2016 Constant squeaking brakes

I know this thread is a bit old but I'd like to chime in. I too have a similar problem. My '16.5 Touring squeals for the first 3 or 4 stops every time the brakes have cooled, get them warmed up and they're quiet.

Same model Mazda, same exact issue. Have a date with the dealership in a week. From previous posts, I'll go to the appointment with no expectations of a real resolution. I will escalate as needed, should it come to that.

I'd follow Cobra jet's recommendation and lubricate the caliper bolt or guide pin {Caution a little bit goes a long way} you'll need a 7mm hex socket to undo the bolt, some high heat caliper grease also check the guide rail that the brake pads slide on for grease and if needed lightly grease the rail. Note you do not want grease on the brake pads or rotor. below is a guide to review. also check with several mechanics about the use or benefit of a shim behind the back brake pad.

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Mazda-Mazda3-Rear-Brake-Pads-Replacement-Guide/
http://repairpal.com/rear-brakes-squeaking-203

Last edited:
Same here. Took it to the dealer and said to come back before the year is up to do a warranty claim, but this seems to be a know problem

If the dealer won't do anything then pull your pads out..pop out your clips, clean underneath them and apply a small amount of grease, grease the clips. Then pull your slider pins and apply small amount of grease. Spray you rotors with brake cleaner and wipe em down. Put back together and pray they last more than 15k miles..

I finally just gave up. They replaced everything to new, and they started squeaking within 24 hrs again.

Is this a joke? April 1st? ALL disc BRAKES squeal, some. It's completely normal. Yes! You should hear the carbon pads on my MX-5! Pads with a higher coefficient of friction tend to squeal more, in my experience. So, you might well be giving up stopping power if you insist on quiet pads.

The squeak you all are experiencing is it a loud very pronounced squeak or a very faint barely noticeable ?

My brakes squeak a little, i can hear it mostly when pulling out of the garage, sometimes during driving with the windows down ever so faintly.

So I’m wondering if what I have is also due to caliper guides needing lube or its just normal brake noise because of the brake pad material . Its now been 1 year since i bought it and I just did my first oil change at 4800 today. I might lube the caliper guides this week.

My Evo squeaked pretty loud at times, but that was because of the Brembo brakes and pads which had more higher coefficient of friction and from what I heard “metal” content. (sports brakes)

Last edited:
Happens to my 2016 when backing out. I do always use the electronic parking brake out of habit. Not sure if that affects anything.

Me too. Backing up only though; and BOY is it annoying! It is more of a loud hum rather than a squeal. Not the average disc brake squeal.

The squeak you all are experiencing is it a loud very pronounced squeak or a very faint barely noticeable ?

My brakes squeak a little, i can hear it mostly when pulling out of the garage, sometimes during driving with the windows down ever so faintly.

So Im wondering if what I have is also due to caliper guides needing lube or its just normal brake noise because of the brake pad material . Its now been 1 year since i bought it and I just did my first oil change at 4800 today. I might lube the caliper guides this week.

My Evo squeaked pretty loud at times, but that was because of the Brembo brakes and pads which had more higher coefficient of friction and from what I heard metal content. (sports brakes)

only the early model evo 8's squealed. Hardly any of the 9's had that problem. I'm on my fifth evo and only the 8 in 2005 had that prob

PS my cx-5 one's squeal too which is stupid for a commuter car

only the early model evo 8's squealed. Hardly any of the 9's had that problem. I'm on my fifth evo and only the 8 in 2005 had that prob

PS my cx-5 one's squeal too which is stupid for a commuter car

I had the Evo IX. The OEM brakes also squeaked under certain conditions. However I should have mentioned that I switched over to "Racing Brake" pads (big mistake) and they squeaked/squealed way too much and way loud. So I guess it depends on the aftermarket pads. I remember when I bought the EVO the Dealership asked me to watch some video clip about the EVO and the brakes how the OEM can make noise sometimes and it was normal etc...

