2016 Constant squeaking brakes

My rear's squeak when they're cold and I begin to apply the brakes. I have only noticed this recently when the temperature has dropped below 30F. It is annoying, but not annoying enough for me to go deal with the dealership and potentially get the run around. If it gets any worse I'll handle it myself, I have dealt with numerous brake systems including swapping drum->disc and what not.

same thing here, mine squeak as well in the first few miles at low speed but it doesn't bother me enough to go to the dealer.

yep same here, 2016 cx-5, first really cold weather of the season, and I can hear a very slight low squeaking... exactly as jnasir described:

"2016 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD. Brakes only squealing from the rear when lightly applying the brakes and at slow speeds. Also, when releasing the brakes at 0mph and allowing the car to roll forward, there is a squeaking noise when the wheels start spinning (no brakes applied). "

it's a very slight squeak, not very noticeable unless you're hearing for it, if it gets louder, I'll take it in, only happens today when it was really cold out....

same like dnut99 video:

Last edited:
I bought a 2016 CX5 from McDonald on Broadway. Exact same noise you're describing. They said they couldn't replicate and have never heard of this noise before which can't be true since we're dealing with the same service department. Did you have any luck? I'm going back in November & would like to know if you figured this out. Thanks

I never did get anywhere. They replaced everything behind the wheel, and they still squeal. I finally just gave up and live with it.

Hmmm, Reading this thread I trying to find the conclusion here. So if replacing the pads/rotors with either OEM or aftermarket parts and said squeak continues then the problem may lie in the "Caliper Pins" needing to be lubricated and/or the switch to an electronic braking system.

I replaced my pads on my own a couple of months ago and now they squeal only when braking in reverse. Any thoughts? I replaced pads before on various cars with no problems (Toyota, Acura, Honda, Nissan, Subaru, Saturn, Volvo)...

Two services ago, the dealer put a "special goo" on the pads to prevent squeaking". However, the sound came back in a month or so. There explanation for the squeaking was that the compound they use will last forever, but the downside is that they squeak.

Today, I went for another service and complained about the brakes and the serviceman said, " they had a special webinar with corporate and they might have a new fix in 3 weeks ". He also said, " he has a Cx-5 and his brakes started squeaking right around 5K".

How much of that is true.... I have no idea. All I know noise is embarrassing and should not be part of a cars normal operation, especially a car thats less than a year old.

Two services ago, the dealer put a "special goo" on the pads to prevent squeaking". However, the sound came back in a month or so. There explanation for the squeaking was that the compound they use will last forever, but the downside is that they squeak.

Today, I went for another service and complained about the brakes and the serviceman said, " they had a special webinar with corporate and they might have a new fix in 3 weeks ". He also said, " he has a Cx-5 and his brakes started squeaking right around 5K".

How much of that is true.... I have no idea. All I know noise is embarrassing and should not be part of a cars normal operation, especially a car thats less than a year old.

I was wondering if there's been any update on this issue. My brakes have started to have the low speed squeak at just 3,000 miles. I work from home, so it's not like I'm using the brakes a bunch in stop and go traffic or anything. It's the first real issue I've had with the car since I purchased it new in April (2016.5 model).

Just FYI to the group, I've booked a service appointment for next week to have the squeak looked at. It was very bad tonight between taking my foot off the brake pedal, but before pressing the accelerator. Either the brake is not releasing fully, or perhaps a wheel bearing is not lubricated correctly. There is also a small squeak when pressing the brake at slow speed. Whatever the case may be, I'm exceptionally disappointed that my car with only 3,500 miles on it is already going into the shop. My previous car (2002 Toyota Solara) made it 165,000 with ever needing to go in for unscheduled service, so bringing in my CX-5 so early seems especially ominous for its long term reliability.

Anyway, I'll let the group know what they say and if it get's fixed.

My 2016 CX-5 had rear rotors replaced (under warranty) at 7000km (4350 miles) Dealer claimed they were rusted out. The vehicle now has 17000Km (10500 miles) and they are changing out the rear (again) and front rotors (under warranty) for rust issues. Local dealer claims I'm not using the vehicle enough. I am in contact with Mazada and they say they are researching to see if the problem is a wide spread issue. Other than having one or two rotors 'cut,' I have never had rotors replaced on any vehicle in 50 years of driving!

Hmmm, Reading this thread I trying to find the conclusion here. So if replacing the pads/rotors with either OEM or aftermarket parts and said squeak continues then the problem may lie in the "Caliper Pins" needing to be lubricated and/or the switch to an electronic braking system.

