RDX vs CX-5?

ilreceiver

:
CX5
You guys have convinced me to look away from nx200t. Now, just as I was about to pull the trigger on CX-5, a friend has told me to look for last year's RDX.

What do you guys think between 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech (30k) and 2015 RDX base (34k).
Plus of CX-5: - more technology - LED lights, etc
Plus of RDX: - NVH: smoother, quieter ride
What do you guys think? How large a difference is there in terms of NVH?

My mother-in-law has an RDX, and while I can't really articulate the exact reasons, I don't like it. I feel cramped in the car, and it feels heavy when driving. I take the CX-5 over the RDX any day.

I looked at the RDX but I did not want a 6 cylinder engine. It is not available with a 4. My son's friend drives one and reports that his does not get very good gas mileage. I don't know what NVH is.

What do you guys think between 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech (30k) and 2015 RDX base (34k).
Plus of CX-5: - more technology - LED lights, etc
Plus of RDX: - NVH: smoother, quieter ride
To be fair, Acura RDX does have Jewel Eye LED headlights as the standard equipment. But its five LED array style looks ugly!

There are two "unique" features which are available only on Acura RDX / Honda:

• Timing belt - its 3.5L i-VTEC V6 is the only OHC V6 engine in the US still using out-of-date timing belt which requires expensive replacement every 10,5000 miles.
  • Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) - a cylinder deactivation system against the simple logic which failed by GM long time ago. It causes spark plug fouling, oil burning, and even engine replacement which prompted class-action lawsuit!

Does the 2016 really use a Timing Belt? I have no use for the cylinder deactivation system because of it being over complicated, requires premium fuel and, all this to get +1MPG increase on the highway rating.

http://www.acurapartsnow.com/acura/...c-engine/engine-cat/camshaft-timing-belt-scat

8d89be70d676e54519c1b26783fd4a81.gif

Does the 2016 really use a Timing Belt? I have no use for the cylinder deactivation system because of it being over complicated, requires premium fuel and, all this to get +1MPG increase on the highway rating.
Yes it's sad to see once the technology innovation leader now has fallen behind! Honda has truly lost its way in recent years. Refusing to use direct injection and do the simple modification from timing belt to timing chain on V6, in the mean time spending money on VCM and CVT are examples of Honda is heading to the wrong direction.

Yes it's sad to see once the technology innovation leader now has fallen behind! Honda has truly lost its way in recent years. Refusing to use direct injection and do the simple modification from timing belt to timing chain on V6, in the mean time spending money on VCM and CVT are examples of Honda is heading to the wrong direction.

Agreed!

They are rolling out direct injection in the 3.5 V6, albeit, slowly. The V6 in the entire Acura line up, with the exception of the RDX use the direct injection V6 now. Hasn't trickled down to Honda yet.

CVT's may be the wrong choice for enthusiasts, but they are very much part of the future.

Last edited:
my neighbour had one for 1 year and did not like it and complained that it was a real gas guzzler.
he just traded it for a new vw tiguan

Looks of a vehicle are obviously subjective but I just couldn't find an angle on the Forester that looks right to me.

If they were the same price with the same options, I would opt for the RDX for sure. It is very smoothe and quiet, plus you'd be getting an (almost) luxury car. However, with the price difference, the CX-5 might have the edge here.

Looks of a vehicle are obviously subjective but I just couldn't find an angle on the Forester that looks right to me.

I agree. The Outback just doesn't do it for me. If anything, I had briefly looked at the XV Crosstrek. The styling is much better, I think.

They are rolling out direct injection in the 3.5 V6, albeit, slowly. The V6 in the entire Acura line up, with the exception of the RDX use the direct injection V6 now. Hasn't trickled down to Honda yet.

CVT's may be the wrong choice for enthusiasts, but they are very much part of the future.
For 2016 MY, Acura finally announced the new 290hp direct injection 3.5L i-VTEC V-6 and new 9-speed automatic transmission available on more expensive models. But I still don't see Honda is giving up on timing belt and VCM which against the logic of better reliability、longevity and less maintenance.

The only bright spot is Honda is in favor of using traditional AT with more gears than CVT on Acura!

Back