Damn I miss that car. One day it will be mine again!

Last edited:
Heres a video of my squeaky brakes. You might have to turn up the volume in order to hear it. Keep in my mind that my foot is not resting on the brake pedal the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97fwTIQK9UE

Thanks for posting that. That is way louder than mine and mine only slightly squeaks when pressing the brakes sometimes not always. The pads or brakes dont drag on mine.

So its safe to say that the guide pins needing lube is for experiencing brakes dragging issue (squeal when not pressed) ?

Same thing is happening on our 2016 cx GT that we got brand new last November.
Loud squeezing noise when braking from low speeds.

We mentioned it to dealership while first service was performed 4 months ago (8000km) they lubed all pins, and sent us our way.
We have second maintenance scheduled next week (16000km) and we have already brought up that we want them to sort this issue as its obviously either pads or disks.
Another thing that they will be looking at is vibrating drivers mirror at highway speeds.
Has anyone had their mirror replaced/fixed (I know that this was also issue for 2013-2015 models)

https://youtu.be/YdEgCZC2yzg

So after today's visit at dealership that we have purchased car from (Metrotown Mazda, Vancouver Canada) they have replaced rear brake pads. Thety tried to let me know that this was first year with electric parking brake, and that there might be some issues with it.
They mentioned that replacing brake pads solved squeaking issue on their demo car. Still no info from mazda regarding shaky drivers mirror.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Is this a joke? April 1st? ALL disc BRAKES squeal, some. It's completely normal. Yes! You should hear the carbon pads on my MX-5! Pads with a higher coefficient of friction tend to squeal more, in my experience. So, you might well be giving up stopping power if you insist on quiet pads.

Yes ALL squeal SOME. Mine squeal A LOT! I'm not 16yo with my first car! ;)

Heres a video of my squeaky brakes. You might have to turn up the volume in order to hear it. Keep in my mind that my foot is not resting on the brake pedal the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97fwTIQK9UE

My 2016 CX5 sounds exactly the same after 4000 miles. Have you figured it out yet? My dealer said they couldn't replicate and I live 2 hours from a Mazda dealer so I would like to know before I bring it down there again. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks

McDonald on Broadway

I bought a 2016 CX5 from McDonald on Broadway. Exact same noise you're describing. They said they couldn't replicate and have never heard of this noise before which can't be true since we're dealing with the same service department. Did you have any luck? I'm going back in November & would like to know if you figured this out. Thanks

Last edited:
I did 17 years testing and developing brakes for Ferodo (you guys might know it as Federal Mogul) and I’m bewildered by some of the comments in this thread.

“All brakes squeal” - No they don’t. They can squeal under certain conditions but it certainly isn’t normal.

“Most pads are ceramic” - no they aren’t. Most pads are made from steel fibre, friction modifiers like silica (abrasive) or carbon (lubricant) some of which are active at different temperatures and they are all bonded together in an oil based resin which is what stinks if you get them hot (you can sometimes smell it on trucks if you follow them down hills).

"The discs/pads are glazed”. It depends what is meant by this. Discs and pads will only work as designed if they are very clean and very shiny. The same applies to a freight train loco. If the wheels and rails are very clean and shiny, the loco can get thousands of tons moving even up grade and even in the wet BUT, put humble leaves on the line and it won’t move an inch. The secret is perfectly smooth and clean surfaces and how hard you push them together and on that loco, it has the footprint the size of a dime which imposes phenomenal pressure. In the case of brake pads, the same applies. Huge hydraulic pressure (you can easily apply 1500 psi in the hydraulic system) working on a 1.5-2 inch piston. So the comment about being glazed? I’ll allow that to be true if it refers to them being contaminated and in that case, the best way to clean them is to get them hot.