We bought our CX-5 GT in August of 2015 (2016 model). 11 months after having it (11,000 mi) brakes started squealing. Low speed, high speed, morning, evening, didn't matter. Then it just stopped. This went on (start/stop) for a few months. Took it back to dealer in February 2016. They replaced the brakes and rotors. Started having problem again. Went back in May 2016, they said there was a blemish on the brakes and some glazing. They shaved down and said we should be fine. Problem kept happening. Car is currently in shop. We mentioned the electronic braking system doesn't sound like it is releasing. Sounds like it is laboring when we press it to release it. Happens any time of day. They have a call in to their Mazda tech line and have kept it over night. Feel like the issue is the EBS not releasing all the way, but I guess we will see what they say. So far they have said we need our brakes replaced again. I guess brakes only last 6 months with this car. Mechanic claimed he also has this car and that this is just what happens with automatic cars. Husband had a Mazda 3 for 4 years, brakes or rotors never replaced nor any issues. Pretty frustrating.

Just FYI to the group, I've booked a service appointment for next week to have the squeak looked at. It was very bad tonight between taking my foot off the brake pedal, but before pressing the accelerator. Either the brake is not releasing fully, or perhaps a wheel bearing is not lubricated correctly. There is also a small squeak when pressing the brake at slow speed. Whatever the case may be, I'm exceptionally disappointed that my car with only 3,500 miles on it is already going into the shop. My previous car (2002 Toyota Solara) made it 165,000 with ever needing to go in for unscheduled service, so bringing in my CX-5 so early seems especially ominous for its long term reliability.

Anyway, I'll let the group know what they say and if it get's fixed.

Just got a call from the Service department at my dealership about my squeak issue. They're telling me they "found alot of dirt" in the brakes and that was causing the issue. Now, I've taken my car on dirt exactly 3 times in 4 months, so it seems either 1) unlikely to be the cause, or 2) this car isn't designed right if a little bit of dirt from a gravel road causes this issue. Also, the noise occurs when my foot is not on the brake, or gas....so I'm not sure why dirt would be an issue if the brakes aren't being applied. Anyway, they say the squeak is gone now (I haven't picked the car up yet). We'll see what happens, but I have a feeling I'll be back on this problem. At least there's no charge to me so far as this was looked at under warranty.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Noise from REAR BRAKE_Trace of Rear Brake Dragging (1).pdf
    180.3 KB · Views: 793
I've had same noise issue since first oil change from the dealer. Was told this was normal and nothing could be done. Noise has increased lately and now wife is on my case - and look what I've found...

*TSB from this thread: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...and-Electronic-Parking-Brake-Service-Bulletin

Will be scheduling an appointment soon with this TSB in hand...

I had the same issue but based on a recommendation from a fellow CX-5 owner I applied Mintex Ceratec grease on the brake pad ears and brake pad /caliper areas, problem hasn't come back since,

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I've tried CRC disc brake quiet and Permatex ceramic, BOTH not as good as the Mintex, the CRC turned to red gummy stretchy substance and the Permatex Ceramic turned to powdery dust under high temp from braking...... I think the issue is the lubricant Mazda is using from the factory, after a while the grease doesn;t work and you get the slight squeaking, only solution is to take the assembly apart and grease the brake pad contact points (pad ears and pad back that the calipers clamp on)..... also check the caliper pins to make sure they are not sticking, if they are lubricate with NAPA sil-glyde only, it won;t swell up the rubber like other products for caliper pins.

don't buy these below, use the Mintex Ceratec

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I had the same issue but based on a recommendation from a fellow CX-5 owner I applied Mintex Ceratec grease on the brake pad ears and brake pad /caliper areas, problem hasn't come back since,

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I've tried CRC disc brake quiet and Permatex ceramic, BOTH not as good as the Mintex, the CRC turned to red gummy stretchy substance and the Permatex Ceramic turned to powdery dust under high temp from braking...... I think the issue is the lubricant Mazda is using from the factory, after a while the grease doesn;t work and you get the slight squeaking, only solution is to take the assembly apart and grease the brake pad contact points (pad ears and pad back that the calipers clamp on)..... also check the caliper pins to make sure they are not sticking, if they are lubricate with NAPA sil-glyde only, it won;t swell up the rubber like other products for caliper pins.

don't buy these below, use the Mintex Ceratec

Man It would be great if you posted photos of the locations where you added lubrication to. You said that the sound went away...was this for the CX-5 with electronic parking brake? If so let me know what sections I'm missing:

Behind brake pad

edge of brake pads corners (where clips are)

sliding clips on calipers

on piston edge?

Thanks!!

Man It would be great if you posted photos of the locations where you added lubrication to. You said that the sound went away...was this for the CX-5 with electronic parking brake? If so let me know what sections I'm missing:

Behind brake pad

edge of brake pads corners (where clips are)

sliding clips on calipers

on piston edge?

