car!

however it has a very nasty chirping noise that is coming from the engine bay.
the car has 3000km on the clock, and the chirping noise has been present since the car was new.

i'm going to try and explain things as best i can:

the noise only comes after around 30min of driving. (when the car is properly warm)
up until 30min the car sounds perfect.

the chirping noise is a very high pitched noise that given time is enough to give you a headache.
under acceleration the noise reduces drastically, and under hard acceleration its absent entirely.
however as soon as you back off the acceleration the noise appears and seems most prevalent.
stranger still, the sound is very noticeable inside the cabin when all the doors are closed. however, open a window and it becomes difficult to hear.
the chirping is also very difficult to hear when standing in front of the vehicle trying to locate in the engine compartment.

MAZDA Fury Fourways has been trying to fix this issue with no success...

the below is what they have tried:

after having the car for a few days they confirmed the existence of the chirping.
it took them a further few days using a special "listening tool" (not sure what they used)
but by the end of it they were 99% sure it was the high pressure fuel pump on the car (the diaphragm inside the fuel pump)
a replacement part was ordered and fitted. sadly this did not solve the issue...
in fact, the sound might actually be worse. (this the dealership agrees with and so do i)

the next step taken was to take the car up the road to a dealership that has 2 exact same vehicles in there stock.
a used demo vehicle, and a brand new vehicle.
i was not present for the testing, however, according to Mazda, both the New and the Demo vehicle also have the same issue.

now i am not knocking the Dealership. so far they have been very professional and have gone out of their way to assist.
however at this point they are unsure what further steps can be taken.
from my side the noise is unacceptable, unusual and most certainly not normal for any car to make.

Does anyone with a 2.2D model have experience with this or is having the same issue?
i'm now desperate!

many thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Hi Furbz,

Did they manage to fix the issue, is it possible to take a recording of the noise (video) and upload it on here?

I have a 2.2 SA-D. About 7 weeks old. No funny engine noise. Someone did report a high pitch noise in a recent post though it is a petrol engine.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...tle-quot-noise-after-car-is-driven-for-30-min

I am certain these are two different problems. The OP is describing this problem.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123840465-Pinging-noise-on-cx5-diesel

The noise has been reported in CH, UK, Iceland, SA, DE and recently Austria. There seems to be a fix by doing an injector calibration (which is done at each yearly service anyway). Hopefully in the near future this is clarified by those who have the issue and had it resolved.

Back