So what about these squealing CX-5s then? Well first of all you need to understand brake squeal. When a pad grips a disc, if you look on a micro scale what is happening, there is a moment in time when a pad welds itself to the disc (caused by the abrasive content but NOT a rough surface) and a moment when it breaks free (see, there’s an example of the word break and not brake!!!). This stick/slip process is perfectly normal and the way all pad/disc relationships work. Apply it to a more practical example. Wet your finger and run it round an empty wine glass. When the finger dries enough, it will start to stick/slip and the resultant impact at the time of the stick/slips taking place, all joint together and give a constant joined up noise - many little taps of the glass give one perceivable ring - its the same on a disc brake. Here’s the difference though. It only happens when the pad and disc are in contact - not in the “off brake” condition. Also, when the pads come under pressure, it has the effect of dampening the vibration - the same would happen if you pressed heavily on the wine glass. How is this all dealt with in a brake? Well they have gone to an awful lot of trouble to stop it. The pad itself has a layer of dampening material stuck to it and then there are a one or a number of shims - all of which have been specially designed to absorb vibration. The problem comes when something stops them from doing their job and that something is usually nothing more than dirt sticking them all together. After a number of miles, depending on duty levels and environmental conditions, the pads become very dirty. Inside that wheel is one of the most vile inhospitable environments on earth with heat, cold and rain lashing round them and they are fed by a constant supply of road dirt and wear debris from the pads. The result is those dampeners get stuck solid and the pads often stay in slight contact with the disc - a beautiful bell if ever there was one and much better at ringing than a wine glass. So when the dealer takes the car in the garage, the mechanic looks in the brake calliper and sees just what he is expecting to see - a dirty calliper. with no apparent faults. Sure, he gets his SnapOn screwdriver and forces the calliper open and a quick dab of copper grease and then declares no fault to the customer. Well here’s the thing. It will never be any better unless he pulls it apart and cleans the pads, shims and the abutments which on mazdas are fitted with very high quality stainless pressure springs at the abutments. I wash my car at least once a week and use a pressure washer every time. When I wash the wheels I also pressure wash the callipers through the wheels and I never get brake squeal. I accept this is not always possible for owners and in some cases they never get washed but you can’t blame the car or the friction material when they squeal. You could have a car that never gets washed and never squeals because they see enough heavy duty work to self clean and never allow dirt to build between the layers of shims. These will wear out quicker because brake wear rises exponentially with temperature. The squeal itself does not harm, it is more of an annoyance so if the conditions are right to generate noise you could either have them regularly stripped and cleaned or just ignore it.

To finalise, a couple of points. Never, ever use copper or aluminium grease to lubricate brake parts. It is clay based and after a very short time, the lubricant content disappears leaving the clay base to stick all the parts together. Instead, just normal high melting point bearing grease will last much longer and is perfectly capable of dealing with all but very spirited driving or competitions. The same goes for that hub where the the wheel mounts! There is a special grease called Ceratec which is designed for brakes. Nothing beats it and you should be able to get it or an equivalent ceramic based grease over there. It looks just like normal bearing grease.

Finally, if anyone says “the pads are hard” tell them of course they are hard, they are bloody brake pad - made from steel fibre and resin!!!

Last edited:
just my .02 cents, for those with squealing brakes, for my previous car I washed the rims religiously and found out the hard way those spray on cleaners/degreasers for brake dust and road grime aren't really good for brakes and rotors, right after washing the rims with those cleaners, I always had the squeaking brakes. Once I stopped using that stuff, the squeaks went away. Also don't spray cold water while the rotors and pads are still hot. The thermal shock is not good for the brakes.

Last edited:
just my .02 cents, for those with squealing brakes, for my previous car I washed the rims religiously and found out the hard way those spray on cleaners/degreasers for brake dust and road grime aren't really good for brakes and rotors, right after washing the rims with those cleaners, I always had the squeaking brakes. Once I stopped using that stuff, the squeaks went away. Also don't spray cold water while the rotors and pads are still hot. The thermal shock is not good for the brakes.
Brake pads are capable of absorbing a small amount of moisture which raises the friction and that will explains the noise to some extent. Totally agree about quenching hot brake parts too.

Back