Thanks!!

my issue wasn;t with the e-brake, issue was I was stupid and with a brand new car I wanted to keep it looking new so I used wheel cleaner to get the grime off, but have since found those spray on wheel cleaners are pretty strong and also strips brake grease causing squeaks, I returned all the wheel cleaners to Wal-mart for a refund and just clean wheels with a quick wipe and foamy car wash water. I will never use wheel cleaners again.

sorry I only have stock photo off the internet that I can use right now, but you get the idea,

red arrows, brake pad backs that touch the calipers clamps and the pad "ears" opposite pad would be the piston ring touching the back of the pads,

USE MINTEX,

DO NOT USE MINTEX for caliper pins, for the caliper sliding pins, use only NAPA sil-glyde....only if you need to, if your car is brand new there should be no need to lubricate the pins but just in case....

stay away from this crap,

it will strip the brake pad grease and cause squeaking, just hand wipe your wheels with sponge and foamy car wash water....

Last edited:
my issue wasn;t with the e-brake, issue was I was stupid and with a brand new car I wanted to keep it looking new so I used wheel cleaner to get the grime off, but have since found those spray on wheel cleaners are pretty strong and also strips brake grease causing squeaks, I returned all the wheel cleaners to Wal-mart for a refund and just clean wheels with a quick wipe and foamy car wash water. I will never use wheel cleaners again.

sorry I only have stock photo off the internet that I can use right now, but you get the idea,

red arrows, brake pad backs that touch the calipers clamps and the pad "ears" opposite pad would be the piston ring touching the back of the pads,

USE MINTEX,

DO NOT USE MINTEX for caliper pins, for the caliper sliding pins, use only NAPA sil-glyde....only if you need to, if your car is brand new there should be no need to lubricate the pins but just in case....

stay away from this crap,

it will strip the brake pad grease and cause squeaking, just hand wipe your wheels with sponge and foamy car wash water....

Ok got it. I will keep this in mind. I changed my front brake pads and rotors and lubed. Rears will get extra lubed up!!

I've had same noise issue since first oil change from the dealer. Was told this was normal and nothing could be done. Noise has increased lately and now wife is on my case - and look what I've found...

*TSB from this thread: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...and-Electronic-Parking-Brake-Service-Bulletin

Will be scheduling an appointment soon with this TSB in hand...
TSB R052/16A you mentioned and R052/16B for "Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging" which would replace the EPB control unit are out of date.

The latest TSB R052/16C which will replace the rear calipers、discs、and pads with revised parts due to the rear brake dragging resulting in overheating、noise and the outer disc pad abnormally worn out. Now Mazda believes the culprit is the poorly designed rear brake calipers for EPB, not the EPB control unit.

The TSB sets out several ways you can test your brakes yourself to see if the desrribed issue with calipers is in fact the problem with your car. Quite easy to do.

The TSB states that the issue with the rear calipers was an issue with fabrication tolerances/manufacturing variation, and the manufacturing process was revised to address it.

Calling that "poorly designed" is incorrect and an exaggeration.

TSB R052/16C - Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

The TSB sets out several ways you can test your brakes yourself to see if the desrribed issue with calipers is in fact the problem with your car. Quite easy to do.

The TSB states that the issue with the rear calipers was an issue with fabrication tolerances/manufacturing variation, and the manufacturing process was revised to address it.

Calling that "poorly designed" is incorrect and an exaggeration.
From TSB R052/16C - Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging:

CAUSE
This concern is caused by the EPB being not completely released.
The EPB control module judges that the parking brake is completely released when the current value flown to the motor (A) drops to the threshold, namely when the rotating torque of the spindle (B) drops.
Due to insufficient accuracy of the screw threads of the ball and ramp (C), the spindle (B) may idle momentarily during the EPB release operation causing the spindle rotating torque (the current value to the motor) to drop to the threshold before completely releasing the parking brake.

MASS PRODUCTION CHANGE
The ball and ramp has been modified to improve the accuracy of screw threads.
If there's a mass production change modifing the ball and ramp to improve the accuracy of the screw threads, it's a "poorly designed" products at beginning which is not up to the necessary accuracy hence causing the problems!

A quick update on my situation. As a reminder, my car had the squeak at low speeds when my foot was off the brake and gas pedal, just coasting, and I was told it was a rock stuck in the wheel. Well the squeak was back within a day and I had not gone off pavement since the rock was removed. The dealership asked me to come by so a tech. could listen and see if they could hear it. I went in and they were going to do a quick inspection after they heard the squeak (30 minutes tops they said). Anyway, 3.5 hours later with me sitting in the lobby :( they said they found a TSB relating to this issue (Mazda CX-5 TSB 04-004/17) and "lubricated" components and that it's a known issue and Mazda is trying to fix it.

Couple of things. 1) I searched for this TSB number, and I can't find it anywhere. 04-004/16 does relate to brake grinding, and the fix doesn't seem to have to do with lubrication. 2) If this is a known issue, why wasn't it fixed the first time I was in?!?

I have zero confidence this is actually fixed. If it comes back I'm going straight to Mazda USA, I hope they can find a fix and do a recall, this is super annoying to have in a car that's only 4 months old and I'm very disappointed that I gave up my 15 year old Toyota which had no issues for a brand new car that "out of the box" is having problems.

Back