Fixing a crooked rear bumper protector/scuff plate

samurai105

:
2016 CX-5 GT
Hi all,

Brand new CX-5 owner here and tried to install an OEM rear bumper scuff plate/protector. Followed the instructions/provided template and didn't realize the template was off before it was too late. The plate is centered but crooked. I would just like to take it off and reposition it. Luckily I didn't follow the template for the door sill kick plates and used tape to mark where they were going.

Would the method to take off the scuff plate be similar to debadging your car? (ie heating up the plate with a heat gun or hair dryer and using dental floss to saw at the double sided tape and taking off the remaining double sided tape with dishwashing soap?) It seems like the plate is stuck onto the bumper via double sided sticky tape so it seems like the same method should work?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes, the same way would work. I removed my OEM rear bumper scuff plate protector and swapped it for one from aliexpress. However, it was an absolute pain to remove. It got completely mangled when I removed it, because even with heat and dental floss it did NOT want to come off. I also used a ton of goo-gone to help loosen it while I sawed at it with dental floss.

Good luck...you're going to need it. (drinks)

for when you mangle the OEM one, consider this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...d-Plate-Trim-For-Mazda-12-13/32362137116.html

This is the one I currently have...looks better than OEM and covers MUCH more, including the lip of the bumper. I have had it for over a year, and it has held up well - no rust.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. More likely than not it seems like I'll need to find a new protective plate after I'm done. I wish I knew that the template was this far off (after removing the backing and everything before I stuck the thing on.

Back